shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers Row (Philly) recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessleia

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a store/jeweler on Jewelers Row in Philadelphia they could recommend? I am looking for a 5 stone anniversary band to go w/ my 3 stone engagement ring. I would love to get something in the .75 ct range and am looking to spend under $1000.00 Is that feasible? Also, any thoughts on Blue Nile? I saw a ring I LOVED there, but was a bit nervous as to ordering online. Any opinions on either subject welcomed!!! Thank you

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Independent Gemologist David Atlas of Accurate Appraisal is located in the jewelry district in Philadelphia and most likely knows the work of most of the independents in the vicinity. You can find his contact information via the Appraisers link located under the Resources tab at the top of this page. Which brings me to the point of mentioning the appraisers feature here on PS as a valuable resource for people looking for qualified jewelers in their local area, the appraisers tend to see the work of the jewelers in their area and should be relied upon as the wonderful resource that they are. In the name of keeping them impartial, you might pose the question as "who are the better craftspeople in your area" for something like this.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is against the rules of Pricescope for non-consumers to recommend vendors, so I can't tell you too much. I have no problem with anyone in my four square block region presently. No one seems to be working on being a bad guy. Years ago, there was a competition as to who could get away with the most. It just isn't the case anymore and I am glad about that.

The amount of money tyou want to spend can provide some choices and you should commit some time to just plain shopping and looking. Tell yourself you won't buy anything until you understand what choices there are and what your budget will provide. After a minimum of 5 stores, put your notes together and decide what exactly you really want and can afford. Then shop for the more specific item you want at a few more stores. Try to have fun and don't be pressured.

When you know who pleases you with a good attitude, nice jewelry and a fair price, then buy.

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
I had a TERRIBLE experience with Harry Merrill and Sons, located on 8th street, and wouldn''t recommend them to my worst enemy.

PaperStars

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 5:38:29 PM
Author: fullojoy
I had a TERRIBLE experience with Harry Merrill and Sons, located on 8th street, and wouldn''t recommend them to my worst enemy.
I know how you feel! I had a TERRIBLE experience with Robbins Diamonds located at 8th and Walnut. I wouldn''t recommend them to my worst enemy either. I also read that I am not the only one with a bad experience with them also.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot recommend anyone in the area, but I can say that I have had several positive experiences with Bluenile. They have beautiful merchandise and a hassel free return policy.

spt118

Rough_Rock
In the past month I''ve been in at 20+ places on "The Row" I will say I had experinces all over the board. The places I liked the best for service were Barsky''s and Neil Bruce. I didn''t end up buying at either place due to my girls style tastes, but the service was exellent.

Pat waited on me at Barsky''s and Neil himself at Neil Bruce.

Golden Nugget has great prices, but get their certs checked independently.

bill83

Rough_Rock
I just had a great experience with Good Old Gold. They are located in long island and I was able to access everything through their website. They were quick to reply to my emails and were able to overnight the ring after it was set. Good experience all around (the diamond sparkles like the sun)

princessleia

Rough_Rock
Thanks spt118, I had my e-ring reset at Barsky''s, they made me something custom and I liked their service as well. Just thought I''d ask about other''s experiences too. I''m planning on going to Neil Bruce also......

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I had a bad experience at Barsky's. They claimed they had a setting that would fit my asscher 100% and sit almost flush with the halo. It was 4 mm above, with "extended" prongs. They said they were claw, but when I got my ring back, it was a huge prong with a small line through the center. Not REAL claw prongs. I had to fight to have them refund ALL the money.

I then went to Golden Nugget. They were pushy, but I ended out getting an awsome heavy platinum mounting with two trap diamonds that were almost exactly what they claimed they were in terms of color and clarity. They set my diamond perfectly by putting in a new head. I was happy with them.
36.gif
They worked with me on the price, too!

spt118

Rough_Rock
Golden Nugget was the best on price for sure... My sales person was actually pretty nice. I just had an issue with one of the diamonds I picked out not matching up (the egl cert was way off) when I had AGA look at it. They were cool about it though, and had the next one checked out by AGA before anything else.

