shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White's EC Aquamarine and Morganite Traps Ring

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally got round to setting the 6.16ct EC Aquamarine that Jeff W cut for me back in 2016.

It was bought unseen, in that he mentioned the colour of the rough was pale blue with a hint of green and a very clean stone, and I said yes right away, as that's what I love in Aquamarines.

JW_Aquamarine_6.16ct_9.37x12.18mm.jpg

I knew it would be set as a 3-stone ring with step cut traps as seen in this inspiration ring design (I don't like knife edge shank):

vramjewelry_979054231100158097_1429986115.png

However, I did not fancy having step cut diamond traps as (a) it would cost a fortune (LBD step cut traps were not easy to find or affordable in those days) and (b) I have reservations that diamond traps might be too blingy for the Aquamarine.

Hence I asked Jeff to cut a pair of step cut traps in Morganite for me to go with the Aquamarine. Together, they cost more than the Aquamarine, however, they are worth it!

JW_Morganite_Traps.png

To me personally, they work well together (apologies for the finger prints on the stones).

20201201_092613.jpg

As it is a deep stone, I needed something in the gallery to improve the otherwise dull side view, as seen in this inspiration ring drawing but with a round diamond in the middle, as specified in my design specifications (I love the icy colours of the stones):

JW Aqua and Morganite Ring.PNG

This is the first CAD I received from the bench I use in China which I rejected as the shank was wrong, the gallery not as specified, and I felt the bottom of the shank was too thin at 1.3mm as I am heavy with my hands. In addition, the gallery for the Morganites were too exposed and bare:

QQ图片20220924104445 (1).png

I provided a rough drawing to show what I would like the side view of the ring to look to the bench, and requested for the bottom of the shank to increase from 1.3mm to 1.6mm, and for the shank to be 4mm at the top tapered to 3mm at the bottom:
JW Aqua and Morganite Ring Gallery DK 24Sep2022.png
This is the revised second CAD I received:
QQ图片20220927223405.png

I had reservations about the size of the round diamond being so small, however, my bench advised against a bigger stone as it would not look as good as the 1.5mm stones, and would have cost considerably more for better quality stones.

So I approved this CAD. However, within a couple of days, I had a change of heart and wanted to see a CAD with a flat court shank, which is flat on the outside, curved on the inside, similar to the shank of my second and final 1.19ct EC reset.

Luckily, only the cast had been made, and the bench was able to make another CAD for me with a flat court shank with no extra cost. Here is the revised CAD with the flat court shank which I believe looks nicer overall.

QQ图片20221009111558.png

It is now a waiting game for the ring to be made and shipped to me, along with other goodies, can't wait!

I shall post updates on this ring when I have them. Thanks for reading.

DK :kiss2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see the finished ring @dk168, I think it’s going to be beautiful, I love that sea foam colour of the aqua.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I also love this pastel color combo( and that's from someone who isn't normally a pastel fan). It's perfect for a bezel mount. I'm excited to see it.

Oooooh this is my very favorite color combo... you struck a nerve with this one! I've never seen morganite traps, BTW. :geek2: And I love that both stones are beryl (like a little family). I'm eagerly awaiting the end result!

Here is a 3-stone ring I have planned with similar colors, though not as soft and serene as yours. It's a baby pink tourm and paraibas (also keeping it in the family!). My black phone is reflecting in the stone, grr. But these tropical shades remind me so much of Miami (Vice?).
beachemoticon.gif

Resized_20210630_181722_9855828495499555.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The traps were commissioned and priced as such according to his policy; hence the two together cost more than the Aquamarine.

Good job I like my Aquamarines pale with a hint of green, as they are cheaper than Santa Monica variety.

DK :lol-2:

The traps were commissioned and priced as such according to his policy; hence the two together cost more than the Aquamarine.

Good job I like my Aquamarines pale with a hint of green, as they are cheaper than Santa Monica variety.

I've always fancied the seafoam colors, as Austina mentioned. It occurred to me that I have a necklace with aqua, morg, and diamond. I'll need to snap a pic!

