shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry fickleness. How do you deal with it?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up until one month ago, I was sure that I wanted a specific gold bracelet that I had been admiring for a least a full 12 months. I bought one, wore it for less than half a day, and then just went, meh... And returned it. And now that need to buy it is completely gone. How does that happen? I'm lucky I could return it. I thought waiting 12 months would help me not only be certain, but be right was well. How do you all deal with this? How long do you wait before you commit to actually plopping down good money for a piece of jewelry. I need some better strategies. I get so annoyed at myself for being totally obsessed with a piece and then just feeling "meh" about it after I get it. Can you share at least one piece that you have bought and never regretted and one you where you did? I regret a couple of bands I got. I still have them. I never wear them. I do not regret the setting Victor did for my OEC.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you are actually enjoying is the “desiring”, that’s why when you get it, the “thrill” evaporates.
It’s just how some people are, I’m a bit them same. I actually enjoy the “searching” for the “perfect / best priced” what have you and the actual “getting” isn’t as satisfying as the “searching”.
So you might find it difficult to find that piece of jewellery that enthralls you as much after you get it.
I’ve got probably 50 watches (I collect them) but there’s only 2 that I truly love and wouldn’t sell. Why the other 48? Well, I loved them more before I got them and now, meh. So from time to time I sell off some of them to fund other “wants”.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - I bought a preloved brand name bangle off LT got it and have never worn it. Ho hum.... At least you could return yours.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s because the thrill is in the chase, once you’ve got it, the thrills gone. I desperately wanted a Colombian emerald, waited and waited till I found the one I wanted and I’ve worn it a couple of times :oops:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Items I LOVE and never regretted for 1 single second:
- Lotus ring
- pave Cartier Love bracelet
- VCA Perlee bangle (I love it so much, I plan to get another one in WG later)
- BGD earrings (planning to upgrade later though to bigger ones)

Items I am ambivalent about:
- Lotus earrings (they hurt my delicate ears, lol)
- plain Cartier Love bangles
- VCA Sweet pave bracelet

Items I fully regret buying:
- most of my coloured stone bling
- some pearls

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom, part of the issue is that I think you just aren't sure what looks great on you and is practical and comfortable enough to wear as often as you would like to. So while we all adore and love things from afar once we are actually wearing it and seeing how it incorporates into our lifestyle our thoughts about it can change. Does that make sense?

Plus the thrill of the hunt also adds that adrenaline rush so maybe in a way we are adrenaline junkies when it comes to bling. I know I steer away from perceived danger re athletic feats and such but when it comes to big expensive bling I dive right in. So that is how I (and maybe you too) get my adrenaline rush/boost. Especially during your busy season. Helps take the stress and focus off work a bit I think.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The main thing is you stick with your loved ones (friends and family) and don't keep changing them for someone more exciting or beautiful. So enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the pure joy from acquiring just the right classic ad beautiful pieces in your jewelry repertoire that will continue to bring you joy. You still love MK right? And for the accessory bling change isn't all bad so as long as you can trade in or upgrade or sell (if you so choose) remember variety is the spice of life when it comes to certain things. Have fun with it and enjoy.

And you have a gorgeous bling collection.:love:

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have more of a jewelry setting fickleness that I noticed began with my large (for me) diamond upgrade. I never had this issue when I had my smaller (.5ct) original diamond. Sure, I’d eventually get bored and change the setting, but after 15 years, not 6 months like now. I can’t seem to get the setting right for my 2ct diamond and it’s driving me crazy. The thrill of the hunt might be part of it, but I really don’t enjoy the feeling of wasting money on a new setting just to realize after wearing it for a bit that something really bothers me. I wish there was a questionnaire I could fill out that would ultimately recommend the perfect setting style for me, and save me from these mistakes :wall: I don’t (never did) wear a lot of jewelry, and RHR’s don’t feel comfortable physically to wear at all, so it’s pretty much my e-ring and earrings.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just dream rather than buy anything? It works for me! (admittedly that's mostly due to a lack of money)

I agreed that the thrill of the hunt is probably a big part of the excitement during and the dissatisfaction after purchasing.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Adrenaline rush.

FM

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m happy with my new diamond. Apparently it is my holy grail, as everything else I’ve bought, except a pair of small earrings, lives in the safe or the safe deposit box.
I have no desire to wear any ot it, nor does it elicit any feelings. It’s just stuff.
I don’t feel terrible about this, but it seems kind of silly now how driven I was to obtain it.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the searching and planning fulfills the needs of my creative/planning side. My line of work doesn’t tap in to that and I find I get stir crazy if I don’t have an exciting “project” to work on and obsess over. Once that “project” is done, I move on to the next thing. And yes, it sucks when it results in misused bling funds. I have several DY pieces that were victims of that kind of planning/obsessing frenzy :whistle:

P

PierreBear

A lot of wisdom already shared and @missy might have hit it on the nail that it might be tied to busy season and wanting some relief or distraction. I personally am not fond of the "chase" and trying to find the stone and the setting gives me more anxiety than anything else. What if you timed your jewelry purchases to hit birthdays, holidays, and anniversaries then perhaps with that extra sentimental value you might find that enjoyment lasting longer? I think you have wonderful taste in jewelry so hope you get to the heart of it so you can keep adding to your beautiful collection. Hope you are doing well and have a great day!! :wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time I try to get around the uncertainty by buying a similar style in costume jewelry which lets me wear it for a while to figure out whether that particular piece works for me.

