shape
carat
color
clarity

jeweler called diamond "pregnant diamond"

renaelock

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at a certain ring for a while and everytime I look at the ring it's a new one, same style, that has different flaws. The last time I saw the ring, it had a flaw in it that my friend asked the jeweler if it was a cloud or something. So this chick gets out her thing that she looks into with the ring right up to it that magnifies it. After looking at it she said it's a "pregnant diamond" one that has a diamond that was trying to form inside of it...is what it sounded like she was trying to tell me. Is there any such this as this?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never heard it described that way before, though it's cute - but, yeah, that can happen. Diamonds can have inclusions that are foreign - garnets and the like - or that are other diamonds (frequently described on certs as crystals).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's an interestingly poetic description. I'm guessing she wasn't trying very hard to sell this one.

In answer to your question, diamond inclusions that consist of other diamond crystals are common. On the GIA report this would be called a 'crystal' and it''s part of what's looked at when they set the clarity grade. As inclusions go, this is no better or worse than any other without knowing more about it. I'm guessing this means we're talking about an I1 or I2 but I suppose the 'embryo' could be really small and it could be as high as a VS. Do you have any more details about it? Can you see it without the little magnafier (by the way, that's called a loupe. For you diamond trivia buffs, that's a Flemish word that means 'little magnafier thingy'. It's pronounced loop)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zales is not a very good place to buy diamonds -- they change too much for the quality they offer.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pregnant diamond is certainly not a term used by well versed jewelers. You've seen several iterations of this same ring and always are able to see the flaws in the stones. You could probably see 15 more versions and always see flaws in the stones. I would definitely recommend contacting one of the PS vendors to see about a three stone ring. You'll get much better quality and deal with people who know diamonds inside and out!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe the diamond will give birth to a 1ct D IF stone... :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1307938602|2944503 said:

:lol:

Zales is not a very good place to get a quality stone. Your best bet is to put all your money into a center stone and
put it in a tiffany style setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears to be in the third trimester so that baby will be born in about 1.4 billion years. :D

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: :lol: :lol:

renaelock

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies. I agree zales isn't the best but I really like the setting it's in and I can't make it too complicated for my boyfriend. I've seen like 10 of these rings and there were only a couple that were really nice to me. But it's the meaning behind the ring and I know it will make me happy and that's all the matters

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
renaelock|1308016328|2945226 said:
thanks for the replies. I agree zales isn't the best but I really like the setting it's in and I can't make it too complicated for my boyfriend. I've seen like 10 of these rings and there were only a couple that were really nice to me. But it's the meaning behind the ring and I know it will make me happy and that's all the matters

I appreciate the point you are making, but overpaying dramatically for very poor quality is a big compromise to keep things simple IMO. But it is your money and your choice!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sure your boyfriend would be happy to make his $$$ go as far as possible. It doesn't have to be complicated to get a good quality stone. Maybe he just doesn't know that much about diamonds? Maybe if he knew the difference between getting a diamond at Zales vs. a vendor where you know exactly what you are paying for?

Best of luck to you in your upcoming engagement.

renaelock

Rough_Rock
If he knew more about diamonds it would be a different story I think but he's never researched which is his choice. I was suggesting to him, since we've visited the same zales SO much, that he call and see if they can hook him up with a less flawed one or something. But he doesn't seem to be into that idea, he just wants to go buy it. But anyway, I like the ring itself and he likes that I like it so everyone is pretty much happy. In the beginning I was looking at the buying a nice diamond and putting it into a setting but I just didn't like any of the settings that were offered where I looked, which I don't remember because it was that long ago. I'm also a try on the ring to see if I like it so I can't do the buy it all online and I'll be happy with it, it has to sit right, not all same size rings fit the same. Drama.

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to repeat what others have said: Do not buy from Zale. But I am pretty sure you are already set on buying from Zale so good luck and congratulations to you.

But but, I have to say it once more. If this could in anyway can give 1% chance to have you change your mind, do not buy from Zale. I've known 3 couples, which one of them is my sister, all very unhappy with the purchase they made after they got the ring appraised at later days. And one of them wanted to sell the ring after the divorce, the jeweler look at the diamond for like 5 secs, put it down and said he's not going to buy it. Asked why, he said he would have a hard time sell it...

If you really like the setting from Zale, get the design, then contact recommended vendors here to see if they can make custom design ring that similar to the one from Zale WITH a quality but cheaper cost diamond. A win win outcome.

Try briangavindiamonds.com. One of the best in the business, they do custom design ring and if you purchase one of their Signature line diamond (Heart and Arrow, or Brian Gavin Blue), you can get 5% discount as being a Pricescope member.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1307974686|2944696 said:
It appears to be in the third trimester so that baby will be born in about 1.4 billion years. :D
:lol:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1308017055|2945237 said:

I appreciate the point you are making, but overpaying dramatically for very poor quality is a big compromise to keep things simple IMO. But it is your money and your choice!

Ditto. Ultimately it's your decision, but you will be overpaying for low end quality.

renaelock

Rough_Rock
Ok now I am curious...where would I find a ring like I want, three stone with the side stones with a better quality diamond for 1500? I must not be good at searching online because I can't find anything around that price.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ID Jewelry is an excellent option. They have very good prices and have an excellent reputation on PS.

Here is a similar ring, the quality of the stones will be much much better I promise! And only $900. And if you want a setting like the one at Zales, you can easily ask for ID to make you one, I am sure it would all come in under $1500.

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_79&products_id=5608

Luann is very nice to deal with at ID and could help you easily. The stones would not come with lab reports, but would be top quality stones with no visible inclusions. They offer a discount for PSers. And they have a generous refund and return policy if you are not happy. But I guarantee that if you liked the diamonds at zales, you would be exstatic with the diamonds from ID ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results