shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeffrey Hunt: Romancing the Stone

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
For years now I have looked at countless pictures online of numerous gemstones. Almost too many to count. Just about everyone here at Pricescope can relate and agree. Picture after picture, stone after stone. You start to notice who stands out from the pack. Gemstone photographers like Uli Zeisberg, Gary Braun, and a few others always seem to showcase and present their stones in photographs that make everyone else’s seem subpar. It takes the proper equipment, the right lighting, lots of practice, and patience to take even decent gem photographs. Something sets good gem photographs apart from great gem photographs. Is it an artistic twist? Is it a natural affinity for the medium?
In my opinion, I find Jeffrey Hunt's photographs to be about as good as it gets. I find it hard to see how it can get any better. I would like to think I have seen enough gems and photographs to have a good opinion on the matter.

With a background in theatre scenery and lighting design he uses those qualifications to his advantage when shooting gemstones as a medium. He once told me….
"I feel my stronger photos stand out because I approach the total composition, eye movement and the consideration of the elements and principles of design. I draw on my extensive design experience and my design style sometimes shows in the photos. It's what gives some of them that extra "something." I'm less of a technician and can't compete with those other photographers there - but I do feel that some of my work does a better job of portraying the romance!"

Portraying the romance is something we see lacking in this day and age when it comes to gemstones and displaying them, especially on the World Wide Web.

I want to show some of the pictures that I find unique and that stand out to me, that Jeffrey has done.

[please note: I have been admiring Jeffrey Hunt’s photos for a long time now and the other day I decided to do a thread here at Pricescope on them. I asked Jeffrey if it was okay for me to post his pictures and a little info about him and he graciously accepted. As I have only ever spoken with him a few times, this post is something I wanted to do myself to show his wonderful work in gemstone photography and the artistic nature of his photos. I was happy that he allowed me the permission to post them here for everyone to enjoy.]
[also note: The pictures cannot be truly appreciated in the 500 x 500 format I used. I believe they are viewed best in full file size which is not possible on Pricescope]

6.35ct Citrine
Darian Snyder Ribbon Design
Faceted by Jim Rentfrow

6.20ct Tanzanian Chrome Tourmaline
Jeff Graham Design
Faceted by David Dawson

54.45ct Oregon Sunstone with Schiller

Darian snyder citrine ribbon design 6.35ct cut by jim rentfrow.jpg

Tanzanian chrome tourm jeff graham faceted david dawson 6.20ct.jpg

oregon sunstone w schiller 54,45ct.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
6.0ct Welo Opal Heart
Mike Miller

8.5ct Tanzanaia Zircon
Design Jeffrey Hunt
Faceted by Jean-Noel Soni

6.0cts Madagascar Rhodolite Garnets
Design by Jeffrey Hunt

Mike miller welo opal heart 6.jpg

design jeff hunt 8.5ct tanzania zircon jean-noel soni.jpg

Madagascar rhodolite garnet 6cts. jean noel soni design by jeffrey hunt.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
5ct. Madagascar Garnet
Design John Bailey
Faceted by Elaine Songer

13.40ct Tanzania Scapolite
Design by Jeff Graham
Faceted by Matt Dunkle

Sri Lanka Zircon
"Halloween Theme"

mada garnet design john bailey cut elaine songer 5ct.jpg

scapolite tanzania 13.40ct by matt dunkle jeff graham.jpg

sri lanka zircon.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
34.50ct Pink Petrified Wood
Elaine Songer

5.45ct Tanzania Namanga Garnet
Steve Wallner of Westview Gems

2.62ct Shewa Ethiopia Opal
Design by Fred Van Sant
Faceted by Michiko Huynh

pink petrefied wood elaine songer 34.50ct.jpg

tanzania namanga garnet 5.45ct Steve Wallner of Westview Gems.jpg

2.62ct shewa ethiopia opal design fred van sant cut Michiko Huynh.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
8.0ct Electric Blue Topaz
Design by Jeff Graham

Elaine Songer stone for Robyn Hawk
"Opal Moon"

9.15ct Nigerian Amethyst
Design by Jeff Graham
Faceted by Jan Barglowski
"Optimus Prime"

