shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweller chipped my diamond... help me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Friends have told me that these forums are great and I''d really like some advice. My partner bought me a beautiful engagement ring which was everything I''d ever hoped for. I''d never been one for large stones or OTT settings and because of my job (I''m a medical intern) the ring he settled on was ideal. It''s an 18ct white gold (rhodium plated) setting with a 0.37 carat princess cut diamond centre stone and 5 princess cut shoulder stones on either side, bringing the total weight up to .75 carat.

The store sent the ring off to their head office for resizing as the diamonds are sourced from Rand Diamonds (the jeweller''s highest quality diamonds) and apparently they will often remake the setting rather than just resize it. Needless to say, I was informed this morning when I went to pick up my ring that during the process the jeweller had chipped the main stone and as such had replaced it with (as the storeperson said) "an identical diamond". They''ve provided me with a new certificate, with all of the specifications but its all gone over my head and I don''t know if I''ve been given a comparable diamond or been ripped off. I can tell that the shape, colour, clarity and carat are the same but I''m suspicious that cut may not be as good. I''ll attach the reports of the two diamonds to the following posts and perhaps you diamond experts out there can either allay my fears or give me the motivation to go back to the jewellers and give them a rocket!

Thank you!
- Ali

Chipped Diamond.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry is the first post your "replacement diamond?" or your previous diamond? can you post both reports?

cartea01

Rough_Rock
The file attached to this one is the new diamond. The file attached to my first post is the original diamond that was chipped. Sorry it took so long, my internet went down between posts!

newdiamond.jpg.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I can''t comment on the cut of the stone other than to say the replacement is smaller.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I'll let the diamond optics experts work out the performance. But from what I can tell you got the same carat-wt and clarity but lost out ~15% on face-up area. It may not be visibly discernible but if I were you, I'd fire a rocket at them for chipping a stone picked by your partner and demand a discount, or even better, a stone upgrade.
31.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would suggest to you to at least demand a similar Diamond in dimensions as well...

The first Diamond picked by your partner was over 4.00mm in diameter.
The replacement is under 4.00mm (obviously the value is less!)

Rand is a reputable Diamond cutting house.

Good luck,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 2:45:39 AM
Author: DiaGem
I would suggest to you to at least demand a similar Diamond in dimensions as well...

Good luck,
Ditto. So sorry to hear about this....
7.gif

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments so far! My partner just came home from work and he''s not happy about it. I think he''s planning to go in tomorrow and state his case. I''m tempted to take the reports to another jeweller and ask their opinion as to whether the diamonds are of equal quality. I accept that they are both the same weight but I agree with you guys that the 15% difference in surface area at the top is a concern. Don''t get me wrong, it''s a beautiful ring and the diamond sparkles like a star in the sunlight but it''s the damn principle! The jeweller must have chipped the diamond days ago and they had my contact details but they failed to get in contact with me when it happened and instead ambushed me with the information when I arrived. Argh! The more I think about it, the more frustrated I''m getting
29.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
You''re in Australia right?
I *think* I know the store which you are dealing with - personally I would not be happy
with your face-up loss, and them not being more up front about it.
I think your Fi needs to have a lil chat
40.gif
I hope it goes well, I''m sorry !

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Yes I''m in Australia... there are only two jeweller chains authorised to sell rand diamonds in Australia. One is Tiffany''s and that''s not who I went through.... have you had a similar experience?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 3:43:49 AM
Author: arjunajane
You''re in Australia right?

I *think* I know the store which you are dealing with - personally I would not be happy

with your face-up loss, and them not being more up front about it.

I think your Fi needs to have a lil chat
40.gif
I hope it goes well, I''m sorry !

Ditto, also I would not be happy having any diamond shafted on me especially in a fancy where the numbers don''t mean anything.

Good luck :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 3:49:28 AM
Author: cartea01
Yes I''m in Australia... there are only two jeweller chains authorised to sell rand diamonds in Australia. One is Tiffany''s and that''s not who I went through.... have you had a similar experience?
No, I thought it was "the other one", lol..
I haven''t had a similiar experience (thankfully), and frankly I would be quite disappointed with this
behaviour from Tiff''s..

Odd..I thought they only sold Tiff''s diamonds..?
33.gif

Anyway, I''m sure once your guy let''s them know he''s onto the game they should hopefully offer
you an better alternative
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 5:47:15 AM

No, I thought it was ''the other one'', lol..

I haven''t had a similiar experience (thankfully), and frankly I would be quite disappointed with this

behaviour from Tiff''s..

