shape
carat
color
clarity

jeweler's loupe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeeyun

Rough_Rock
Hello. My fiance and I have just purchased a diamond online, and we've caught diamond fever.
smile.gif
We've done a lot of research, but I find that the more you know, the more there is to find out. Being a mathematician, I've found the details (especially the cut) of diamonds to be fascinating. So, I am searching for a jeweler's loupe to begin my diamond hobby. Does anyone have any recommendation on where to get a decent loupe and/or what I should be looking for in a good loupe?Thanks so much.Jeeyun

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good loupes can cost +$100. But beware you may have the tools but get into lots more trouble than if you didnt.
Learning clarity is very difficult without 1000's of stones and an honest instructor.
In the end it is the cert that counts anyway.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Agreed! I wouldn't personally attempt to grade a diamond. I know my status as novice at best very well. But the enhanced view helps in asking questions. I am taking my loose stone to my appraiser today. He will appraise it loose, and then add the setting to the appraisal once it is set, taking a photo of the final product. He's a good guy and does not sell anything but his services.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rodentman, who is your appraiser? People are asking about independent appraisers all the time...Let us know your experience please. I'm especially interested in the result because there are not so many EightStar diamonds out there.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My appraiser's website is www.cgacompany.com I do not know how he would handle mail-in's etc. I also am not sure if he is familiar with Eightstar and would value the stone accordingly. I'll let you know. I don't plan on telling him anything about the diamond; I want to get a straight view from him. We'll see if he comments on the girdle inscription. I am not trying to "test" him; I have great respect for him, but not all appraisers know about super-ideals, H&A. I will post my results tomorrow.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Rodentman...I checked the website and found very impressive credentials.Look forward for the results.(spelling!)

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I found one on eBay for $3.99 plus $2.00 shipping. If it is as in the photo it is the "real thing."

jeeyun

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the warning. I don't plan on choosing diamond purchases based on my observations. The two diamond purchases I've made were both GIA certified. I'm just fascinated by and curious about diamonds in general and want to study what I have and some pieces that my mother has handed down to me. Is there other equipment, besides a loupe and this nifty ideal-scope, that are interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results