I don't blame you one bit for paying a premium for the morg traps... they make the ring!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this combination of pale blue and pale pink, here is a pair of mis-matched pears in Aquamarine and Tourmaline I got from Brad/The Gem Trader waiting to be set into a bypass ring design:

1665353292924.png

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always fancied the seafoam colors, as Austina mentioned. It occurred to me that I have a necklace with aqua, morg, and diamond. I'll need to snap a pic!

I don't blame you one bit for paying a premium for the morg traps... they make the ring!!

Not sure if he has cut it or not, however, Jeff is cutting another Aqua for me, a big rough that he purchased from Tucson this year.

The colour does not appear to have any green in it, a pale blue, and I am likely to use the spare smaller pair of step cut white Topaz traps that will be freed up when I have Doug M's natural blue Ascher cut Topaz reset to make it lower.

DM Asscher NB Topaz Ring #2.JPG

DM Asscher NB Topaz Ring.JPG

This ring will be reset as (a) it is too high and (b) the gallery is too boring.

If the spare traps are too small, then I may use Moissy.

The colour does not appear to have any green in it, a pale blue, and I am likely to use the spare smaller pair of step cut white Topaz traps that will be freed up when I have Doug M's natural blue Ascher cut Topaz reset to make it lower.

When you say "natural blue" topaz, do you mean it has not been treated? Because they are super rare!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say "natural blue" topaz, do you mean it has not been treated? Because they are super rare!!

Yup, untreated.

Doug has a massive piece of rough and cut into a number of gems:

DM_NaturalBlueTopazGroupPic.jpg

Here is the link to the thread about this massive piece of rough and the cut gems family:

Yup, untreated.

Doug has a massive piece of rough and cut into a number of gems:

DM_NaturalBlueTopazGroupPic.jpg

Here is the link to the thread about this massive piece of rough and the cut gems family:

That is SO cool, dk!! I never really cared for blue topaz, as pretty as it is, because I didn't like the fact that it was irradiated/heated. As I'm sure you know, it is often said that the color does not exist in nature. Then, when I attended the GIA, I learned that, while very rare, topaz does exist naturally in blue. I love that you own one!!

P.S. And I may have to grab one, if still available!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Autumn in New England

Not one but 2 - I have one of the Asschers and also the large oval in the group pic. Very nice indeed.

The oval should be set soon, after I have reset the Asscher first.

DK ;)2

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for this one. I adore that seafoam / pink color combo and remembered these gems from years ago (that and your vivid mahenge spinel). Your CAD looks great and I can't wait to see the finished ring! :dance:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring arrived today, woo hoo, and it is as I had envisaged!

The subtle icy colour combination worked, and I love the no fuss side details of the gallery!

(Apologies for the finger print as it is a very clean Aquamarine!)

20221107_110327.jpg 20221107_110345.jpg

It does not make it into the CS under 2k thread, sorry!

DK :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks fabulous on you and I see you're not exactly going for petite either :P2

Enjoy!!!! Aquamarine is fairly robust right so you can wear this everywhere?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks fabulous on you and I see you're not exactly going for petite either :P2

Thank you!

It is definitely not small, and is a fabulous cocktail ring!

I doubt if I would wear it regularly though, as it is a tad large!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The subtle icy colour combination worked, and I love the no fuss side details of the gallery!

It looks lovely! I’m so glad to see you were finally able to set it. I love the pink & blue color combo. :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely! I’m so glad to see you were finally able to set it. I love the pink & blue color combo. :kiss2:

The colours are very subtle, icy with a hint of colour, with lots of big flashes thanks to his great cutting and being all step cuts.

DK :kiss2: :kiss2::kiss2:

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The colours are very subtle, icy with a hint of colour, with lots of big flashes thanks to his great cutting and being all step cuts.

DK :kiss2: :kiss2::kiss2:

Oh. My. Goodness!!!!!! I’m ded!!! I’m calling dibs times 1000!!! In love! Please post more pictures!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

Oh I love it!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So pretty-I love that color combo!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wore it around the house, and banged its side against the granite kitchen worktop once already as it sits so high up!

DK :roll2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results