shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweller in Melbourne, Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone recommend a good jeweller in Melbourne, Australia? Am trying to help a friend of mine buy a yellow-gold diamond solitaire, she''s found one so she likes in a mall jewellery store but the diamond is pretty poor quality and she wants me to help her take the money she would have spent there ($3000) and find her a better diamond for the same price, and get the jeweller to make a similar setting to the one she found.

If anyone has worked with a jeweller in Melbourne who can both source diamonds and make up the setting, could they throw some advice my way?

Thank you!

Michela.

JennaJ

Rough_Rock
Hi,

my fiance bought my diamond from melboune diamond exchange - http://www.diamondexchange.com.au - think they also have showroom in Melbourne if you don't want to buy off internet. My fiance got a great deal on my diamond from them (bought for $4300AUS and it was independently assessed at $10000NZ) and they were very good to deal with, so would recommend them. You would be able to get a very nice 0.5 carat + for just over $2000 AUS which would leave enough for the setting. Yellow gold settings start from about $400 upwards (we had the diamond set in NZ as thats where we live, but Melbounre Diamond Exchange can make the entire ring).
1.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Try Makers Mark on 101 Collins Street. They have a very nice showroom with very nice jewelry. I am not sure about how they are with diamond solitaires though.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/15/2004 6:43:30 PM michela002 wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good jeweller in Melbourne, Australia?

If anyone has worked with a jeweller in Melbourne who can both source diamonds and make up the setting, could they throw some advice my way?

Thank you!

Michela.

----------------

Hi!

Precious Metals in Canterbury is fantastic. I have gotten several rings custom made there. Garry Holloway is the owner of PM, and he is pretty active here on the forum.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
I recommend Emil Braun Jewellers www.emilbraun.com.au - I sent you a pm about them.

bnas95

Rough_Rock
Has anyone heard anything about Renato Jewellers or Eternity diamonds there ?
How important is it to be part of JAA ?

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
I live in Melbourne and am currently looking for 3 loose diamonds to be made into an eternity ring. I have put in DOZENS of hours on the Internet to learn what to look for and research prices. (I still do not have much info about diamonds in Asia though). I have also visited many jewellers in Melb and been to see Diamond Exchange. I have almost decided to purchase the stones at Diamond Exchange. Their prices seem comparable to the best US Internet sites, they give good advice and seem to be honest. They will also set stones. Hope this helps.
PS I checked out Tiffany & Co. I requested a copy of the Tiffany certificate, and stones with close to identical specification were less than half price elsewhere!

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
PS Makers Mark in Collins has beautiful unique pieces, but is very expensive. I will always drop into their store to drool if I am walking past. I have bought a superb silver tea strainer there.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much to everybody who suggested jewellers in Melbourne. I have compiled a list of jewellers, URLs and addresses and plan to visit or contact them all.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

9.gif

Michela.

afe

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve noticed you are based in Singapore. I am currently looking to buy a diamond in Singapore for an engagement ring and was looking for recommendations on a good place. Any advise you can give would be fantastic.

Thanks
Tania

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tania,

I have sent you a private message to your email. Do let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2004 9:39
6.gif
7 PM
Author: asblackrock
PS Makers Mark in Collins has beautiful unique pieces, but is very expensive. I will always drop into their store to drool if I am walking past. I have bought a superb silver tea strainer there.
Ooooohhhhhh, I love Makers Mark too. I was lucky enough to be given the ''Precious'' as an engagement ring. So many people have commented that they have seen the design before and that they love it. And I have yet to see another person wearing the same ring which still makes it quite unique.

mandyhn

Rough_Rock
How about Janai, has anyone tried out Janai jewllery at Collins Street in Melbourne at http://www.wonderful.com.au. Anyone tell me what the quality of diamonds and their prices over there. Thanks

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WWW.idealscope.com
Precious Metals
Melbourne

