shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewellers not responsible for damages to your diamond or if they lost it

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I recently just received my WF ACA diamond and now on the lookout for a jeweller to work with for my e-ring.

Unfortunately, some jewellery shop refused to work on my e-ring because the stone was not bought from them. Others, accepted to work on my stone but has this clause on the agreement saying something to this effect:

"Responsibility is not taken for customer-provided components, including gemstones, that are lost, stolen or damaged while in the jeweller's custody"

I can understand if my gemstone/diamond is crap (structurally not viable) and they want to protect themselves but in this case it comes with documents and they can inspect it as well to see if it is ok, so why is it that they still can't take responsibility?

I tried to look for insurances that can help me but they only cover me if I lost the diamond and not when a third party has lost or damaged it. And shouldn't the jeweller be the one insured so if they damage a client's property they get covered for it?

I am just someone who does not understand how it works so maybe people can enlighten me on this one.

- Curious Cat

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Responsibility is not taken for customer-provided components, including gemstones, that are lost, stolen or damaged while in the jeweller's custody"

Never heard of that. You need a better class of jeweler.

Tiffany was the only place that would not set a loose stone for me. They held their nose and said they do not set outside stones, which they call stones "that don't meet Tiffany standards." (It was at least as nice as what they sell.) That was before I realized that they are jewelry sellers and not actual jewelers now. So it would be like bringing a cow to the Coach store, along with some elaborate instructions...

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I did this recently and some jewellers said no because they didn’t provide the stone however most said yes. The jeweller I went with had insurance which covered my stone if any damage was caused in the ring making process.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock

Check out Alistair. He’s won awards and he works with customers who provide their own stones :)

Thanks @Eeveepenny for the recommendation.

How was your experience? Was it expensive?

Jewellers I’ve spoken to custom make ring for me but using their stones offers the ring cost of $2,000.. most quote I get from jewellers to make the ring for me out of my own stones costs $3,000++... I thought it would be cheaper coz I have everything already. Guess not.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a jeweler is good enough to warn you that they do not cover losses and damage, then go to a different jeweler. Ask if these things are covered before you leave anything. Most have some degree of insurance, but there are many with no coverage. Independent jewelers are a broad mix of those who do everything very well to those who mess up nearly every item they touch. Expect to pay more at great places and find mostly junk work at the cheapest ones. While this may not be universally true, it is a good guideline when you have no idea of where to have your work done. Always read the fine print on a receipt and ask questions.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock

Jewellers I’ve spoken to custom make ring for me but using their stones offers the ring cost of $2,000.. most quote I get from jewellers to make the ring for me out of my own stones costs $3,000++... I thought it would be cheaper coz I have everything already. Guess not.

I didn’t end up getting my ring made by him as I’m in Brisbane and I ended up finding a jeweller in Brisbane that I really liked. I got a quote from him though and he was $3700 and the Jeweller I ended up going with in Brisbane was $2600. I got several quotes and they ranged from $2200-$4000. This was for a solitaire 2mm pave ring in platinum with 16 side diamonds.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Eeveepenny I’m doing the same right now, just trying to get some quotes before I decide.

Thanks @oldminer, will definitely start asking about that part. I don’t really expect it to be cheap, I would rather pay a reasonable extra amount to get covered for damages than risk not getting anything.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why didnt you order in a setting already? (just trying to understand) Do you have to pay more import tax if its in a setting? If so, that really stinks!
Or are you looking for something specific in a setting that can only be custom made?

Edit...I just saw your other thread on wire transfer...are you doing a 3 stone with the little argyle pinks??? That is going to gorgeous!!! Please
do post once its made. I have a feeling I'm going to love it!

Last edited:

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Why didnt you order in a setting already? (just trying to understand) Do you have to pay more import tax if its in a setting? If so, that really stinks!
Or are you looking for something specific in a setting that can only be custom made?

Edit...I just saw your other thread on wire transfer...are you doing a 3 stone with the little argyle pinks??? That is going to gorgeous!!! Please
do post once its made. I have a feeling I'm going to love it!

ah yes, I didn’t order a ready made one from WF coz I want to add my pinks from my personal collection... I have a few of them, haven’t decided which one to use for the e-ring, still undecided with the final design, hehe...

sure will post pics once done, it’s pretty exciting.

