shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry armoires, yay or nay?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I would love, love, love to have all my jewelry in one place. It's all over the bedroom, bathroom and closet right now.
There's even an armoire at Pier 1 right now that I really like.
The problem? Having it all in one place if, knock on wood, the house was ever burglarized. It's like having a big red target or sign with arrows: "Here it all is guys!" It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So what say you, PSers? Yay or nay to a jewelry armoire?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Nay for me. Not my style and yes, I'd be concerned about security.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1456365725|3995277 said:

Ditto. I have a jewelry box on my dresser for "costumey" type stuff, but anything of value is secured in my safe.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1456365406|3995273 said:
I would love, love, love to have all my jewelry in one place. It's all over the bedroom, bathroom and closet right now.
There's even an armoire at Pier 1 right now that I really like.
The problem? Having it all in one place if, knock on wood, the house was ever burglarized. It's like having a big red target or sign with arrows: "Here it all is guys!" It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So what say you, PSers? Yay or nay to a jewelry armoire?

Yes, I agree. I would be worried every time I left the house!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with the security concerns. I also dislike most of the armoire layouts/formats I've seen. I hate hanging necklaces, for example.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, because of security. I prefer the cases with handles, and I have more than one so that I don't keep everything in the same place. Wolf Designs has some nice ones (wolf1834.com).

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Once again, ds, thanks a bunch. Those Wolf cases are to die for. And they've got the anti-tarnish factor I love. I see one in my future.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're good for having a bunch of costume jewelry.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd really really love to have everything in one place, but I just can't do it because of the security concerns.

Q

Queenie60

I suggest a safe. Security is my main concern.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1456366245|3995285 said:

Ditto. I have a jewelry box on my dresser for "costumey" type stuff, but anything of value is secured in my safe.

Yes, I keep my costume jewelry in organizers in a drawer of my vanity

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it's much more convenient keeping all your good jewelry in one place. I keep mine in a home safe.

Everything is in one place and easy for me to wear whenever I want. It's another layer of difficulty to prevent thieves from getting to your bling though not impossible. Also a home alarm and hiding your safe helps. Ours is bolted to the floor and is hidden so while it can be found its just another level of difficulty. That and trying to get it open and with all those added obstacles the thief probably won't get to it before the police arrive. Thats what I hope anyway. Plus I like switching what I wear and enjoy wearing what suits my mood that day so a bank vault doesn't work for me.

Home safe for convenience and safer than just leaving it in an armoire.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried jewelry boxes/armories and I find I'm just to lazy or in to much of a hurry to put stuff away. Most of my stuff
ends up in the kitchen in a ring bowl or in my closet on a dresser. I tried putting it up but it only last for a while and I go
back to just taking it off and laying it down. Granted, I dont have lots and lots of jewels.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I will agree with tyty that my daily wear pieces like 2 pair of earrings and my wedding set sit in a jewelry tray on my bathroom vanity when they aren't worn! But the rest is put away because I am just not changing out my jewelry on a daily basis.

I would really like to know more about home safes. I looked into one before, but I got bogged down trying to figure out one that was small enough to really be obscure yet be able to be attached to something so it couldn't be carried out of the house! I do put my things in places a thief would not have time to find them when I go out of town, but if they came while I was out shopping, I might be in trouble.

I am glad you liked the Wolf cases, Texaskj! They actually have trays specifically for vaults. But I like the pretty ones better and would still use those in a safe!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DS! I specifically like this one for that reason.

https://www.wolf1834.com/item/323714/heritage-jewelry-boxes/

JoCoJenn|1456366245|3995285 said:

Ha! I wish there was room in ours. Too many "other" things that are bigger space hogs! ;-)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
all of my jewelry is in my jewelry box...but I dont have that much that I have worry about security things..what little I do have that has any value at all is insured.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some jewelry armoires are beautiful but wouldn't want one for myself because of security reasons. No need to make the location of valuables obvious to people with ill intentions.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I have one and I love it. But I don't keep any of my expensive or sentimental jewelry in it, that all goes in the safe. But the stuff I wear most everyday that isn't either very expensive or I wouldn't be hurt of it was misplaced or stolen is in my armoire.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer to keep jewelry in a couple smaller containers. We have one fireproof portable safe. But it's stuffed to the gills with documents. Ideally, I'd like another fireproof portable safe to put some jewelry in, too.

It's funny that you guys are talking about wolf brand jewelry boxes. My current jewelry box is overflowing, so I was checking Nordstrom.com for travel size jewelry boxes. I spotted the wolf Caroline travel case and found it at a better price point on overstock.com. I'm hoping that I can fit a couple Caroline's in a portable safe if need be.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'm playing Nat/Foreign editor tonight at work, so this will be quick, but pinto, check Amazon. I got a Caroline for a ridiculous price because I didn't care what color it was. Thanks again to ds.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hide all my jewelry in a compartment in my treadmill. To make it even less obvious I routinely hang clothes on the handle so it looks unused.

