shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler Lost my ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
My local jeweler has LOST my 1950''s diamond eternity band.
6.gif

It''s not actually in my avatar picture, I never got around to taking an updated one with it. There would be one on each side.

It''s been nearly a month and I''m still processing it. They''re customer service is horrible, and hardly seem concerned that they''ve "misplaced" my ring, that''s how they put it. They tell me that they''ve never lost a ring before as if that will make me feel better. This is a place that has been around for generations in our town/city. It''s really well known and highly respected. I liked that they have a benchman right there, and that they also are Rolex authorized.

One of the owners tells me that "we''ll get you a new ring".....as if that makes it all better too.

That particular ring though not a family heirloom, was MY RING, one that took nearly 2 years to find searching through estate dealers, etc. to find just the right one to match the other two. It means a lot to me beause the "hunt" was part of the journey for finding just the right rings for me. I wanted old, pre-loved platinum diamond eternity bands. I like things in 3s and now one is missing.

Fortunately I had pictures and good descriptions. I dropped them off today and again was made to feel less than important. We''ll see how this turns out. I''ll be pretty picky about the replacement too. It won''t have the attachment that I feel for my "set" and I''m seriously considering redoing the entire thing now. I''ve contacted a dealer/designer in NY that makes a modern version of the circa 1920-50''s 4 prong eternity ring.

What makes this the hardest for me is that I don''t loose my jewelry. I have every piece that I''ve ever had including the first pair of earrings I got at age 11.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
cnspotts,
I am sooo sorry. I pray they find it!!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
That totally completely SUCKS...and even worse that they are not grovelling at your feet about it =(

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Crap.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is terrible and it sounds like they are being really callous about it. I think that attitude of theirs is bad, just because they never lost a ring before, are you supposed to feel okay about YOUR loss in that case? Just bad all around, I am really sorry.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, I knew I could get some support here since I wasn''t feeling the love there. I''ll keep updating but I''m not expecting much and I''m a half full kind of girl.

MrYoung

Rough_Rock
cnspotts,

Im sorry to hear about your bad luck.

If you do need to replace it, make sure your jewelry establishment replaces it appropriately (probably your choice of the below methods- ask them to check with thier insurance agent):

Replacement-new
Replace the item with a new one, using modern tools and methods

Replacement-comparable
Replace the item with a CIRCA 1950''s diamond eternity band. Most likely found at auction.

Replacement-reproduction
Replacement with 1950 methods and tools (probably not that much different then replacement-new method)

"I wanted old, pre-loved platinum diamond eternity bands." Sounds like you want a replacement-value comparable. Hope this helps.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Oh you poor thing! My heart just goes out to you. How irresponsible of that jeweler! I agree with rockzilla--they should be overly polite and kissing your hiney since this was a total error of their doing. Don''t take any crap from them. Demand what you deserve and want. I just feel so bad for ya. I can''t wait to hear how that jeweler plans on making this right with you.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awful! I agree with others-don''t take any crap from them. I can''t believe that they aren''t jumping through hoops to try and find it. I hope that they find it for you.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there much chance they can find it now? Its been missing a long time. How do they just lose a ring?? Its disgraceful!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry for all you''ve been through. They should be more considerate to you. Please report back when you get a replacement ring and let us know how they did.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s insane. I can''t believe they''re not groveling at your feet, begging for forgiveness. I would give them one more chance to find your ring and then I''d start to get nasty with them. I''m sorry you''re dealing with this and I''ll keep my fingers crossed that your ring turns up!

P.S. A Catholic trick is to pray to Saint Anthony when you lose something...maybe worth a try!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is horrible! I can''t believe they aren''t kissing the ground you walk on and begging for your forgiveness. I hate when someone is at fault but they play victim or downplay its importance. You need to do what is right for YOU. Even if that means THEM giving YOU money to go with the modern replacement you found. Good luck and keep us updated.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Urgh. so frustrating. I had a really terrible experience with a local jeweler too, and she would not admit that she was at fault. THAT was the worst part. In the end, all material items can be "resolved", however, your negative feelings surrounding the episode can never be ''resolved'' completely.

what ever happened to customer service? Remember when the ''customer was always right''?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I''m so sorry to hear that! The disappointment is so much worse when you''re a good jewelry owner and keep everything.

What were they doing with your band when they lost it?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I do feel for you.What a horrible thing to happen and their attitude about the whole thing.The shoe repair place once lost ??? my pair of shoes.He paid me full price on the spot.The shoes had no sentimental value, but at least they sorted it out right away.I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 9:38:13 AM
Author: thing2of2
Wow, that''s insane. I can''t believe they''re not groveling at your feet, begging for forgiveness. I would give them one more chance to find your ring and then I''d start to get nasty with them. I''m sorry you''re dealing with this and I''ll keep my fingers crossed that your ring turns up!

P.S. A Catholic trick is to pray to Saint Anthony when you lose something...maybe worth a try!
That''s what I''m thinking, and what I would be doing....

