shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler offered to get the spot removed!! is it OK??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

saliocp

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have been searching for a enagagement ring for some time and I have trying to get he bang for my buck. A jeweler showed me a 2.53 Carat, EGL certified SI3 clarity and H color diamond in marquie shape. The Dimension (W:L) are almost perfect, only off by 0.007 and there is no bow tie. He is selling it for 8K but there is a small slightly visible bark spot in the center of the diamond. He said that he is going to sent the diamond to New York ,where they will drill the diamond with laser and fill it in so that the spot will not be visible to maked eye. He also said that the correction is good for life.

So the questions are:
1) How does EGL compares to GIA? What SI3/H will be equal to on GIA scale?
2) Is the filling in process good fpr life?
3) How the price looks? Does this sound like a good deal?

Thank you in advance for your assitance.

Sincerely

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/19/2003 8:48:46 PM saliocp wrote:

Hi

I have been searching for a enagagement ring for some time and I have trying to get he bang for my buck. A jeweler showed me a 2.53 Carat, EGL certified SI3 clarity and H color diamond in marquie shape. The Dimension (W:L) are almost perfect, only off by 0.007 and there is no bow tie. He is selling it for 8K but there is a small slightly visible bark spot in the center of the diamond. He said that he is going to sent the diamond to New York ,where they will drill the diamond with laser and fill it in so that the spot will not be visible to maked eye. He also said that the correction is good for life.

So the questions are:
1) How does EGL compares to GIA? What SI3/H will be equal to on GIA scale?
2) Is the filling in process good fpr life?
3) How the price looks? Does this sound like a good deal?

Thank you in advance for your assitance.

Sincerely
----------------

Most people on this list will probably recommend getting a smaller, well-cut, untreated stone.

If size is the most important consideration for your gf, maybe it is not a bad idea, but most people shy away from laser drilled stones for engagement rings. To buy a treated stone is kinda like buying a car with a rebuilt engine.

EGL-LA is more reliable than the foreign EGL labs. You should find out which EGL lab did the grading.

GIA has no SI3 grade. GIA would likely grade the stone I1 or I2.

If it is laser drilled, GIA would refuse to grade it.

Hope this helps.

barry1

Rough_Rock
DON'T DO IT. Clarity inhanced diamonds are not good at all. I had one crack on me.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I am not an expert in the field, but this is what I have read.

Clarity enhancement of this kind involves laser drilling a tunnel to the inclusion. Resin is injected to coat the inclusion and fill the drill tunnel. Once the resin hardens, it has nearly the same refractive index as diamond. The diamond will look nice, but you can have problems with the diamond later. First, you've created an internal to surface "fracture" that could lead to lack of structural integrity. Second, you must declare the treatment any time you have the diamond worked on by a jeweler. Jewelers usually use a torch, and the heat can literally melt the resin. Third, the treatment tends not to be permanent. The resin can eventually discolor meaning the process has to be repeated, provided the diamond holds together thru the process a second time.

You could accept the diamond as is and consider the flaw an identifying characteristic, or look for another diamond. I would tend toward looking for another diamond with a different dealer. Sounds this jeweler tried to play on your lack of knowledge to unload an undesirable diamond. Definitely do not consider a laser drilled, clarity enhanced diamond. You're looking for an accident to happen.
15.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Caratz;

GIA grades laser drilled diamonds, if the drill hasn't been filled. They do not grade fracture filled stones, though.

I don't think laser drilling is such a bad thing... An inclusion has simply been drilled and becomes white/clear instead of dark. It's up to you. Can you live with a treated stone? Does this bother you?

BTW, EGL SI 3 usually = GIA I 1

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
To buy a treated stone is kinda like buying a car with a rebuilt engine.
----------------

Well said.

A clarity-enhanced diamond is a compromised diamond. You might never have any problems, but if you *do* she's going to be very unhappy down the line.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Saliocp

You asked for advice and your are getting some good answers.

I would never buy or sell a drilled and/or filled diamond but that doesn't mean that you would not. There are thousands of them out there. Each one is a potential problem as pqcollectibles said. The first time some jeweler hits the ring/diamond with a blow torch, that resin is going to bubble out of that drill hole in about 2 seconds and you are going to have a problem with your girlfriend/wife and the jeweler because somebody is going to get accused of doing something to your diamond.
I would fine another diamond and let mr. jeweler keep his black spot marquise. Let some other fish bite that hook.
EGL H SI3 is probably a GIA I I1 which if true makes that diamond expensive.
Would you/she rather get complements on how big it is or how beautiful it is? Do you need future problems with your diamond?
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results