I also went with them on based on price. I wanted Platinum and they were cheaper in Platinum then most other places were in white gold. Neil Bruce was cheaper then Barsky''s but Barsky''s had a better selection.

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
I'm upset you did not like the custom halo style ring we made for your diamond. On a positive note,the ring we fabricated for you ultimately made you realize that the halo style was not your style. I love the halo design but the style ring you truly wanted and love and purchased is hands down one of my favorites. Clean,classic and timeless. I'm happy that you found a totally different style ring you love. I apologize for any fighting on our behalf about the full refund that you received from our store. Golden Nugget is a great store even if you found them pushy. I'm happy that they had what you really wanted at a fair price.

Did you really have a bad expierence or just change you mind? I'm sorry I'm going nuts trying to remember your sale. I looked backed at some of your other posts and found this-

Well, I was unhappy with my 1.92 asscher (square emerald cut) diamond, which was in a plain platinum mounting. Options?

Well, first I changed the setting to antique. Then I changed it back to a plain, cathedral platinum mounting. Then I placed it into a halo (diamonds all around). Then I put it back into a plain mounting (this time, it sat low). Next, I had a new mounting with step-cut traps diamonds so it looked like a 3-stone...THEN WITHOUT MUCH HESITATION I DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO CHANGE THE.....

DIAMOND

So, now I am happy with my Tiffany & Co emerald cut diamond (it is better color, with a larger appearance, despite being a 1.5).....

Posted: 10/17/2007 3:37:57 PM

If you had a bad experience, what do you suggest I could have done differently to have made it a good one?

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
I''m sorry but i"m not trying to be a jerk but why are you saying you had a bad expierence? You have to understand I have my heart and soul in my store. I care what people think. Here are your original post.

: 9/8/2006 7:26:58 PM
UCLABelle
UCLABelle

Ideal Rock
Total Posts: 915
Last Post: 10/18/2007
Find all posts | Pictures

Subscribe to this author Hello Everyone!

I will get pics up ASAP! I love it so much and wouldn''t have done it different! I did go to Barsky''s!!!! Nice people, good jeweler....Put it in double prongs too!!! Yippy!

I love the "pop" factor missing from the diamond in the previous setting...

Pics to come!

Then buyers remorse, again your own post-

9/9/2006 1:48:23 PM
UCLABelle
UCLABelle

So, my loving husband-to-be noticed today that I seemed blue...After one day, I realized I hated the new setting. It was beautiful, but just too flashy for my simple plain personality...so he took it back to a jeweler to have my diamond put back in platinum. Now we have a .50ct 14kt white gold beautiful halo that cost over $1100.00 and have no way of getting rid of it (perhaps for $200 on ebay?!)....SUCH A BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD DAY!

Never ever in my wildest dreams will I EVER switch my diamond out of that mounting again...........NEVER!

Then you say after complaints we gave your money back. I went above and beyond for you. You only had rave reviews for your Halo ring then I read this post-

The store refunded the money after a few complaints I had (the halo was a tad skewed, the ring was set WAY too high and one prong was already chipped)....of course I didn''t walk in and say "I hate this now after one day". I learned my lesson though, and at least they worked with me. I then took my loose diamond and old mounting to a nearby jewlery repair shop and had it set...So, I guess I am still on the lookout for a setting...

So please tell me why you had a bad expierence at my store. You changed your mind and you even posted that we worked with you by refunding your money. Please tell me why you feel the need to bash my store on a public forum. I''m not attacking you, I''m just disappointed how you bashed my company after, I did the right thing by you. You even posted that I did the right thing yourself. You were in so much love with the halo when you first received it from us. After you decided the halo was to flashy for your taste and you did not like it anymore, the story changed to complaints about workmanship. Worst of all 1 year later you post that you had a bad experience and that you had to "fight for a refund". I am sorry but this is the main reason why you can''t believe everything you read. I just hope other people looked at your old post and realized how you contradict yourself many times. Why do I deserve your bashing what did I do to you that you felt like you want to hurt me and tell people you had to fight for your money. Thanks a lot UCLABelle thank you for destroying all that a public forum stands for. I feel better now that we all know the truth .
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results