shape
carat
color
clarity

Jennifer Hudson at Cannes - please help me shop!?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Deco is it Butter by Nadia?

Arjunajanethey're maybe a little spendy if you're shipping to AUS but try Etsy for similar designs. I got my bridesmaids dresses from a designer on there and she was very reasonable and the dresses came in every combination of colour, fabric, length, and style (fitted, a-line, full circle, fluttery hem) you could imagine!

ETA - whoops Deco, you beat me to it!
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can spend HOURS in here exploring the world of Butter by Nadia. There are videos explaining how to wrap -- and downloads and and and and ...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! Delster! It took me a bit of googling to "remember" ... thanks for posting it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deco for the input and helpful hints!
I have been intrigued by these wrap dresses, you see them advertised everywhere..

Have you bought one or had any experience with them?

I have to admit, I can kinda see myself not taking the time to learn different ways to wear etc
41.gif
I wouldn''t say I am plus sized, I just have stoopid big tatas, have done since I was young..So if I should be a certain smaller size in a dress or top, often I need to go up a size to fit ''the girls'' - sigh..

I''ve just had a quick look on Etsy and of course many are selling similar "multi look" dresses, but with healthier price tags
2.gif

I will post here if I find something I love and plan to buy..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2010 2:32:40 PM
Author: Delster

Arjunajanethey''re maybe a little spendy if you''re shipping to AUS but try Etsy for similar designs. I got my bridesmaids dresses from a designer on there and she was very reasonable and the dresses came in every combination of colour, fabric, length, and style (fitted, a-line, full circle, fluttery hem) you could imagine!

2.gif

Thanks Delster - I am on there now and there are lots of nice options it seems..
lol, Etsy is quickly becoming my ''one stop shop'' for everything! Clothing, gifts, jewellery - you name it
5.gif

Do you have any recommendations for certain stores on there for dresses / clothing? There is just so much to look through..
Usually I find etsy sellers are very fair with international shipping prices, actually..

eta: sorry, dunno why my writing is in bold..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Found an etsy seller that does made to measure dresses I really quite like - Ureshii

The clothes I wouldn't call cheap price-wise, but looks like they take the business of getting the fit perfect seriously, and have some "bust-friendly" pretty necklines....

Currently tossing up between this style:
link

coming up roses dress.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Or this one - link

Please disregard colours, as can be made in any desired colour..

Any votes one way or the other out of these two dresses?

tab dress.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that etsy seller''s stuff! I''ve never bought anything from her because I don''t really need any clothes, but love everything she does.

I like the top of the first dress, think it''d be more flattering for a larger chest, with the hem of the second dress.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 2:35:11 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 6/12/2010 2:32:40 PM

Author: Delster

Arjunajanethey''re maybe a little spendy if you''re shipping to AUS but try Etsy for similar designs. I got my bridesmaids dresses from a designer on there and she was very reasonable and the dresses came in every combination of colour, fabric, length, and style (fitted, a-line, full circle, fluttery hem) you could imagine!

2.gif

Thanks Delster - I am on there now and there are lots of nice options it seems..

lol, Etsy is quickly becoming my ''one stop shop'' for everything! Clothing, gifts, jewellery - you name it
5.gif

Do you have any recommendations for certain stores on there for dresses / clothing? There is just so much to look through..

Usually I find etsy sellers are very fair with international shipping prices, actually..

eta: sorry, dunno why my writing is in bold..

I used NataJane and found her great! I had some fit issues with my bridesmaids and the dresses coped fantastically with everything that was, eh, thrown at them!
2.gif
One girl was actually a 30J and with the boob tube under the dress she had no problems whatsoever.

Of the two dresses you linked, I''m with Addy, I like the top of the first one and the hem of the second
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Addy and Delster for your opinions on the Ureshii dresses - tbh, this is the same way I was leaning, so I am glad you ladies reaffirmed that.
5.gif

Thanks Delster for the rec'' for NataJane (on a side note, you have no idea how ironic that store name is
2.gif
)...I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the convertible dresses..did your BM''s have the convertible wrap styles? Did you happen to post any photos on PS at all?

Cheers!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Heh. I just bought the Butter wrap dress after reading this thread- I *desperately* need new clothes, I lost a bunch of weight last year and I realize all my favorite skirts are safety pinned to fit, or ripped, or just tatty looking and all of them are too big.