8ct electric blue topaz jean noel soni cut jeff graham desdin.jpg

elaine songer for robyn hawk opal moon.jpg

jeff graham Jan Barglowski 9.15ct Nigerian amethyst.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
4.35ct Kenya Rhodolite Garnet
Design by John Bailey
Faceted by Steve Wallner

Sri Lanka Zircon

Sri Lanka Zircon
Liddicoat design by Jeffrey Hunt
Faceted by Jeffrey Hunt

kenya rhodolite cut steve wallner 4.35ct design john bailey.jpg

zircon sri lanka.jpg

Liddicoat Design by Jeffrey Hunt faceted.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Free form Opal
Mike Miller

5.25ct Sri Lanka Zircon
Design by Jeffrey Hunt
Faceted by Jeffrey Hunt
"King Stag"

Amethyst and Ametrine

Miller-Freeform-Opal-0067-wu2[1].jpg

King Stag sri lanka zircon 5.25ct faceted jeffrey design jeffrey.jpg

Amethyst-Ametrine-3A[1].jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
9.50ct Madagascar Garnet
Design by Jeff Graham

9.50cts mada garnet design jeff graham cut jean noel soni.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jason: I shouldn't interrupt but I can't hold back. His photos are truly amazing. I especially love the opal moon. They all conjure this moody other world...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
They truly are amazing! I like how he adds finesse and style to many of them. Very artistic!
I will add more when I get a chance! There are some others which I like very much that I will want to add.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They are wonderful -- make the stones jump right off the page. Cut is emphasized beautifully, and "mood" is exactly the right word.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Superb!

Does he have any examples of photographing gems that aren't precision cut? I know from photographing my own stones that the precision cuts are easier to make look great than your average native cut... would like to see a master's results!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1329688282|3129523 said:
34.50ct Pink Petrified Wood
Elaine Songer

I had no idea there was pink petrified wood!! I guess you learn something new all the time, even if you've been collecting for eons.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Incredible, thanks for sharing.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Wow, just gorgeous...thank you for sharing!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I just found this recent posting. I just love the use of light in the background(no photoshopping was used whatsoever except for dust spots)
8.60ct Nigerian Phenakite
Faceting Jean-Noel Soni

phenakite jean noel soni 8.60ct.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very entertaining! Seriously! :appl: :love:

I think the Oregon Sunstone is my fav.....

cheers--Sharon

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think Jeffrey takes a gorgeous photo, but would not use them to represent my work for sale. I do have some shots he's done that are great for magazine work and PR, but to me they don't look like the gem in hand so I use other photos for the catalogue. As art work, though, they are wonderful.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff is a great Artist, and the photos are wonderful.

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lisa brings up a good point. I was a professional photographer before I became a lapidary and I worry that sometimes my pictures (humble as they are compared to what Jeffrey can do) are getting too good; that the stone in real life doesn't look as striking as the picture. After the stone sells the pictures are all I have so I want them to be nice, but I don't like having to say something like 'the stone is a little darker in hand than the pictures show'. I think a lot of online sellers feel the same and don't use their best pictures in the listings. I think Lisa called them 'Glamour Shots' once and I have a folder full of them on my computer that never get posted online. Of course on the other end you have some online sellers who photoshop their stones beyond all recognition to get a sale...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous glamour shots; I'm sure these are really meant more to showcase the photographer's artistic talents in using the material (in this case, gemstones) at hand.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jeff's are glamour shots. I so want to send him a couple stones to sexy up.

Don't use glamour shots to sell stones or with your resume (unless you are a model or realtor*)

* - Why do realtors post full page ads that half the ad is their headshot? Make me think they really aren't selling real estate :roll: :bigsmile:

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone!

I'm quite amused and flattered by this entire thread. Thank you all for the wonderful comments! :)

Kindest Regards

Jeffrey Hunt

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
What you also must understand is many of the photos I chose also have normal shots accompying them. I picked these due to the artistic, unique, and beautiful nature of them. Many of these have your typical gem shots in the portfolio. I just picked the ones I find killer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results