shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry customs that surprised/confused/weirded you out the first time you heard of them?

I'm quickly becoming typecast as the poster who usually asks a lot of questions regarding customs/traditions/habits etc. but the topic fascinates me!

This question came to mind because I was speaking with a friend of mine from a different cultural background (I am her only close Indian friend) about a recently married friend, and I was telling her about how, customarily, in Indian families, when a girl is married she receives a lot of bling gifts from her in-laws, and these gifts are usually purchased well in advance, so well in advance that they may have been bought before that relationship even begins. So there are MILs in India accumulating jewelry to give to their future DILs, sometimes beginning when their sons are still in their teens. This can, in some cases, even include the engagement ring (though things are beginning to change there. Still, in a large chunk of cases, you have very little say in your e-ring, even if it is bought specifically for you).

The idea of this blew her mind. She was so confused at the idea of an engagement ring being purchased for "an eventual partner" without a specific intended in mind. She also had a huge problem with it, because she thought it sort of ruined the "specialness" of it for her (knowing that the ring would have been picked out by the parents and not with any real sentimental thought involved).

I cant think of any that I've heard that weird me out, to be honest, but I also don't know much about customs from other countries, and the ones from your own tend to not be alien or weird because you've grown up with them :)

So lets hear of some that you've heard of that confused you. All in good spirit, and not meant to offend anyone (which is why I started with a custom from my own culture) :D

I have seen Ethiopian cross pendants that have an ear cleaning spoon at the bottom.
It seemed an odd combination.

An ear cleaning spoon? I don't even know what that means! How would you stick a spoon in your ear without rupturing your eardrum?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An ear cleaning spoon? I don't even know what that means! How would you stick a spoon in your ear without rupturing your eardrum?

Yup, they actually have a little extension at the bottom with a small spoon to dig out ear wax. You can google images. Crosses are not the only pendants with these little ear wax spoons, by the way.

And no, I would not think it's a great idea, but then cotton swabs aren't good to stick on one's ear, either.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When these fools are 60 years old, they will regret this!
Do they think they are gonna be young and trendy forever? Ha!!
They're gonna be old, wrinkly and extra ugly
by their own hand.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In many Latino families, the couple will ask a close relative or friend to be a godparent or sponsor of the wedding rings for the couple. During the ceremony, these 2 godparents present the couple with the rings. The couple has no say in what they look like.

In many Latino families, the couple will ask a close relative or friend to be a godparent or sponsor of the wedding rings for the couple. During the ceremony, these 2 godparents present the couple with the rings. The couple has no say in what they look like.

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that! It would definitely be a bit stressful for me to be presented with a fait accompli for something so important at the wedding itself (where I can’t even react honestly).

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
It is customary in Chinese culture for family and friends to give newborn babies gifts of jewelry (bracelets and ring baby rings) in 24kt gold…..it is jewelry that never gets worn, and serves zero purpose… totally forgot I had all of these 24Kt baby gifts. I have these in my jewelry bureau, and I don’t think my American-born kiddos know these exist! I completely forgot until this thread was started… 9F1C2C0D-BB2C-49E9-861D-D09A5E9B15F1.jpeg E25BCE9E-D1D0-44E7-9D3F-7F9FD0821915.jpeg

It is customary in Chinese culture for family and friends to give newborn babies gifts of jewelry (bracelets and ring baby rings) in 24kt gold…..it is jewelry that never gets worn, and serves zero purpose… totally forgot I had all of these 24Kt baby gifts. I have these in my jewelry bureau, and I don’t think my American-born kiddos know these exist! I completely forgot until this thread was started… 9F1C2C0D-BB2C-49E9-861D-D09A5E9B15F1.jpeg E25BCE9E-D1D0-44E7-9D3F-7F9FD0821915.jpeg

Indians give baby jewelry too! But ours is usually 22kt, so it can be worn without losing shape. Most people keep theirs to pass on to other children in the family.

I suppose the idea of giving 24kt jewelry is that it is pure gold, so it holds value, and can be liquidated in times of need.

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock

Thank you so much for sharing! I just love these photos. What a beautiful tradition!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love learning about customs from different cultures.
Yes, some of them aren't for me but that's OK because I am not doing them.
And others fascinate me and make me wish we shared in that tradition.
People vary as do customs and traditions and I respect the differences.
We are not all the same and that is a good thing.
Mutual respect is what matters.

