shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry pet peeves!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of my current biggest pet peeves... i.e. jewels I cannot purchase ;( ;( ;(

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.27.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.27.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.26.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.26.26 AM.png

10caratdangles.jpg

;(

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, we can dream, and yours can become realities, whereas some of mine will forever be dreams only!

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain some paved items look very nice, and have some myself, like the diamond drops that I commissioned. And I definitely won't say no to anything by the likes of VCA!

However, it is this kind of monstrosity that I do not like, and this set incidentally is listed as 1,599 GBP reduced from 3,199 GBP at one of high street jewellers in the UK, no joke :sick:!

Cluster Monstrosity.JPG

Hence I don't buy anything substantial jewellery in UK!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate screw backs for earrings.

Due to the shape of my earlobes, I can only wear round/square/octagonal/etc. earrings with the posts in the middle. Hence my heart will sink when I find a pair of earrings that I like, to find their posts are not in the centre.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Due to the shape of my earlobes, I can only wear round/square/octagonal/etc. earrings with the posts in the middle. Hence my heart will sink when I find a pair of earrings that I like, to find their posts are not in the centre.

Omg yes. I’m all seriousness I can’t tolerate screw backs. There a joke in there somewhere but I’m not touching it. ;-)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great thread!!!
My biggest pet peace is dirty yucky rings especially especially engagement rings. Some people never take them off to clean them. They may as bought an I3 clarity!!!! Whenever I see one I want to offer to clean it so I can see the true beauty of the stone!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread!!!
My biggest pet peace is dirty yucky rings especially especially engagement rings. Some people never take them off to clean them. They may as bought an I3 clarity!!!! Whenever I see one I want to offer to clean it so I can see the true beauty of the stone!

I totally agree with you! I have seen some stinkers that I would love to give a good clean to remove the thick gunk that is caked to the stone. I would need gloves for that job though:sick:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Anything non-platinum or below 18K gold as my skin is very sensitive, rings that are snug, and dirty jewelry!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some things I see other people wearing that are pet peeves.

People who have double pierced ears and wear a long earring or hoop in the upper hole, and a stud on the lobe. Whaaa?

People who wear crescent moon earrings in the wrong ears!!! (See example below)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the earrings frame your face?
Worn like this, my eye wanders away from the face. It just looks so awkward.
I think some folks lack a sense of design, and how the earrings are meant to be worn.
1601304924088.png

Last edited:
Here are some things I see other people wearing that are pet peeves.

People who have double pierced ears and wear a long earring or hoop in the upper hole, and a stud on the lobe. Whaaa?

I think some folks lack a sense of design, and how the earrings are meant to be worn.
1601304924088.png

*raises hand* occasionally guilty of your first point! It just looks a bit edgy idk I like how it looks :D

@missy, we can dream, and yours can become realities, whereas some of mine will forever be dreams only!

@AllAboardTheBlingTrain some paved items look very nice, and have some myself, like the diamond drops that I commissioned. And I definitely won't say no to anything by the likes of VCA!

However, it is this kind of monstrosity that I do not like, and this set incidentally is listed as 1,599 GBP reduced from 3,199 GBP at one of high street jewellers in the UK, no joke :sick:!

Cluster Monstrosity.JPG

That thing is 1600 pounds??? Should be illegal to charge those prices!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That thing is 1600 pounds??? Should be illegal to charge those prices!

That's the discounted price too!!!

Crazy prices here in UK!

The most expensive ring on that website is a 1.5ct round in a proprietary cut that has 73 facets, in P1 clarity and I colour, 18K WG, at a grand price of 13.5k GBP!!!

DK :roll2:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1. Dirty jewelr
2. Touchy-feely people who try to touch my jewelry and purses.

A big yes to number 2! Especially those people who somehow manage to put their thumb right onto the table of the stone, presumably knowing (or maybe not? but how not?) that it will leave an oily fingerprint. I have to physically stop myself from pulling my hand away when I can see it happening - the look of someone else’s greasy fingerprint there is like nails on a blackboard to me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cluster Monstrosity.JPG

This hurts my eyes...

rungirl

Shiny_Rock

I'm so glad you said this! I have a pair of sweet little gold leaf earrings with each earring pointing a different direction When I put them on I obsess about which one goes in which ear, making sure the pointy end of each leaf points forward. I figured I was just being a little OCD about it! :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some of my current biggest pet peeves... i.e. jewels I cannot purchase ;( ;( ;(

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.27.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.27.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.26.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.26.26 AM.png

10caratdangles.jpg

;(
:appl: :lol::kiss2::lickout:

OMG i want that square one !
If you get it can i just hold it (or sleep with it under my pillow )

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dirty jewelry, I just can’t. I have an aunt who wears rings on every finger and they are filthy. Both bother me, rings on every finger is just too much.