I''m so sorry.
7.gif

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh I read the title and I was hoping there was a happy ending... And then I read the post and my heart sank. I wanted to cry for you.
7.gif
I am so very sorry this had to happen for you. It''s not something you can just forget or get over.
7.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
cnspotts,

I am so angry fo you. This is unacceptable...
38.gif

I hope it works out (somehow) for you.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Cn, I am so so sorry. What a frustrating experience, and then to be met with indifference...grrr! I am sorry and hope this gets resolved to your advantage sooner rather than later.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH NO,
23.gif
, that is just awful!! I''m so, so sorry. Are they sure they can''t find it? I''m sending my most positive thoughts that it turns up and you don''t have to replace it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yikes! that is awful! i certainly hope they change their attitude and this is resolved for you. best wishes finding a replacement!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry, this is always a fear in the back of my mind when I drop items off at the jewelers....

WISHING YOU THE BEST!
40.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
What a lousy thing to have happen. We all love our stuff here so much and agonize over the selection of it that I can completely empathize with your loss. That store needs to give you lifetime free somethings to make up for not kissing your feet over this and losing it to begin with. What a negative experience this must have been for you.

shay

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! Those jewelers deserve to go out of business for treating a customer like that! They should know better!! That''s so angering. I am so sorry for what has happened to you. I really hope they find it...
29.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the support.

Yes, I''d had reservations about dropping it off but I''d actually waited quite awhile before deciding to do just that...always in the back of my mind that something would happen. Silly. My gut says that someone liked it enough to walk out of there with it. My hopes are that it''s tucked itself into a small place and will return into view soon....since it''s only "misplaced." The repair was minor, it needed one of the internal base rings welded back in place. It woud pop out slightly and I was afraid I bend it taking it on & off.

MrYoung, my hopes are that the Jeweler will have decent contacts and be able to find an circa ''50 original ring for replacement. Thank you for pointing out my options. I have spent hours searching nearly every online dealer, many contacts, photos, etc. so I''m not too hopeful of that outcome. I did find a new band that I like should it come to that but the last thing I want to do is remodel my rings and that would be the case if I go that route.

So many of you agree that there should be a little, if not a lot of a$$ Kissing. Except for the son of the owner it seems that they don''t really believe that it been lost or that it''s their fault, but the son KNOWS because he put it in he little bag to begin with. It was just before the Holiday when it became obvious that they had no idea where my ring was, also it was pre Holiday rush and seemed thoroughly uninterested since they had big sales to make.

I''m amazed that they have not reached out to me once through this. Every contact has been initiated by me.

Where''s my ring?
What do you mean I picked it up?
You can''t find it?
You lost it?
What are you going to do about this?
etc.

3 in person visits, 2 phone calls

I''m going to give them until mid-week to see if they respond to the pictures and description with a plan of action. Hubbs says to go visit in person, speak to the owner, plus I need to have the Police show up and make a report in the store. "Loss of property" and I need an offical report at this point. Unfortunately that might freak them out since it''s THE particular store in a particular area but maybe that what they need, alittle intimidation. After all my husband is a Police officer and he was present the day it was discovered "missing." My poor nekkid finger.
38.gif

I always read that you should build a repoire with your local jeweler, I tried, they failed. Thank god it wasn''t something much more valuable.

The underbelly humor in all this...one of my massage clients is the competitor jeweler in the city, their shops are very near one another. I didn''t say anything but during his massage I kept thinking ...."HE wouldn''t have lost my ring!"
20.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry about your loss!AND Im sorry that you have been treated so badly ...i wish you luck in getting everything you deserve .I would make sure that the police report has a little something about how shabby you were treated by the shop and i would contact any better business type of organizations to let them know how you were treated.

MrYoung

Rough_Rock
These sort of rings will most likely be found at auction. There is a list of a few reputable auctioneers on my website:

http://www.vermontgemlab.com/ (Click on the "Links" button)

Sotheby''s Auction House
Christie''s Auction House
Bonham''s Auction House
Freeman''s Auction House
Joseph DuMouchelle Auction House

Or you may try a brokerage firm:
CIRCA
www.circajewels.com

It is really the stores responsibility to track down and find you a replacement. They will, and should, admit to thier loss, apologize, and call up thier insurance company who will in turn find a replacement-comparable. As horrible as this might seem, with the right information, you''ll have a SIMILAR replacement. If you can produce any photos of it- this will help. Think of a time you may have been photographed giving a toast!

Every now and then, a DJ will break a record, a skier his skis and, unfortunately, a jeweler his jewels. There is no excuse, however, for lies and excuses.

Best of luck.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I''m so srry for what happened, and I wish you the best of luck with this "place". Uggh, absolutely horrible...

Just wanted to say what came to my mind while reading this... Your ring is obviuosly VERY rare, and many people will pay a much higher price to not have to search for such a gorgeous band. How reputable is this jeweler? Would they have sold it to a "higher" bidder, if they knew that replacing it, with a new one to you, would mean they make money on the transaction?? I''m a half-full type of girl too, but this just seems wayyyyy too shady!!!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for you
15.gif

How can they think it''s not their fault?! I don''t get that! Helllllooooo it was in their possession when "misplaced."
38.gif

They should not only be groveling, but offering you something in addition to replacing it. It''s just not right to treat people like that.

I do hope it turns up very soon, but if not, I hope you find one you love as much.

BTW, love the term you used "pre-loved," very cute.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results