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone, I recently just received my WF ACA diamond and now on the lookout for a jeweller to work with for my e-ring.

Unfortunately, some jewellery shop refused to work on my e-ring because the stone was not bought from them. Others, accepted to work on my stone but has this clause on the agreement saying something to this effect:

I can understand if my gemstone/diamond is crap (structurally not viable) and they want to protect themselves but in this case it comes with documents and they can inspect it as well to see if it is ok, so why is it that they still can't take responsibility?

I tried to look for insurances that can help me but they only cover me if I lost the diamond and not when a third party has lost or damaged it. And shouldn't the jeweller be the one insured so if they damage a client's property they get covered for it?

I am just someone who does not understand how it works so maybe people can enlighten me on this one.

- Curious Cat

A lot of people won't work with other people's stones, including me. (I simply don't have the time or staff to take these on)

That said, most jewellers block policies in Canada/USA cover damages to customers' stones.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Find a better jeweler. Insurance is available that covers things like loss and theft of customer property while in their possession and they should have it.

Most homeowner's policies I've read will also cover damage to covered property by a 3rd party (in this case the jeweler) although they reserve the right to subrogate against the responsible party. That would be their problem, not yours. I'm actually surprised that your's said they don't. This would make me nervous. May I ask who your company is?

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade

The profit is in the stones, I know many diamond dealers who will 'throw in a free 18k solitaire' if someone is purchasing a stone for more than around $10k

The ring that was $2000 with the jewellers stones and $3000 with your stones may cost $1500-$1800 to make, but they want the sale, so they discount the jewelry.

Hope this helps!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
also check that shipping is insured & fond out who is responsible if you don't get the ring after it is sent out.

I just saw a website (not jewelry related ) that said once you order & pay we ship your items and take no further responsibility. So basically if the shipment is lost, too bad on you.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Find a better jeweler. Insurance is available that covers things like loss and theft of customer property while in their possession and they should have it.

Most homeowner's policies I've read will also cover damage to covered property by a 3rd party (in this case the jeweler) although they reserve the right to subrogate against the responsible party. That would be their problem, not yours. I'm actually surprised that your's said they don't. This would make me nervous. May I ask who your company is?

Yes Neil.
Many years ago when I was a rookie jeweler, we had a band of Roma come into the store - many looked very 'iffy' and one was well dressed and regal looking. The Iffy ones distracted the staff and the regal guy stole our entire repair box out of the safe.
Our insurance company paid out everyone, but only after the clients told the ins Co if they were insured personally or not and the name of the company. Some people refused to to tell or sign for about a year and finally they all caved too.
Our underwriters claimed the money back from the underwriters of those that had their jewels individually insured with appraisals etc.
But that all happened behind the scenes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Neil.
Many years ago when I was a rookie jeweler, we had a band of Roma come into the store - many looked very 'iffy' and one was well dressed and regal looking. The Iffy ones distracted the staff and the regal guy stole our entire repair box out of the safe.
Our insurance company paid out everyone, but only after the clients told the ins Co if they were insured personally or not and the name of the company. Some people refused to to tell or sign for about a year and finally they all caved too.
Our underwriters claimed the money back from the underwriters of those that had their jewels individually insured with appraisals etc.
But that all happened behind the scenes.

That sounds dreadful
the jewler in Wellington i took mum's rings to and who made my pearl and tourquoise gold ring had me sign something that said if anything is stolen his insurence will cover it, not mine
he had a sales admin lady in front and behind her in a room with windows was his bench - him and another guy
i never even thought of (for want of a better world) of non-new stuff getting stolen before

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
Hi fellow Aussie here. I’m from Qld.
I had an incident earlier this year where I sent my stones back to a American vendor for a upgrade. (Brian Gavin Diamonds) and they found damage on my stones. I am with Allianz insurance and they covered the damage made by the jeweller local to me. My jeweller was happy to set stones not from them also.

I did ask my insurance company prior to getting my diamonds set if they would be covered for any damage by my jeweller and they agreed. So I never even asked the jeweller for insurance of any kind. I had known of him prior to getting my ring done so I felt comfortable with that.

