shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers and stone swaps?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcboeckl

Rough_Rock
If I buy my Diamond from an internet store and have it shipped to my jeweler is there any way to ensure the jeweler doesn't do a swaparoo on me?

I've heard this is becoming a problem. Should I take it to be appraised after its set...is there anyway they could say read the AGS inscription when its already been set? I know the owner of the store and trust him but its a big store and who knows who he has working for him....it would be really easy for them to set the wrong stone.

Any other thoughts?

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I would make sure to get an inclusion plot of the diamond from the vendor and possibly a sarin report. These will give you some identification characteristics that will help you to determine whether the diamond is switch. Pay attention to inclusions, blemishes, girdle, crown, and pavilion sizes, fluoresence, color. You may also be able to get some pictures of the diamond or even an ideal-scope picture.

Also you could have it inscribed or get a gem print. If it is inscribed you should be able to read the inscription even if it has been set, using a 10x triple loop. The down fall of having a gem print, is that you need to get another one afterwords to show if it is the same diamond.

Hope that helps

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: we send all our stones to the egl to do a "gemguard" free of charge to the consumer.
this service is done by their gemologists wherby they check to see that the stone you ordered matches the certificate it came with(ie g.i.a, e.g.l, i.g.i etc...) after they check it they send the the stone with a passport size document (gemguard) stating that the stone matches the certificate it came with (including the original certificate and diamond). therfore saving you the trouble of going to another jeweler and paying more money to identify the validity of the stone!
:appl:

diamondsman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results