shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry general "habits" in England : anyone know ? :)

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if this thread is silly or if the English isn't right =)2

I'm moving to England really soon and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the general style tendencies :). Of course I don't want to seem like I'm saying that everyone is the same, but I mean general things, ex: in Europe, diamond ring sizes are often < USA =)2

I would be so grateful for any info / advice =)2

JoeQueen

Rough_Rock
Jewellery is a lot more expensive in England, compared to America. This is part of the reason why you don’t see most people walking around with big flashy pieces. Also, not uncommon to see 9kt gold being sold in certain places. In the US, the minimum you usually see is 10kt in department stores.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It's much more "anything goes" and not a marker or wealth or status as it seems to be in the US. Wealthy people may wear tiny e-rings or none at all. Or massive honkers. Unusual, unique pieces will draw more attention and admiration. Some people are heaped with jewellery, some wear none. There is a slight cultural perception of wearing loads of 9k gold being a bit "working class" but again you won't be judged for it.

There are no expectations really. Diamonds are generally smaller and everything is more expensive (and mostly worse quality). While people don't tend to wear big diamonds, no one will mind if you do. They might well assume it's CZ.

Strangely though, it seems much easier to get good quality custom work - there are a lot of excellent goldsmiths in each area.

Read "Watching the English" by Kate Fox for a good description of how things work subconsciously!

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am actually jealous, lucky gal! The last time I was in England was many many years ago and I wasn't fortunate enough to own much jewelry then. One thing I do know is England has a lot of antique jewelry stores, a lot of unique places where you can find all kinds of fun pieces, that's of course only if you are into them. For me, I've grown to admire antique pieces, the thought of knowing they are all one of a kind. There's just so much history in each piece and let alone the amazing craftsmanship.

Enjoy your time there, I am sure you'll find a lot of interesting places. Sorry, I didn't answer your question, but I want to say I am super exited for you!!:appl:

cheers to a new adventure!

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a whole thread about this somewhere...

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I searched for England but didn’t find it ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if this thread is silly or if the English isn't right =)2

I'm moving to England really soon and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the general style tendencies :). Of course I don't want to seem like I'm saying that everyone is the same, but I mean general things, ex: in Europe, diamond ring sizes are often < USA =)2

I would be so grateful for any info / advice =)2

Wear whatever you like, I do!

However, us Brits tend to be more modest when it comes to size, in that 0.5ct seems to be the norm for engagement rings.

My 1.19ct EC that I wear as a RHR is considered as large! It is certainly the largest in my social and work circles.

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of the above. Wear what you like & don't worry about it! We are a very non judgemental nation.

I have friends who don't even own a diamond, and yet a Teaching Assistant at the school where I work wears a stunning 2.5 carat cushion in a halo on her teeny tiny finger.

Enjoy your stay!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd say it depends on where you are planning to live to a degree. For instance, almost 40% of Londoners weren't born in the UK, it's a very mixed society, so the average experience/consensus in a traditional rural area might be very different to a big city. Come with what you have and see what you feel comfortable wearing once you're here, if I haven't misunderstood your question!

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your replies :love: !!!!

I'm actually leaving tomorrow ! So last minute nerves =)2

I like small and dainty, so I might fit in =)2

I will be in Liverpool city centre !

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in Liverpool on a cruise. What a fun city! Enjoy!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I have family up in Liverpool and agree that you can go blingy if you want!

Also, most people aren't likely to know / recognise branded jewellery, but do take care especially if you'll be there by yourself

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much :). I actually arrived last night !!!! So excited I could barely sleep :love:

I don't have a huge jewelry collection, but do have a couple of pieces that in terms of my budget are expensive (ex: if I layer my dbty with my Tiffany bean + diamond studs I would be out so much money!!!! + the sentimental value....)

So I'm thinking I'll stick with my new baby melee diamond studs (that I have a recent thread about) and maybe add some fun jewelry, the first couple of weeks, and just observe =)2. I am supposed to be in a safe place though=)2

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much :). I actually arrived last night !!!! So excited I could barely sleep :love:

I don't have a huge jewelry collection, but do have a couple of pieces that in terms of my budget are expensive (ex: if I layer my dbty with my Tiffany bean + diamond studs I would be out so much money!!!! + the sentimental value....)