I love learning about customs from different cultures.
Yes, some of them aren't for me but that's OK because I am not doing them.
And others fascinate me and make me wish we shared in that tradition.
People vary as do customs and traditions and I respect the differences.
We are not all the same and that is a good thing.
Mutual respect is what matters.

Shall we pivot this thread to “lesser known” customs then instead? I would love to learn more!

Or maybe I can start another thread for that, since this may be a bit more mean spirited than I intended?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I have seen Ethiopian cross pendants that have an ear cleaning spoon at the bottom.
It seemed an odd combination.

That's very medieval! It was quite the thing long ago and common sweetheart gifts.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember a couple of guys in my office talking about getting married saying they would not propose on a holiday because then the engagement ring would be a "gift" and if for some reason the marriage didn't happen, they would not be able to ask for the ring back.

At the time, I was horrified that they were going into engagements with this mindset. But is it really different than going into a marriage with a prenup?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Victorian mourning jewelry with deceased's hair. Still very collectible, but not for me:

I don't know
it grossed me out when i first heard of it but over time (a loooooooong time) now i can see its beauty and i kind of get it
but its so sad
and once its original wearer also passes away what happens to it ? Because it seems no one then wants it - especially like you say the mourning pieces with hair

Off on a tangent what i do hate about mourning jewlery is because of dear old Queen Victoria and her long sad mourning that went on and on and on for her beloved Prince Albert the British royal family seem to have an aversion to amethyst and even sold their amethyst tiara o_O

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok
Don't shoot me

upgrading to a bigger ER diamond

i had never heard of it till i started hanging out with all you good people

Its taken me a while to get my heard around it

I havn't been banned yet have I ?

but i love those threads where she reuses the original diamond that he proposed with into a daily wear necklace or into something for their daughter

Because im a sentimental old fool !

And i don't even have an ER
Sigh

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Im afraid to ask

But im guessing like the 'other kind' of promise ring

It's supposed to signify that the wearer is a virgin and plans to remain one until marriage. It seems to me quite mortifying to be made to declare one's sexual experience level to the general public.

Also, I wonder what happens if said status changes. Do they have to turn the ring upside down or go about with it conspicuously missing? :shock:

purity ring.jpg

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Purity" rings. :eek-2:

A gold purity ring big enough to go around both knees must cost a fortune.
And how does the poor woman walk with knees locked together?

... and how do men wearing their tight little purity rings pee?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's supposed to signify that the wearer is a virgin and plans to remain one until marriage. It seems to me quite mortifying to be made to declare one's sexual experience level to the general public.

Also, I wonder what happens if said status changes. Do they have to turn the ring upside down or go about with it conspicuously missing? :shock:

purity ring.jpg

Defiantly fits in with this thread for me that's for sure
how ever if that makes another girl happy then i hope it cost daddy lots of $$$$$$

Victorian mourning jewelry with deceased's hair. Still very collectible, but not for me:

Great example! I know the idea behind it is sweet, but it’s something that I can’t get behind at all!

I remember a couple of guys in my office talking about getting married saying they would not propose on a holiday because then the engagement ring would be a "gift" and if for some reason the marriage didn't happen, they would not be able to ask for the ring back.

At the time, I was horrified that they were going into engagements with this mindset. But is it really different than going into a marriage with a prenup?

I don’t even follow the logic, actually, what about providing an engagement ring on holiday makes it impossible to ask for it back versus proposing at home? I see what you mean about it being similar to prenups (which I’m honestly a fan of) in that it’s a practical thing to think of, but it seems so much more unromantic and fatalist than prenups (that I consider a sort of divorce-insurance).

Ok
Don't shoot me

upgrading to a bigger ER diamond

i had never heard of it till i started hanging out with all you good people

Its taken me a while to get my heard around it

I havn't been banned yet have I ?

but i love those threads where she reuses the original diamond that he proposed with into a daily wear necklace or into something for their daughter

Because im a sentimental old fool !

And i don't even have an ER
Sigh

I kind of agree with you Daisy, I am also a sentimental fool! One who isn’t even engaged yet!

I am super on board with the idea of buying a bigger anniversary ring, to be worn as a RHR. Or even turning the original ering into a different piece of jewelry. But I wouldn’t want to ever give up that original stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results