shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White's new custom stone policy

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone else notice the new policy in the Gem Scoop? He'll only be accepting custom orders for stones over $500. His reasoning makes sense, but I'm sad because that pretty much assures my tourmaline asscher will be the only stone of his I get. I'm not a big player in the stone world. :(

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I saw it as well and think that from his point of view, it's a very good move. As you become more in demand, and more busy, you have to adjust your business tactics accordingly. It is a shame for those who might have smaller budgets though.

Am very, very anxiously awaiting a return email from him. Raced to nab one of the new stones - will see if I got lucky. ::)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1323537319|3078529 said:
I saw it as well and think that from his point of view, it's a very good move. As you become more in demand, and more busy, you have to adjust your business tactics accordingly. It is a shame for those who might have smaller budgets though.

Am very, very anxiously awaiting a return email from him. Raced to nab one of the new stones - will see if I got lucky. ::)

+1

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new policy is for the custom stones, but you still might be able to score one that he lists, which it sounds like he'll be trying to do more of. All hope is not lost! :)

I hope someone on PS gets that RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL pink asscher spinel. Way beyond any budget I'll have for one stone, but TO DIE FOR! :love: :love: :love: A number of new beauties, but that's my personal favourite.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I agree, NKOTB - that asscher is swoonworthy. :love: However, also out of my budget after my FIY purchase...

justginger

Ideal_Rock
YAAAAAYYY! :appl: :appl: :appl:

My email just came through (I've literally been waiting up for it, it's 2 am here in Perth!) and I nabbed the rose malaya garnet. I'm so excited, I nearly fell over when I saw it.

:love: Antique cushion PLUS that beautiful pink? :love: Yes, please!

tanzrose.jpg

That being said, this MUST be my last purchase of 2011. If I keep going at this rate, my 5 week European holiday is going to end up being a weekend at a Kuta backpackers. :lol:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Justginger, that was my other favourite! Please post lots of pics when you get it!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
congrats justginger, thaat stone is gorgeous!!
i did NOT get the mali garnet :angryfire:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1323540649|3078553 said:

My email just came through (I've literally been waiting up for it, it's 2 am here in Perth!) and I nabbed the rose malaya garnet. I'm so excited, I nearly fell over when I saw it.

tanzrose.jpg

That being said, this MUST be my last purchase of 2011. If I keep going at this rate, my 5 week European holiday is going to end up being a weekend at a Kuta backpackers. :lol:

There are strong color shifts on malayas to tan (as Jeff states in the listing), so it won't always look that color. Just so you know. I always feel like I have to warn people about malayas. I apologize. I wish Jeff would have posted a photo of the color shift, as he does with almost all of his other color shift gems.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tanzrose.jpg

oh my goodness - this was my favorite stone on the gemscoop! The cut and color are just gorgeous - how will you set it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure how I feel about Jeff's new policy, but I agree, it is a very good sign for him. I had my eye on the Mali garnet, the purple sapphire (and then I remembered although it looks exceedingly well cut that he didn't cut it), and the lavenderish/pinkish spinel. But you know, in the end, I didn't even bother, because I figured they would be gone already...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and congratulations, JG! Beautiful Malaya!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

tanzrose.jpg

Congrats!! I love that color too.. sadly it was way over my budget. glad you got it and can't wait to see what you do with it!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are certain cutters that can make coal look awesome, and Jeff is definitely one of them; it also seems to me that his level of polish is some of the finest.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm definitely expecting a shift - and if it's not to my liking, I'm more than happy with Jeff's return policy. Though he told me that it's a "killer Malaya" so think I'll like what I see. :naughty:

Someone got the stunning asscher. For the safety of my bank balance, that's a very good thing. :devil:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted the mint garnet, and was first in line for the sapphire. Unfortunately, I missed out on the garnet ('fess up, whoever it was), and then realized that as beautiful as the sapphire was, I really would rather put that money towards one of Jeff's custom cuts next year. I still have a hankering for one of his asschers...... :naughty:

Oh, meant to add that I think his new policy is perfectly reasonable. There's only so much time in the day, and a $300 stone takes as much time to cut as a $3000 stone. I totally get why he needed to make this decision. As I recall, Julia Kay Taylor had to do the same.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1323563447|3078818 said:
There are certain cutters that can make coal look awesome, and Jeff is definitely one of them; it also seems to me that his level of polish is some of the finest.

Couldn't have said that better myself.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1323567663|3078870 said:
I wanted the mint garnet, and was first in line for the sapphire. Unfortunately, I missed out on the garnet ('fess up, whoever it was), and then realized that as beautiful as the sapphire was, I really would rather put that money towards one of Jeff's custom cuts next year. I still have a hankering for one of his asschers...... :naughty:

Oh, meant to add that I think his new policy is perfectly reasonable. There's only so much time in the day, and a $300 stone takes as much time to cut as a $3000 stone. I totally get why he needed to make this decision. As I recall, Julia Kay Taylor had to do the same.
Yes, and in JKT's case, it has bitten her in the backside.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1323577313|3078989 said:
Aoife|1323567663|3078870 said:

Yes, and in JKT's case, it has bitten her in the backside.

In what way? And, do you think Jeff White is making a mistake? I personally don't see it, but I may just be out of the loop.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think Jeff would do fine with a $500 minimum, really. I'd love to see him cutting more sapphires and spinels. That pink asscher spinel today was incredible!!! Oh, I so wanted it! But I figured it was probably gone within 5 minutes of the email, so I didn't worry too much about trying! That is going to make one gorgeous ring, that's for sure!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, if I were to order something now, it would make sense to order a larger, more expensive, stone, so I am not complaining about the policy.

I opened the mail too late. Actually, just now. Everything is gone. Congratulations to all of you, I shall wait for the next Gem Scoop...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love the Sphene, I wonder who got it? Tossing up between the Magnolias or a new gem, the trees won.
I didn't even know Jeff does customs orders under $500, it's a reasonable policy for his demand.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1323567253|3078865 said:
Yes, I'm definitely expecting a shift - and if it's not to my liking, I'm more than happy with Jeff's return policy. Though he told me that it's a "killer Malaya" so think I'll like what I see. :naughty:

Someone got the stunning asscher. For the safety of my bank balance, that's a very good thing. :devil:

I'm glad you're expecting a strong colour shift. Like TL, I always feel the need to issue a colourbility warning! I too have a killer killer malaya and absolutely adore the rose pink colourway BUT I detest with a passion the tan/caramel colourway and because of that it remains in my safe looking lonely! The other thing to consider is if you mount it what metal colour to go for! I predominately wear white gold but that looked horrible with it so it was very much either yellow or rose gold. I think yellow would suit both colourways - not so sure about rose gold with the caramel shift.

Can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts. Please post piccies when you get it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have Jeff doing a custom aqua for me right now or else I would have been all over the spinel or really any of the pink/ lavendar stones. I agree that he is very in demand so I understand the $500 min, though his work is excellent he is definitely at the higher end of cutters.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I hope the new $500 min custom stone policy helps cut down on the waiting time for both custom orders and the Gem Scoops. :naughty:

justginger, I hope the color meets your expectations. The cut is fabulous and I found Jeff's descriptions and photos for color to be spot on.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My first thoughts were...well there goes my chance to own a Jeff White stone. $500 min is a bit steep, but that is just IMO obviously.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I understand JW's new policy, I am also sorry that those without a healthy budget will not be able to own one of his wonderfully cut gemstones unless able to snag a less expensive gemscoop offering. Congrats to those who were fast enough to get one of the gemscoop stones. The Tajik asscher spinel sure is lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results