33.gif

Anyway, I''m sure once your guy let''s them know he''s onto the game they should hopefully offer

5.gif

AJ I think she went with the other one whoever that is, but I am curious to know.

sassy_sax

Rough_Rock
I think I know! If it''s who I''m thinking of, they sell another range called Love and Passion. BTW, I''m sorry you''re having to deal with all this! I hope it doesn''t spoil the sentiment behind the ring for you...
33.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 6:14:58 AM
Author: Deelight

behaviour from Tiff''s..

33.gif

5.gif

AJ I think she went with the other one whoever that is, but I am curious to know.
Oh sorry you''re right Dee - I misread.
In that case, it''s kinda the behaviour I expect from that store
40.gif
sorry to say cartea.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 7:16:17 AM
Date: 3/13/2009 6:14:58 AM

Author: Deelight

behaviour from Tiff''s..

33.gif

5.gif

Oh sorry you''re right Dee - I misread.

In that case, it''s kinda the behaviour I expect from that store
40.gif
sorry to say cartea.

No worries I had to re-read a couple of times to make sure ;-) mind plays tricks on me all the time.

Does the jewellers store start with an A?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Cart,
So sorry for your ordeal, I would think any respectable jeweler would have given you a replacement at same or better quality diamond.... but also maybe (just giving the jeweler the benefit of the doubt) he was just so busy he just looked for the same carat weight, color, and clarity and didn''t think anything of the specifics of the diamond.... but then again, maybe he just think you were just an average consumer and wouldn''t know if he gave you less than optimal of a diamond and you wouldn''t find pricescope ehh? yeah, maybe its the same carat weight but all the weight seems to be at the bottom, cut too deep which won''t reflect/bounce light back to the top, in a sense bounces out to the side, not optimal.. Hope this somewhat helps you

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Dee, I thought it starts with M - maybe thats just in my city?
They are the only chain I know sells Rand and that "passion" line..

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 9:58:22 AM
Dee, I thought it starts with M - maybe thats just in my city?

They are the only chain I know sells Rand and that ''passion'' line..

Nothing came up in google on that search.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
It''s the one starting with M. Although I believe they may operate under the A name in one of the Eastern States too.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is awful for a vendor to do that without any discussion. I would definately send dh in to have a talk.
29.gif

But, for the purposes of discussion here.....are the jewellers legally liable at all to replace the chipped diamond? And, if they are liable through negligence shouldnt they have to at least show you the chipped stone....and then give you a choice of a few replacements.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 2:47:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/13/2009 2:45:39 AM
Author: DiaGem

Good luck,
Ditto. So sorry to hear about this....
7.gif
I''m another who agrees that you should get a 4 mm replacement stone of equal clarity and colour.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, well we took the ring in this morning and talked to the shop assistants about it. They''ll be talking to head office on Monday and then hopefully we''ll get somewhere....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the length/width is smaller on the new one because you the old one had an 81% table. you increased crown height from 6% to 15% with the new stone.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 7:55:51 AM
Author: dannyandterry
Hi Cart,

So sorry for your ordeal, I would think any respectable jeweler would have given you a replacement at same or better quality diamond.... but also maybe (just giving the jeweler the benefit of the doubt) he was just so busy he just looked for the same carat weight, color, and clarity and didn''t think anything of the specifics of the diamond.... but then again, maybe he just think you were just an average consumer and wouldn''t know if he gave you less than optimal of a diamond and you wouldn''t find pricescope ehh? yeah, maybe its the same carat weight but all the weight seems to be at the bottom, cut too deep which won''t reflect/bounce light back to the top, in a sense bounces out to the side, not optimal.. Hope this somewhat helps you

The old one is the one that had all the weight on the bottom. The new one has more weight on top.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN my apologies, i misinformed - weight appears to be at top, girdle is thicker spread is reduced, cutting deeper your light return still bounces to side

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recent comments. Certainly what I''ve learnt from these forums is that there is no agreed definition of the "perfect" princess diamond cut. Whilst I''ve not been happy with the service from this jeweller, I have been very impressed by the quality of the Rand diamonds. Perfecting cut appears to be their focus and observing the diamonds available certainly supports this. I''ve now viewed a selection of Rand princess cut diamonds which have varied significantly in their dimensions and they have all shown stunning brilliance and fire. I know most of you are in the US and I don''t know who stocks them there but I''d highly recommend finding them!

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Well I''ve just heard back from the jeweller. They''ve offered me a new diamond

Princess cut Rand diamond, E colour (up from the original F), 42 points (up from 37 points) and VS1 clarity (down from VVS2)

I''ve got a few days to think about it but I think they are doing the right thing by me... what do you think?

mjlover

Rough_Rock
can they not just get you a diamond the same as what you had?? Going from F to E isnt much (i have an F and couldnt tell the diff between it and an E).

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Every diamond is different and you can''t always find a close match. The one they are offering me is overseas in South Africa with the supplier. I suspect they are offering me a better diamond because of the issues we''ve gone through.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results