shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler Recommendation: Soldering Platinum and White Gold?

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Good Morning, All! I have been researching the process of soldering a platinum & white gold ring together. :read: The consensus seems to be: It's a labor intensive process and requires a highly skilled jeweler.
I'm wondering: Has anyone had this process done to any of their rings? Any recommendations on a skilled jeweler that I can speak with?
Thanks!

Diamond2014

Rough_Rock
Re: Jeweler Recommendation: Soldering Platinum and White Gol

I had my platinum ring soldered with white gold. I had an experienced jeweler who did a WONDERFUL job on the solder. The white gold needs to be replate with rhodium though as it turned yellow now. Attached, you'll see a picture of the wonderful job of this experienced jeweler:

solderplatinumwithwhitegold.png

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock

:confused:

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

An experienced jeweler should be able to solder platinum an white gold with no issue, and then rhodium plate them once they are done.

Are these two distinct rings being soldered together? Or is it a platinum head with a white gold shank?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's an iffy proposition because platinum alloys & gold alloys have very different metallurgical properties, e.g., melting points, thermal conductivity, expansion co-efficients (and IIRC a jeweler cannot de-stress platinum after it has been fabricated into a jewelry piece & such soldering of 2 rings is impossible if the platinum ring is made of a platinum-cobalt alloy)

Might there not be another solution to the problem(s) prompting your question?

Sarahblue

Rough_Rock

I had it done and my jeweler didn't even mention anything about it being difficult. It was a 14k white gold wedding band and a platinum engagement ring. He rhodium plated them after. I even had them separated and resized a few years later with no problems.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Basically anyone should be able to solder a platinum and white gold ring together using white gold solder. Now... is that the best thing to do... probably not. Using white gold solder on platinum is kind of sloppy. But if you're not worried about best practices, go for it.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock

JoshuaNiamehr|1421608726|3818499 said:
An experienced jeweler should be able to solder platinum an white gold with no issue, and then rhodium plate them once they are done.

Are these two distinct rings being soldered together? Or is it a platinum head with a white gold shank?

They are 2 distinct rings, 1 all Plat and 1 all WG.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock

MollyMalone|1421609757|3818506 said:
It's an iffy proposition because platinum alloys & gold alloys have very different metallurgical properties, e.g., melting points, thermal conductivity, expansion co-efficients (and IIRC a jeweler cannot de-stress platinum after it has been fabricated into a jewelry piece & such soldering of 2 rings is impossible if the platinum ring is made of a platinum-cobalt alloy)

Might there not be another solution to the problem(s) prompting your question?

This is very helpful thank you! I was contemplating having an existing Platinum diamond band soldered to a 18K WG ring, but after reading everyone's input and suggestions I think the search is on for an 18K diamond band. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results