Jewelry armoires would just make it too easy. A safe would be ideal but this works for me. Something to consider is a thief almost never looks in a child's room so in a pinch you can stow jewelry in there.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I have an over the door one (bought cheap at Belks) over one of my closet doors where I store costume and some fine, but inexpensive, pieces. It works well if you are the type to put things away.
Only have a few good pieces and wear them all the time, so they are on a glass tray on my dresser.
Given I have insurance and am not that sentiment about jewelry, a break in isn't a big concern. But I've seen some of the PS collections here and would definitely want some kind of hidden safe if I owned such jewels.
Have also been heavily editing both fine and costume jewelry giving things away in recent years. Less and less often do I open my armoire, just wearing the same pieces.
Recently, I'm more into simplifying than collecting in general, not particularly jewelry. I'm still interested in acquiring a few more antique pieces.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, what happened to my heart eyes emoji showing my love for your amazing collections?
I'll try again.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean I have a Caroline travel case! It was a birthday gift so not sure the exact cost, but I've seen some colors selling on Amazon for a lower price than Overstock, FYI. My ivory leather version did scuff/get marks in my suitcase, so it's not as travel-ready as one might think, but it looks lovely.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I keep jewelry in various jewelry cases/boxes, stashed in spots based on how often I use it. Anything special is stowed away in an unlikely place (@StephanieLynn I have definitely hidden things in toddler's room while away on vacation!). I definitely prefer having it home vs. in a safety deposit box elsewhere, though ask me again if I get something significantly more costly than I currently have!

Ideally I'd like to have a secure safe like @missy described, but we're hoping to move in the next year, so I'd rather hold off on figuring that out until we get in our (hopefully) long-term spot.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love mine! My husband got me one years ago as a present to both of us, so he'd stop having to pick up my jewelry from all around the house. Admittedly, I don't have much jewelry that's expensive - most of mine is costume jewelry or inexpensive semi-precious stones. The few things I do have (2 eternity bands and a sapphire ring) I do keep in there also. I've never thought much about being burglarized honestly - I leave my "good" rings on a little crystal holder by the sink all the time. :oops:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I will agree with tyty that my daily wear pieces like 2 pair of earrings and my wedding set sit in a jewelry tray on my bathroom vanity when they aren't worn! But the rest is put away because I am just not changing out my jewelry on a daily basis.

I would really like to know more about home safes. I looked into one before, but I got bogged down trying to figure out one that was small enough to really be obscure yet be able to be attached to something so it couldn't be carried out of the house! I do put my things in places a thief would not have time to find them when I go out of town, but if they came while I was out shopping, I might be in trouble.

I am glad you liked the Wolf cases, Texaskj! They actually have trays specifically for vaults. But I like the pretty ones better and would still use those in a safe!

If you have expensive valuables and also need a good firesafe, You should look at Amsec. http://www.amsecusa.com/residential/

Very good rating (good fire ratings too) It would really depend on the actual size that you want. My safe serves dual purpose and is...really big. But I also got quite the deal on it as its usually a special order and the dealer just needed to get rid of it as their previous customer decided they didn't want it. Its not the typical residential safe.

The safe in my old house was also an Amsec. We sold it with the house (wasn't gonna come out...LOL)

You can get some quite small ones but no matter how big or small, my suggestion would be to bolt them to wall or floor for security sake and make them as inconspicuous as possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep jewelry in various jewelry cases/boxes, stashed in spots based on how often I use it. Anything special is stowed away in an unlikely place (@StephanieLynn I have definitely hidden things in toddler's room while away on vacation!). I definitely prefer having it home vs. in a safety deposit box elsewhere, though ask me again if I get something significantly more costly than I currently have!

Ideally I'd like to have a secure safe like @missy described, but we're hoping to move in the next year, so I'd rather hold off on figuring that out until we get in our (hopefully) long-term spot.

Hi Elizabeth, yes if you're moving relatively soon it's a good idea to wait. I love the safes. One of them is bolted to the floor and one to the back of the wall and behind a hidden door so it is inconspicuous. The safes allow me the flexibility to wear whatever I want whenever I want and the security knowing it isn't easy for a criminal to steal my bling. As I wrote before nothing is foolproof but I think this is relatively safe (haha) and super convenient compared to other options. And they are fireproof too.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two armoire's for my jewelry and the more pricey stuff I keep in the safe

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results