There was one used on ebay that was the exact color I had been trying to talk myself into (to branch out from black). I wasn''t quite prepared to go for the full price new one, and, although Newport News had a much cheaper version I don''t like their jersey material, and the cut didn''t look quite right to me. The satin (it''s the calf length satin version in a dusty darkish lavender purple- Cavern I think they called teh color) may be too unforgiving, but at least I will see if I like the style. If I do I might get a black one in jersey too.

It''ll be interesting to see if they''re right and you can use it to support er, larger size boobs without a bra. I really doubt it! But, it will show off my tattoos nicely!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
aj, I prefer the first dress you posted
1.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I ditto the Velvet by Graham and Spencer collection.
They do a lot of styles like that.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Like this one from Piperlime

pl790737-00vliv01.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Now I want a Jersey dress. Jeez.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
LGK,
I am glad this thread helped you decide to try something new! Please do report back and see how you feel about Butter convertible dress, I am curious.
1.gif

Lilyfoot and ILC, cheers for your opinions and ideas -
I ended up finding this tie-front dress by a NZ designer on etsy, and have ordered it in Khaki today (I also asked for a contrasting brown sash) - excited to receive it.
36.gif

TBH, I actually prefer the design over the Giambatissta (sp?) one, and also think the fabric will be more flattering and suitable for current Winter here..

It's from CastCouture on etsy, and she has quite a few cute designs and is super quick with convo's..
Also *much* happier about the price at only $60
5.gif

khaki fall dress etsy.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I think I will also order this one for work, if I like the first one:

Chocolate Pleated dress with Sash:

pleated dress with sash.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 7:12:07 AM
Author: arjunajane
Found an etsy seller that does made to measure dresses I really quite like - Ureshii

The clothes I wouldn''t call cheap price-wise, but looks like they take the business of getting the fit perfect seriously, and have some ''bust-friendly'' pretty necklines....

Currently tossing up between this style:

link

And as far as this seller Ureshii, I have decided to order some more versatile separates (top and skirt) instead of a dress - but not just yet as they are a lil more exxy and I''m still deciding whether it will be worth it...?
Here''s an example of what I may order..(but some different, more fun colours)..

This store is fun, lots of nice mix n match options..

The owners are helpful and communicative, and very dedicated to getting you the exact size and fit you want...so I would recommend them to any other girls with larger busts, or if you want to flatter your thighs or what ever it may be
5.gif

Hope this thread has been somewhat helpful for others and not an entirely selfish endeavor, lol!

coming up roses separates.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Got the wrap dress (wow, the girl who I bought it from shipped it fast- she has a red satin one still on eBay, and even though she has not much feedback she was a good seller.)

The dress? Not so versatile.

It is not big-boob friendly in any way, shape or form. (I think it would be great if you have perky A cups that don't need a bra at all- anything bigger? Not so much.) There's like one way you can wear it with a bra under, and believe you me, you need one. I tried it without a bra; actually, it was a lot more flattering than most anything else I've put on sans bra, I will admit that- until I leaned over just a little bit. Then pretty much everything went falling out with a flop, and the whole dress came undone without the boobs to support it- oops. Total accidental strip show. Well, DH enjoyed that, but you better believe I was glad I was trying it on in my own living room!

And even wrapped in the (one) way that covers a bra back, basically 1/3 of your boobs are hanging out. *Seriously* sluttastic and/or skankarific.

I did try it with a bra covered with a camisole. There's about two ways to wear it with the camisole under it that look nice, and that's definitely how I'll be wearing it. It would be better with a black dress and black camisole. It's mostly the back straps I find look kind of funny with the camisole- the front is much better (like, I can wear it in public without fearing someone will stuff a $20 down the front).

I did wear it out to dinner safety pinned in front and that was ok with a jacket over the top to hide the fact that my entire bra back was sticking out.

Also. Don't get the satin* unless you are not a spaz. I am a spaz. It is the most incredibly snaggy fabric ever and just looking at it snagged it- I can definitely tell the seller was serious about only wearing it to a wedding once, because it was unsnagged until I got my callusy paws on it. Jersey would be a BIG improvement IMO.

It has, however, provided quite a bit of entertainment for my husband. He just about died laughing watching me watching- and cursing at- the (really rather hilarious) videos of the asian girl demonstrating the various ways to wrap the dress- she makes the most odd expressions, and that combined with my irritated flailing, and utter fail, really amused him
20.gif
Glad someone enjoyed it!