So I'm thinking I'll stick with my new baby melee diamond studs (that I have a recent thread about) and maybe add some fun jewelry, the first couple of weeks, and just observe =)2. I am supposed to be in a safe place though=)2

Hi @cvalier26 welcome to the uk!! :wavey:
You should be fine wearing all of that at once if you choose to. You would probably get more attention wearing head to toe designer name brand clothes and an expensive hand bag. Provided you dress subtly, enjoy wearing your jewellery!!

Liverpool has some amazing museums and galleries do try and seek them out

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to UK!

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! I will be in Liverpool for the day next Saturday for a lunch event - I live about 35 minutes drive away in Cheshire.

It's a great & diverse city - anything goes!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @cvalier26 welcome to the uk!! :wavey:
You should be fine wearing all of that at once if you choose to. You would probably get more attention wearing head to toe designer name brand clothes and an expensive hand bag. Provided you dress subtly, enjoy wearing your jewellery!!

Liverpool has some amazing museums and galleries do try and seek them out

The Liverpool World Museum is fab! Definitely go. There are loads of other museums in the city centre.

I would also wear everything on your list however you like, it sounds beautiful!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Have fun in the UK.

Smaller pieces for sure is what I notice in the UK, as a tourist or when I lived there. I would say size isn’t king even in the poshest of circles. You’ll notice more sappphires, gIven the stones history in the upper classes. I also found that watches, not a smart watch, be that an Omega, Rolex or Cartier are more common in Europe than in the US amongst those who can afford them.

And compared to certain parts of the US, not sure where you’re moving from, you’re going to be wearing gloves more than you have in the past. I find glove wearing really impacts what I wear.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your lovely welcome messages :love:

I’m actually moving from the south of France, quite the weather change =)2

Today wasn’t really that cold, « adaptation en douceur » :)

People seem nice, it’s a bit hard for me as a bit of an introvert, I got a little overwhelmed a couple of times, but I guess it’s also the stresses of the country change =)2

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your lovely welcome messages :love:

I’m actually moving from the south of France, quite the weather change =)2

Today wasn’t really that cold, « adaptation en douceur » :)

People seem nice, it’s a bit hard for me as a bit of an introvert, I got a little overwhelmed a couple of times, but I guess it’s also the stresses of the country change =)2

The Liverpudlians are a welcoming lot - just takes a wee bit of time.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everyone seems to be into costume jewellery or trendy fast fashion gold plated stuff (layered necklaces and tiny stacked rings and earrings). Also 9ct is everywhere and as expensive or more expensive than 14ct gold in other countries...

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone :)

Thought I'd give you a little update :)

They are indeed nice if only need a bit of time to warm up to :)
You were right about the gold haha :)

I'm seeing mostly more or less "refined" costume jewelry, albeit I'm a student back to school for an additional professional degree, but so are they. That's fine, I brought my own stock of costume :)
tempImageT9jcHL.png tempImageyc3cZZ.png
So I figured I would just keep it simple for now :). Here is today's :
- Tiffany olive leaf band silver
- Olivia burton bunny watch
- .14 melee diamond studs

Thank you all so much for your advice :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
here (in NZ) we generally wouldn't call 9 or 10 k coustume because its still expensive, just not as exspensive
back in the day my mum only wore 18k

costume is the really fun stuff at accessory counters that is plated or just 'gold' and 'silver' coloured often with true fake stones

i think there is defiatly a difference in the jewlery markets/customs of the US and UK (and commonwealth countries like NZ & Australia)

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Yes thank you :)
I do feel like I had a lot of "intermediate" fun stuff that I didn't bring for some reason :), oh well it will be for next aller-retour :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes thank you :)
I do feel like I had a lot of "intermediate" fun stuff that I didn't bring for some reason :), oh well it will be for next aller-retour :)

that's a shame for them - they would have had fun ;)2

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
To be honest I like it here but I do feel like I'm going to do a quick trip back to south of France soon just to get a weekend of sunshine :) and remember back home :). I'm not sure why I feel this way, I don't feel like I need to go every two weeks or anything, just this one time :) (or maybe after the one time I'll want a second time :)... hoping I'll have settled in more at that point though)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results