Over the summer I social distance visited with the mother of one of my son's friends. I kid you not that I could literally see the grime from six feet away on her diamond ring. Mind you I only have half vision in one eye! I was like noooooo we can't be friends :sick:

I just don't think it occurs to some people that jewelry should be cleaned no idea why though :wall:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the summer I social distance visited with the mother of one of my son's friends. I kid you not that I could literally see the grime from six feet away on her diamond ring. Mind you I only have half vision in one eye! I was like noooooo we can't be friends :sick:

I just don't think it occurs to some people that jewelry should be cleaned no idea why though :wall:

Didn't you just want to tackle her and yank the ring off her finger?
And then run to get a hot bowl of Dawn water?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock

Hahaha, I think that too! It’s a friend dealbreaker.
It drove me nuts when people I worked with wouldn’t take their rings off When putting on lotion. yuck

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I’m with you on bezels! I like them sometimes, if they’re very delicate and milgrained for example, but otherwise no. I think DBTYs can look nice and delicate, but then they’re uncomfortable. I also like substantial bling and somehow DBTYs don’t do it for me though I like them on others :)

My peeve with DBTY is the constant flipping. Really flipping of pendants or necklaces in general make me nuts. I will fidget too much with them.

Cluster Monstrosity.JPG

Ok that is just wrong and at that price! When I say I'm not a lover of pave or halos this is exactly what I envision. Funny thing is that on PS pieces those things can look amazing, but that is not what I see in the wild.

Rest of my list
I despise feeling stones or prongs against the inside of my fingers. Learned that the hard way. I'm super sensitive for whatever reason. Same reason I can't do knife edge, just doesn't feel good.

I want to love wearing middle finger and ring finger rings but I'm perpetually paranoid they will scratch each other. That and i don't have the matching genius to look harmonious. So one finger per hand at a time.

Super obvious milgrain. If the only way I know there is milgrain is if I touch it or look with a loupe then I love it. I'm a weirdo I know.

Dirty jewelry +1 a friend was resetting her mom's first ER and it was filthy. She had a great time torturing me saying "I can see how bad you wanna wash this but I don't care" she eventually took it to DK for the redesign and I swear the color of that diamond improve 5 grades

Re: spinning, I prefer eternities but can live with halfs or bands with only stones on the very top. BUT I drive myself crazy as I had an eternity made with a solid gold space for sizing and now it always seems to spin so that part is facing up. Drives me nuts.

Bands that are the not the same height.
High settings, just asking to be whacked off.
Closed galleries. I can't clean them easily and then when I do water gets stuck. All my rings for the most part have huge open galleries, one reason I like vintage eternities with their wide open insides
And thanks to PS, pretty much commercial cut stones and mall store pieces in general. Not a knock on anyone and some are lovely but as a general rule esp knowing good quality at the same price exists.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And a toothbrush! It would have to be a hard bristled one though to get through all that crud.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no excuse for dirty rings and earings
One particular chain of mall jewlers do free cleaning - i let my freind do mum's emerald- she did know not to put it in the ultra sonic

gunk is one thing but pity the rings that don't fit and never get any sort of check up from a jewler and have looses and worn prongs

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh so many things :errrr:

• Top heavy rings that keep spinning
  • High set stones
  • Overly chunky claws
  • Too many damn halos :lol:
  • Mixed metals - this can look great OR just really thoughtless :shifty:
  • Too much of everything ie. rings on every finger
  • Dirty rings & earrings, just wash them already!
  • Toe rings :sick:
  • Frozen spit diamonds, especially if it's clear they went for size over quality.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t like dirty jewelry and I don’t like when people bang their rings on counters or in general are really careless about their rings. I also don’t like when people wear their rings and stick their hands in food to mix like flour or meat. Wear gloves or take them off!
The sound of metal hitting counters just annoys me. My mom used to do this when she cleaned the kitchen counters. It used to bug the crap out of me. She also was really careless about her rings bc as she put it - diamonds are made of the hardest material on earth. She never took them off and did everything with them on.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
1. More than one ring on each hand. Rare exceptions if the pieces are complimentary.

2. Double halos.

3. Tiny stones meant to appear large.

4. Mixed metals worn at the same time.

5. 99.9 % of cluster rings, especially with very small gems.

6: women's styles worn by men. Except while in drag.

7. 99.9999999% of lab created or synthetic gemstones.

8. Gems that are not a good representative of their species. Severe dislike of most aquamarines because of this.

9. Gems that have no light play, "dead" gems.

10. Rings that appear too small for the hand they lay on.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

My mother does this..She never cleans her jewelry. I have to beg her to put them in the ultrasonic. It grosses me out when I’m done cleaning them because things are floating in the ultrasonic. :sick: I scrub them...soak them overnight..run the ultrasonic...brush them again...I do this process over a few days. I clean the ultrasonic after each run. When they’re done I disinfect the ultrasonic! She also wears a ring on each finger on both hands...She lives with me so I can’t avoid looking at them..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@dk168 You can definitely have the posts moved! I had that done a long time ago. I had mine moved from the top to the center. I just went to a local jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results