shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweller Giving Discount

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A local and very good jeweller, the biggest in our city and family owned, gives discount to you no matter what you buy. For instance £200 of a £2200 diamond ring and £100 of an £800 pendant. I am assuming this amount was added before the item was priced, how else could they do it? I suppose it is a feel good factor for the customer. Is the money added in the first place and is this an honest thing to do?

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Tons of stores, not just diamond store, do this. Most Mall jewelery stores always have 90% of the inventory on sale and rotate it weekly. The only reason they do not have 100% is that the consumer protection laws will not allow it.

The furniture store, Art Van is well know for this. Seven days a week 365 day a year they have a "hugh sale". All they do is mark up the cost and then place it on sale.

If you look around, the sale price will either be similar, or higher than store that do not have sales at all.

Is it moral? I don't care for it. IMO it is a deceptive tactic and you never feel like you got the best deal you could have. It's like buying a used car. Do you ever feel like you got a good deal buying a used car?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, there is no sale sign up and no sale prices marked. Just when you decide to buy they will say for instance well that is £800 but I will give you it for £700. I think the price must me marked up beforehand so that they can discount it but they seem to decide there and then what you are getting for instance they may say well it is £830 I will give you it for £740. Maybe they do this so as not to lose a sale as you feel you are getting something back but is it really the correct price to begin with and they have just marked the item up beforehand.

I am not a regular customer so they do this to new customers.

I would also think that if someone was just in looking and had say £740 in their budget they would not look at a necklace for £830 so they would lose a sale this way if the person did not discuss it with them but was just looking at the items on display. I am in the UK and have never seen this before most jewellers just charge you what is written on the tag. As I said this is a family business which has grown and now has some other employees and a shop manager. The family members still work in the store too.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is not unusual for retail stores to mark an item up 400% and then "today only" mark it down 50%. This is supposed to make the customer believe he or she is getting a "real good deal" if he buys today and it also gives the jeweler an excuse to give the customer an "appraisal" of the item with the "real" price as the retail replacement value. Is it legal...maybe. Is it ethical...not in my book. So what does someone think when they go into a retail store that does not mark anything down? Are you getting ripped off? Who knows??? That is the good thing about Pricescope. You can compare prices until you know what you should pay and then you can feel good when you finally make that purchase.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is not a today only thing. It is not marked anywhere and you do not know you are getting a discount until you have said you will buy it. It doesn't matter what day or what year they give a discount on anything you buy. They even sell rings which are £44,000 so they have quite a range of jewellery.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I was simply giving another example of the same style sales tactic. I did not mean that as a suggestion as to what is going on. I think your situation is much like a used car salesman. You go in and look at the price, but you know the salesman will go lower. Thus, you must negotiate. Then you have companies like Saturn that will not negotiate at all. What you have here is simply a mark up in price with the anticipation of negotiating the price lower to make the sale.

Again, not illegal. Immoral, maybe? Would I buy from him? Only if I knew my stuff very well and knew I was getting a good deal. These places are hard to negotiate a very good deal though, and some people will not negotiate at all (not expecting too) and thus get ripped off.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand if you are just giving examples of other discount schemes. This place however, you don't have to negotiate when you say you will buy it they just say they will give you some discount and charge you less. The amounts I mentioned above is how much they gave me off two items.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results