shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler here or in NY?

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I've been posting about an eternity band and I'm confused of whether to work with a jeweler here in LA (Icing on the Ring) or Mark Turnkowski in NY. Anyone can help me with their thoughts? I'll give some pros and cons:

-working with jeweler in LA, I get to see the diamonds live and setting etc. so more hands on. the eternity band will basically be a mold or cast so I wont be able to have thinner or more refined look for the u-prong style im doing. though it still looks fine and good but not as delicate on the profile. Jeweler here will be charging more. $5200-5800 (before tax) for what im looking into. no returns but they do a lot of work before hand to ensure you will be happy. they are responsive, accommodating and local and have good reviews and reputation.

-I've seen a lot of raves for Mark at Brilliantly engaged and seen a lot of his work and looks amazing. I would be working from LA to NY and mostly over internet. His settings I believe are hand made not machine so it seems like he is able to make it look more delicate and nice. he is offering me the same thing, except better in terms of a higher clarity level for $5000 (before tax). Offers refunds on diamonds not work or metal if there is any problem. Though im looking for prongs to be placed differently and im not sure he will make changes to the design. his u-prongs are amazing but the prongs are more pinched for a more scalloped look and I like them further out. I think my bggest fear with this is not being able to try something on to get an idea before I go ahead.

any thoughts. im so confused! and in addition ive gone pretty far with jewler in LA, so I just don't know what to do when in get fairly involved and have their help and then end up going with someone different. any thoughts on how to handle if you work with a jeweler a lot then end up going with someone else. im between these two choices.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
You mention only these two as options, but you may want to consider Maytal Hannah. She's in LA and does extremely refined pave work, hand-forged. I would go to her for a custom eternity band. I think Victor Canera is in your area, too. I've not worked with him, but he has an excellent reputation here.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliantly Engaged (formerly Engagement Rings Direct) was one of the few jewelers my late father-in-law -- who was "in the trade" here in NYC but on the wholesale end & he never wanted to get involved with a retail consumer transaction -- would recommend to friends and neighbors who wanted a custom ring, but weren't interested in working with the higher-priced Steven Kirsch or Leon Mege who don't offer cast rings, only hand-forged. And as you've noticed, we've seen lovely pieces here on PS from Brilliantly Engaged.

But I suggest that you seek some additional clarification from BE in order to help you make your decision. For some years now, BE has had a "bench" for hand-forged rings, but BE's rings are not exclusively hand-forged; many are fabricated using CADs and casting. So if hand-forging is important to you, you should ask them about the options and difference in pricing were they to do hand-forged vs. cast. Please don't feel shy about asking Mark about the less scalloped look you prefer.

Also, I believe it's only loose diamonds that may be returned to BE, for a full credit, within 30 days; based on BE's FAQ page, I doubt your custom-made eternity band would be returnable, but that's something to clarify with them:
https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/faq
FYI: it's rare for any jeweler to agree to take back a custom-made piece and issue a refund, so don't hold such a policy against BE, your local jeweler, or, e.g., Victor Canera or Maytal Hannah.

Although many/most of the rings seen on PS are the fruits of long-distance collaboration, it sounds as if you would be more comfortable with a jeweler whom you can meet face-to-face -- and there's no shame in that; having met and chatted with the jeweler may also make your ring feel extra-special to you. Living in the LA metro area, you have some wonderful options there in your own "backyard"!

Are you willing to pay a "design fee" to the current jeweler you've been working with should you decide to have someone else fabricate the ring? Offering to pay such compensation would be a fair-minded gesture that shows you appreciate the time and attention he gave you :))

Last edited:

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
You mention only these two as options, but you may want to consider Maytal Hannah. She's in LA and does extremely refined pave work, hand-forged. I would go to her for a custom eternity band. I think Victor Canera is in your area, too. I've not worked with him, but he has an excellent reputation here.

I haven't heard of Maytal Hannah, will look her up. I know of Victor Canera, his stuff is perfection. I think he quoted me quite a bit more on my project, though I may have been going for bigger size stones when I called...

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Brilliantly Engaged (formerly Engagement Rings Direct) was one of the few jewelers my late father-in-law -- who was "in the trade" here in NYC but on the wholesale end & he never wanted to get involved with a retail consumer transaction -- would recommend to friends and neighbors who wanted a custom ring, but weren't interested in working with the higher-priced Steven Kirsch or Leon Mege who don't offer cast rings, only hand-forged. And as you've noticed, we've seen lovely pieces here on PS from Brilliantly Engaged.

But I suggest that you seek some additional clarification from BE in order to help you make your decision. For some years now, BE has had a "bench" for hand-forged rings, but BE's rings are not exclusively hand-forged; many are fabricated using CADs and casting. So if hand-forging is important to you, you should ask them about the options and difference in pricing were they to do hand-forged vs. cast. Please don't feel shy about asking Mark about the less scalloped look you prefer.

Also, I believe it's only loose diamonds that may be returned to BE, for a full credit, within 30 days; based on BE's FAQ page, I doubt your custom-made eternity band would be returnable, but that's something to clarify with them:
https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/faq
FYI: it's rare for any jeweler to agree to take back a custom-made piece and issue a refund, so don't hold such a policy against BE, your local jeweler, or, e.g., Victor Canera or Maytal Hannah.

Although many/most of the rings seen on PS are the fruits of long-distance collaboration, it sounds as if you would be more comfortable with a jeweler whom you can meet face-to-face -- and there's no shame in that; having met and chatted with the jeweler may also make your ring feel extra-special to you. Living in the LA metro area, you have some wonderful options there in your own "backyard"!

Are you willing to pay a "design fee" to the current jeweler you've been working with should you decide to have someone else fabricate the ring? Offering to pay such compensation would be a fair-minded gesture that shows you appreciate the time and attention he gave you :))

Yes about BE as it comes to mind im not sure he said hand forged about my ring, but maybe custom. which I'd assume most eternity bands would be. And yes you are right the diamonds can be returned should there be any issues but not the ring itself. I'm quite intrigued and would love to do my work with BE, but I guess im worried about not being able to try things on. I need to have a little more communication to see how I feel. I know he works with people long distance and all over!

you know with the jeweler ive seen ive only been into their office once but had several communications over email and I think he thinks I'll be moving forward with them, and I'm not totally sure until I go a little further in discussions with BE. I guess I think if we come to a perfect understanding of how I want the ring with BE, I think its possible they can do a better job and even for less $. So I certainly want that, but there is comfort in being able to go and see stuff in person and work with someone locally so there lies my dilemma.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results