shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewellery insurance in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
I recently received a beautiful pair of pink and white diamond earring from my boyfriend. They were quite an expensive purchase and I would like to insure them.

I''ve noticed that alot of North Americans on PS use Chubb but that doesn''t seem to be available in Australia. In fact, I couldn''t find any "jewellery specific" insurance at all! The only option I could find was to add specific items to my household insurance.

Do any of you know of jewellery insurance available in Australia?

Thanks!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Shelley,

I ran into the same problem when I wanted to insure my recent 2.01 EC purchase.

Most jewlery add-ons to the home & contents insurance policy are limited to items valued at up to 25k. My insurer wanted us to install a back-to-base alarm in order to get insurance cover for the new ring. I found that ridiculous as the ring will probably be on my finger most of the time, instead of being left at home.

I rang a few places, and Chubb does offer insurance on jewelry, but they have a minimum value of 30k insured value, and they vet each ''application'' on a case by case basis. It will help if you insure your home & contents through them as well, but again, there is a minimum insured amount for that. They are somewhat catering to the higher end market over here in Australia.

I have not gotten insurance for my ring yet, so for the moment it''s sitting in a box at the bank
7.gif
. There''s a few quotes from an insurance broker sitting in my in-tray which I haven''t had time to look at in detail yet, but feel free to PM me if you need more information.

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jadeleaves and GarryH!

My engagement ring will most likely squeak in under the $25K mark and my earrings are certainly nowhere near it, so I guess a call to Allianz is in order. I vaguely remember being able to take out an "Australia Wide" option so that I''m covered domestically and I guess travel insurance will take care of international travels, providing I list them.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
If you list it as "specified personal property" it will be covered regardless of where you are worldwide.

Make sure you send them everything you can with regards to documentation, appraisals etc etc.

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
Done! Just rang Allianz and the earrings are insured for an extra $140pa. They are sending out an invoice and presumably further information. I''ll send you a private message Jadeleaves if anything useful is included!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results