Diermint

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/3/2004 6:44:58 PM
Author: mandyhn
How about Janai, has anyone tried out Janai jewllery at Collins Street in Melbourne at http://www.wonderful.com.au. Anyone tell me what the quality of diamonds and their prices over there. Thanks
Hi Mandyhn,

I haven''t personally checked them out yet, but Collins St is the most expensive retail area in Melbourne and is reknowned for good quality at high prices. I would assume they must have some very nice things but cost a bit more than I would want to pay. I''ll drop in for a look some time.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been in there twice, and though I''m not a diamond expert and don''t know how great their diamonds are, their merchandise including their diamonds and settings looked beautiful, and the staff are very, very helpful - or at least the woman I spoke to was.

If you want a comparison, here''s a quote she gave me:

1.02ct Emerald Cut
Colour G
Clarity VS1
Fluor None
Dimen 6.61x5.13x3.36
Table 74%
CR height 9%
Pav depth 54.5%
$8800 (Australian)

I''m sure you can probably get something cheaper online, but it might give you an indication of whether they are totally overpriced, reasonable for Australia, etc.

The stone was very pretty, only v. small inclusions, and they were only visible from the bottom.

And all their prices on loose diamonds include a setting in gold (or white gold.)

Again, not sure of their diamond quality etc, but the staff were just lovely and so patient, and it''s definitely worth a trip to check them out if you''re in the area.

mandyhn

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/4/2004 2:53:13 AM
Author: michela002

I''ve been in there twice, and though I''m not a diamond expert and don''t know how great their diamonds are, their merchandise including their diamonds and settings looked beautiful, and the staff are very, very helpful - or at least the woman I spoke to was.

If you want a comparison, here''s a quote she gave me:

1.02ct Emerald Cut
Colour G
Clarity VS1
Fluor None
Dimen 6.61x5.13x3.36
Table 74%
CR height 9%
Pav depth 54.5%
$8800 (Australian)

I''m sure you can probably get something cheaper online, but it might give you an indication of whether they are totally overpriced, reasonable for Australia, etc.

The stone was very pretty, only v. small inclusions, and they were only visible from the bottom.

And all their prices on loose diamonds include a setting in gold (or white gold.)

Again, not sure of their diamond quality etc, but the staff were just lovely and so patient, and it''s definitely worth a trip to check them out if you''re in the area.
Thank you very much for all your posts. My friend also suggests me to drop in and check them out. She bought a loose diamond there, 0.43 ct brilliant cut, E colour clarity VS1 for $AUD 3100 including cost for setting 18ct. My budget is about the same. I would like to buy one at Janai as my friend also tell me the staff were lovely and patient and theyve got variety of settings to choose from (as you also tell me). However I am also not a diamond exert and I found out that diamonds at www.diamondexchange.com.au are very much at lower prices compared to Janai even if you dont buy online.

http://www.diamondexchange.com.au/catalog/diamond_search_result.php?currency=AUD&shape_id=10&carat_id_from=10&carat_id_to=33&carat_value_tolerance=10&colour_id_to=16&clarity_id_to=17&pfrom=0&pto=0&page=5

I dont know about diamonds, so I would like to ask if anyone know about their qualities and prices so I can decide whether to go for Janai. If diamond at diamondexchange is much cheaper with similar quality I''ll go for them. Thanks

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
I checked out Janai. Prices were about 10% dearer than Diamond Exchange on line. There was also a lot of pressure to make a decision immediately at Janai. I was told that well cut stones sold quickly and were unlikely to be available a few days later. I have not bought yet. It is a slow process!
Good luck with your purchase. Let me know how you go.

michela002

Shiny_Rock

Mandyhn - I''ve never been into Diamond Exchange but they are literally five feet from Janai. (They are in the Century something-or-other building on Swanston St, just around the corner, maybe a block or two from Janai.) Maybe your best approach is to visit both, see what they''re quoting you and pick between them? (That''s unless you plan on buying online.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results