As far as regrets, I'm beginning to think that the gold necklace DH got for me as present after the birth of our second child might be one. I wanted a chunky gold piece for a very long time and, of course, I picked it out myself but didn't follow my own rules of test driving a similar style. I love the necklace but it doesn't work with most of my tops so I've only worn it couple of times in almost 2 years. Annoys me a lot to have it sit unworn.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to edit my post but it’s too late.
After thinking more about this, I believe it has more to do with changing taste, being more educated about stones & styles, and finally, knowing what you really want. At first it is all so blingly and beautiful, then one begins to match bling to personality...leaving the
« experiments » behind. Does that make sense?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do this all the time.
I get obsessed with a particular gem or style, search high and low for the perfect thing in the perfect price range.
Then when I finally get it in my hot little hands, usually the thrill is gone. :(2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do this all the time.
I get obsessed with a particular gem or style, search high and low for the perfect thing in the perfect price range.
Then when I finally get it in my hot little hands, usually the thrill is gone. :(2

We should start a PS sharing system. Wear our bling and when we get tired of it change hands with another PSer. OMG endless bling, endless variety and endless good taste. Love this idea. Who's in?:dance:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We should start a PS sharing system. Wear our bling and when we get tired of it change hands with another PSer. OMG endless bling, endless variety and endless good taste. Love this idea. Who's in?:dance:
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
Love it!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That would be great fun, but from the replies here, I really think we need a support group for bling addiction! :(2

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re happy to share Bea, I’m in @missy :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re happy to share Bea, I’m in @missy :lol:

:lol: With you dear Austina Yes. :kiss:

That would be great fun, but from the replies here, I really think we need a support group for bling addiction! :(2

Yes and that is what PS is. Don’t you agree? It’s blingaholics anonymous. :cool2:
Hi my name is Missy and I love bling. All the time. Can’t stop thinking about it. Can’t stop dreaming about it. I’m a blingaholic. And I like it. ;-)

Ok so we have 3 in can I add anyone else?:devil::halo:

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad others have the same thought process as I. I don’t have many friends or family who research their bling purchases, or even are moderately interested in jewelry styles/designers/cuttting styles/shapes so I feel as if I shouldn’t complain once I have acquired a special piece I had been dreaming on to them for fear of sounding ungrateful.

I complete agree with the points that aim towards keeping the creative aspect of the mind busy, yet feeling meh when the process is over. The designing process is always ever changing and you can tweak desires or design points here and there, but once the piece has been purchased, it’s final and over. If that makes any sense?

Luckily I haven’t been in a place to be able to check out my Cartier online cart that’s loaded down with $10,500 worth of pretties yet, so until then, my saga continues.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wanted to edit my post but it’s too late.
After thinking more about this, I believe it has more to do with changing taste, being more educated about stones & styles, and finally, knowing what you really want. At first it is all so blingly and beautiful, then one begins to match bling to personality...leaving the
« experiments » behind. Does that make sense?

This makes perfect sense to me. I was also too late to edit my post, but when I talked about a questionnaire to determine what setting style was the best match, I meant a personality questionnaire. Truthfully though, I know what I should be choosing, but for some reason I keep veering off course. So why do I get distracted? That’s a different question, lol!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom , my point is I gave up over-thinking bling now. Sometimes, I fall in love with a piece straight away and stay in love. A few times though, I over-thought and then bought and then didn't like it afterwards.

I'm of no help! lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Drat!
BEAt me to it!

Hahaha sweet Jimmianne you know there’s plenty of Bea to love and share with my dear girls! And besides I get to enJOY ( :lol:) Joy then. Win win. :appl::love:

Where is our photo of Joy and Bea hanging out. Love that they got along so well. :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I think the best jewellery pieces that have come my way--I just happened upon. And it clicks.
No planning, no hunting, no obsessing, no hand wringing.

I have loved the Tiffany Victoria collection forever. I've looked haphazardly here and there for pieces but never committed. Then, one Thanksgiving, a pair of earrings came on Oakgem and I was on the phone immediately. They were more beautiful then I imagined and I have cherished them since. It seems as though if it is meant to be mine, it will be. The same can be said of my (holy grail) Cartier Sapphire ring. Just happened.

I don't want to be too invested in thinking, searching and buying about jewellery all the time. To me that takes all the fun out of it. case in point, after a year of searching for my 20th anniversary ring....I was sick of time I'd spent and it became like a chore or a job. Took ALL the fun out of it. Talk about ironic.

cheers--Sharon

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My superpower is being able to talk myself (or anyone) out of ANY purchase of ANY kind. My DH says I'm very picky. I research things to death. For non bling items I hunt down every single review on a product. I'm currently living with a barely functioning cellphone because I don't like the options and I'm hoping the longer I wait, the better deal I can get.

For bling, I really only like to shop the secondary market where I am getting a break in price at least. Plus I just plain talk myself out of every whim I might have. I have things I really wanted that I never wear. I don't want to repeat that process at this stage.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had a couple of things where I thought I really wanted something. Ran into an inexpensive thing very similar to what I wanted and figured I may as well buy it (CZ or whatever so not expensive) and see what it would look like. Most of the time, I wear it for a couple of days and find that I don't like something about it and either decide that style isn't for me or I know what details bug me (like some types of prong) so that if I go ahead with the real thing, I know what details to make sure to adjust.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha sweet Jimmianne you know there’s plenty of Bea to love and share with my dear girls! And besides I get to enJOY ( :lol:) Joy then. Win win. :appl::love:

Where is our photo of Joy and Bea hanging out. Love that they got along so well. :love:
I printed a picture of Bea, cut it out, and stuck it on my finger with Scotch tape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results