After the damage was found I told my jeweller and he was happy to take that amount lost in damages by taking that amount off the new setting to be made which he did and I got the new ring made by him.

I was happy with that outcome and the ring turned out great. New ring is insured once again for any future issues if ever upgrade again.

One thing I learnt though throughout the whole process is if you upgrade you have to pay GST again on the full amount not just the amount spent on the upgrade which is annoying as I find it double dipping on GST. A bit greedy on the governments behalf if you ask me.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock

You do need to shop around and even look at interstate jewellers. My latest ring (Asscher set with two rounds) was quoted at around $2100 using their gold, or $1650 using my gold. A lot of other jewellers quoted me much more. It depends on a jeweller's set up. My guys don't sell jewellery and work out of an industrial area (lower rent). They can afford to be more competitive with prices.

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks @secretagentdee I will look at Alliance insurance. The jeweller I was talking to said she deals with more low value stones so she didn't get insurance that will cover client's stones. It seems like getting your own insurance is better based on other's stories as well where clients are forced to provide their insurance companies. About your damaged stone, did Alliance pay for the entire value of the stone or just partial? Because based on your story it seems like your jeweller had to help you out there as well.

@monipod thanks, I am actually doing that right now. Also checking out the difference in rates for those who are insured. Is the $2,100 quote you got just for a plain solitaire ring? I'm actually trying to find the workshops that jewellery stores (without their own bench) use, hehe. I just wonder if they'll entertain me.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
@monipod thanks, I am actually doing that right now. Also checking out the difference in rates for those who are insured. Is the $2,100 quote you got just for a plain solitaire ring? I'm actually trying to find the workshops that jewellery stores (without their own bench) use, hehe. I just wonder if they'll entertain me.

Oops! Quote was $2600 with gold included sorry. The quote is for a fairly straightforward make similar to the top ring in photo below but not as simple as a 4/6 prong solitaire (I think...). It's also for hand-make/forged as opposed to cast.

PS - I should say that my Asscher won't be anywhere as expensive as your ACA so I don't know how much more expensive it would be if I insisted on insurance. As I trust these guys, I haven't asked for it.

il_794xN.2501189276_tef1.jpg

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Oops! Quote was $2600 with gold included sorry. The quote is for a fairly straightforward make similar to the top ring in photo below but not as simple as a 4/6 prong solitaire (I think...). It's also for hand-make/forged as opposed to cast.

PS - I should say that my Asscher won't be anywhere as expensive as your ACA so I don't know how much more expensive it would be if I insisted on insurance. As I trust these guys, I haven't asked for it.

il_794xN.2501189276_tef1.jpg

that's a really rich gorgeous bright blue stone and beautiful ring!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
that's a really rich gorgeous bright blue stone and beautiful ring!

It is! I wish I kept the Instagram username for the jeweller on that one. It was mainly the setting I was interested in but these are the moments when I start thinking it's time to venture into sapphire and tourmaline territory!

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
Thanks @secretagentdee I will look at Alliance insurance. The jeweller I was talking to said she deals with more low value stones so she didn't get insurance that will cover client's stones. It seems like getting your own insurance is better based on other's stories as well where clients are forced to provide their insurance companies. About your damaged stone, did Alliance pay for the entire value of the stone or just partial? Because based on your story it seems like your jeweller had to help you out there as well.

I took the option for full replacement cost of the diamonds as I needed the money for the upgrade.

I’m a regular with the jeweller so I guess we had built that client relationship.

As much as I wanted everything to made in-house with where I got the diamonds from but the cost for the setting, the exchange rate and taxes are too high which makes the setting almost double. Yes you do take that risk in getting the setting made else where but that’s why you find and pay a insurance company that will cover you.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Any updates on the ring setting?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it would be like bringing a cow to the Coach store, along with some elaborate instructions...
I didn't know I was physiologically capable of snorting as loudly as I just did :mrgreen:

jBright

Shiny_Rock
For future pricescopers in this dilemma… we purchased our diamond online and brought it to a local jeweler. To be on the safe side I had the loose diamond insured with jewelers mutual and then updated the policy w the setting after I received the ring back! Just FYI!

Can’t wait to see the finished ring too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results