That being said, after I fiddled and fussed and bra-ed and camisoled, it is actually pretty, flattering, and comfortable- I will wear it sometimes undoubtedly, in the one of two possible ways. As long as I don't breathe on it wrong and snag it! The bias cut flared skirt is great, slinky and pretty, just the type I like, and the V neck is nice with proper containment under it. And the color is beautiful, sort of a greyed out dark violet.

*Is not remotely like satin- it is really like a really slinky/drapey spandex jerseyish material... kinda nightgowny/swimsuity, and- luckily- not nearly as unforgivingly shiny as satin is. And oddly not hemmed anywhere, just cut off blunt.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK: Pics or it didn''t happen! Not of your boobs hanging out, but of the dress on you! I am seriously considering getting the oneposted by the Etsy seller but am hesitant to do so without reviews from someone with experience wearing the dress. I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to fixing accessories: tried and failed to make buns with my hair, tie a scarf all pretty etc. So I''d like to make sure this dress is on my feasible-to-wear list!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ: Love that front tie dress! Wish I could pull it off, wouldve bought it in a heartbeat! Buying a dress is SO difficult for me. I am a different size on top and a different size below (damn those hips!). Blah!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 8:27:49 AM
Author: kama_s
AJ: Love that front tie dress! Wish I could pull it off, wouldve bought it in a heartbeat! Buying a dress is SO difficult for me. I am a different size on top and a different size below (damn those hips!). Blah!!

Kama,
why don''t you convo her? Many many etsy clothing sellers will customize their garments exactly to your given measurements, which is why I like them
1.gif

I didn''t get this one custom, because I sent her my measurements and she said I would be fine with the standard size.
I know what you mean with the up-top / down-below issue, don''t worry - I''m a girl with curves.

The girl said this dress is actually quite flattering to a larger bust, she knows as she made her MIL one - plus, the fabric has a lot of stretch / give.
TBH, I think the design with the kinda "bell" skirt would be a great as a hip skimmer/hider, kwim?...and as you can see from the pics, it looks very cute for someone with a smaller bust too..

If you like, I will re-post here when I receive it and give you my review
5.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK I've got a bit more to say about the wrap dress for anyone contemplating it.

1. I've gotten a bunch of compliments on it today at work- and I really do think it's lovely

2. but it is really only wearable in one way and I don't think it's just me or my D cup chest either.

I'm cool with the single configuration- it's pretty and flattering, and as I *desperately* need strappy but attractive dresses for work when its a zillion degrees in the building in teh summer, I'm happy to have another summer dress for work.

The only way I can get it to stay on is with the straps crossed in the back once, then pulled around front and crossed at the waist once and tied in the back.

It is very much like wrangling with a piece of that memory wire stuff, or a Transformer, with a sort of mind of its own. You try to put it on in a different way and *whoosh* it rearranges itself back the way it wants to be. Or, it just falls off. Like, if you try to make sleeves of any sort- the twisted over cap sleeves (which were SUPER cute for about 10 seconds!) or the sort of flutter sleeves if you pull the straps wide and try to pull them over your shoulders. Well, yes, it looks great in the mirror. Then, if you try to move AT ALL the sleeves just pop back up into straps like usual. (And I'm not talking about attempting jumping jacks or something- I mean, just like moving your arms at all does it.)

The non-crossed straps in back- where you just pull the straps straight back and then wind the rest of them around your waist- is the super disaster Insta Strip Mode. Lean over even the teensiest bit and the whole thing just falls off. Several other arrangements I tried resulted in the Insta Strip Mode being activated.

So yeah... I'm thinking it's not just me. It's possible, yes, but I don't think I'm *that* much of a failure at tying knots.

Also, I got my Newport News shipment of TONS of stuff today. This dress is amazing, super flattering, cut exactly right and comfy. And $25! I'm gonna live in it this summer for sure. And it is the opposite of lots of V necks- it is not as low cut as it looks in the pics online, it shows a very small amount of cleavage.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 6:12:22 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

Also, I got my Newport News shipment of TONS of stuff today. This dress is amazing, super flattering, cut exactly right and comfy. And $25! I''m gonna live in it this summer for sure. And it is the opposite of lots of V necks- it is not as low cut as it looks in the pics online, it shows a very small amount of cleavage.
Wow, that dress is so pretty! And a great price to boot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results