shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler chipped my stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heathernoel

Rough_Rock
I recently got engaged; my fiance knew I wanted a sapphire and waited for me to pick out the ring with him. We went to a local, reputable jewellery store and I picked out a gorgeous sapphire. It''s a 1.9 carat oval, cut beautifully with a medium blue color and a hint of purple. (I''ll try to post a picture) We may have paid a little more for it than at othe places, but I liked being able to pick it out in person and immediately fell in love with the stone.

The problem is: my fiance picked up the ring yesterday (after the stone had been set) and gave it to me last night. This morning I noticed a small chip on the edge and a dent/scratch on the table. They look like they came from the tools used to hold the stone while mounting it. Now I dont'' know what to do. What can I expect from the store since it clearly happened while they were setting the stone. I love this stone but wonder if I should take a new one if offered, if they even make an offer. I''m trying to be as laid back as possible, but every time I look at the beautiful stone I see the chip and look for the comet shapped scratch.

Help!

PS - This site was so helpful in my search and education for a ring. Thanks for the help from a previous lurker!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 9:04:30 PM
Author:heathernoel
I recently got engaged; my fiance knew I wanted a sapphire and waited for me to pick out the ring with him. We went to a local, reputable jewellery store and I picked out a gorgeous sapphire. It''s a 1.9 carat oval, cut beautifully with a medium blue color and a hint of purple. (I''ll try to post a picture) We may have paid a little more for it than at othe places, but I liked being able to pick it out in person and immediately fell in love with the stone.

The problem is: my fiance picked up the ring yesterday (after the stone had been set) and gave it to me last night. This morning I noticed a small chip on the edge and a dent/scratch on the table. They look like they came from the tools used to hold the stone while mounting it. Now I dont'' know what to do. What can I expect from the store since it clearly happened while they were setting the stone. I love this stone but wonder if I should take a new one if offered, if they even make an offer. I''m trying to be as laid back as possible, but every time I look at the beautiful stone I see the chip and look for the comet shapped scratch.

Help!

PS - This site was so helpful in my search and education for a ring. Thanks for the help from a previous lurker!

I am so sorry to hear this has happened. Please make an appointment to see the store manager tomorrow. Once they have a look at it, it will be interesting to hear what they are suggesting as a *fix* to this problem.

LS

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto LostSapphire. You must definitely speak with the store manager straight away and show them the damage to your stone.

Hopefully it can just be repolished by an expert to remove the damage without losing any significant carat weight - although this should be done at the store''s expense.

I am sorry, and do let us know how you get on.

x x x

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Take it straight back in.

My tsavorite was chipped and I had it repolished and it looks better than it did before.

You may have a problem if the store only set the stone and you didn't buy it from them as setting is at your risk not theirs. If they say this, then you need to claim on your insurance policy to have it fixed.

heathernoel

Rough_Rock

Luckily stone and setting came from the jeweller who chipped it. I think they are more used to working with diamonds and may have used too much force. Here''s a picture - it doesn''t give the full effect of the beautiful color of the stone, but you can see the chip on the left edge (and the chip is bigger underneath) and the mark on the table.

If the picture helps - I would like to know what could be reasonably expected to fix this.

Thanks for the help and words. I''ll let you know what they say they can do for me.

ring with scratch.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Does the circled area on this image show the damaged spot? It''s on the right, not the left. I''d guess the stone was dropped against a hard surface or was mishandled in some other way. IMO the only way to repair the chip would be to completely recut the stone. That would make the stone''s outline smaller. If the jeweler is responsible for the damage I think he should supply you with a new stone of the original size/quality.

Richard M.

Chipped Saph.jpg

heathernoel

Rough_Rock
Yep - that''s it - on the right (sorry for reversing). The chip is the worst, but there is also a dot with a streak on the table of the stone on the same side of the scratch.

It had to be the jeweller - because I got it at night and noticed it first thing in the daylight the next day. I was worried that it might mean I needed a whole new stone. I really love this one
8.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Also ask them to pull the work envolope...im hoping that they louped the stone before setting and had you sign off on the envolope that the stone came in with no damage...i cant imagine a store would not loupe a stone and check for damage before setting it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry that happened. They should be able to polish it and make it look better. Your ring is lovely.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
That really sucks.
7.gif

I would really be inclined to get a whole new stone myself, rather than accepting a re-cut of this one. I know that you love this sapphire (and it is very beautiful) but I would not want to suck up an unknown amount of carat loss from the stone arising from a re-cut.

Have you spoken with the jeweller about it yet?

x x x

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 12:30:28 AM
Author: Cleo
That really sucks.
7.gif

I would really be inclined to get a whole new stone myself, rather than accepting a re-cut of this one. I know that you love this sapphire (and it is very beautiful) but I would not want to suck up an unknown amount of carat loss from the stone arising from a re-cut.

Have you spoken with the jeweller about it yet?

x x x
Very good point the Cleo makes - they should get you an entire new stone.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
When I first started faceting I would take my stuff to a local jewelry store. They charged my high prices, but they have insurance. So when I took them a Tsavo Park Tsavorite, setting it they broke the stone. The worst chip I ever seen, they paided for the stone. They kept it to send it off to get recut to make up for some of their loss. With you stone it apprears to be a slight chip. It is something they can send off to get repaired, and then once done remount it. It is hard to imagine that the setting pliars scratched the table of stone, but the chip on the side it possible. Generally when you set them they chip right where the prong goes down. Since my expeirence I took courses and worked with a goldsmith friend. Now I set most of my stuff unless I''m to busy. Then I will send it to my Master goldsmith friend. Speak with the store manager and reach a compromise. If they damaged they have insurance to cover it. I have chipped my own stones, and have recut stones for other jewelers on occasion. The loss is not as large as you would suspect. I generally it is less than 10% and with the stone being cut well could be around 5% since it is a slight chip. So would be around 1.8 no less than 1.7. I would guess done right be close to 1.8. Faceting is not an exact science, but a heck of a guess on what to expect. I have a modified emerald tsavorite that had a large chip on the edge. I had to recut and lost about 10-15%. But was not in a good place, and deep. I say recut if you love the stone. Cause when they order you a replacement may not be the exact color, clarity, or cut. Just the possibility of not being as pleased with a new stone. New factors, sure you can work it out. Good luck and sorry to hear of the news.
John B.
Faceter

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I only lost a couple of points with mine and frankly the stone performs better with it. It was recut by a very good cutter.

If you love the stone, try a recut first, you might be suprised.

heathernoel

Rough_Rock

Thanks for everyone''s response! It was very helpful to know what to expect, hear other people''s experiences, and hear from the professionals

The store was appalled that the chip happened in the first place and then also upset that they let it go out that way. They are sending it off to have it fixed and then I will get to choose whether to keep it or to get a new stone. We are asking that they have other stones available at the same time this one comes back in so that I know all of my choices at the same time.

Hopefully the fix will be easy and won’t lessen the look of the stone.

Heather

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad to hear that you''re getting such good service from the store - it sounds as though they''re going to work hard to make it right. I''ll keep my fingers crossed for your lovely stone!

GemRite

Rough_Rock
That is good news, and recutting want hurt the look at all. The slight chip and scratch are easy to take care of. Also I like the idea they are giving you a choice after it is cut. I am glad it is working out for you. In no time at all you will have you ring back. Sounds like a good company to work with.
Take care,
John B. (www.GemRite.com)
Faceter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results