shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler screwed up ring, advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

inthewind

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I proposed to my girlfriend last Thursday! I will post the story and pics of the ring soon.

It is a platinum 900, 100 palladium setting. It was custom made in another country and was a tad too big.

My fiance wanted to get a plastic ring spacer until we found a more permanent solution. She went to a local jeweler and asked for a plastic spacer. The jeweler instead told her to get a metal one as it wouldn''t do harm to the ring. My fiance agreed, when she came to pick it up there were deep scratches in the metal. She asked why and they said, "that is how it is."

My fiance was very upset, she called me and told me what happened. I told her she should go back and have them take the spacer out and have them polish it. She ended up just having them take the spacer out and left as she was too upset.

I called the owner and spoke with him. He said he would have a look and polish it, they close early so it wasn''t possible to do it today. He did say that his jewelers are at times hasty with customers who didnt get there ring from them. Which I thought was ridiculous.

I hadn''t seen it until now. However, I just did and I am pissed. This is ridiculous. These scratches are deep and it is hard not to feel like they were deliberate. They are on the outside and inside. I understand the spacer was metal, but the damage seems like a lot. Sad to think we paid $3 to leave with a damaged ring.

I am attaching pictures, my question is will they even be able to remove these things? What else should I do?
Thanks for the help.

DSC_3084.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is ridiculous. Platinum is quite malleable and should be able to be fixed but not sure i trust this jeweler to do it!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty much anything can be repaired. The scratches are visible, but probably can be pushed back and polished (unless they gouged it with a chisel, the metal is still all there). Question is who does it and who pays for it... (answer: they won''t and they should, respectively)

Diamond Consultant

Rough_Rock
Yup, that definitely can be repaired to look good as new. They better do it for you for free. The thing to consider is how deep the scratches are. If they are too deep, they will have to use a laser machine to mold platinum. Otherwise, they might just use white gold to solder it. Not too many jewelers have laser machines though. Hopefully the scratches aren''t too deep.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Any reason why you wouldn't get it sized to fit without needing a spacer? If you do size it, take it to a high end shop where they want your business.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:11:54 PM
Author: Diamond Consultant
Yup, that definitely can be repaired to look good as new. They better do it for you for free. The thing to consider is how deep the scratches are. If they are too deep, they will have to use a laser machine to mold platinum. Otherwise, they might just use white gold to solder it. Not too many jewelers have laser machines though. Hopefully the scratches aren''t too deep.
I wouldn''t want white gold used on my platinum ring.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Call around to three or four jewelers and ask "who''s the best platinumsmith in the area".

Then use that guy and forget these bozos. They will cost you more aggravation than it''s worth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results