shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White rubellite

wubu

Rough_Rock
Super excited about this big red rubellite that I got from Jeff White! Excellent cut no doubt. The color is predominantly red with flashes of magenta. It has been cloudy and rainy for days here so I haven't had a chance to take it outside. But I am confident that the stone will look great under the sun as well. Stats: 6.49ct, 12.55mn X 9.69mm. The way it looks makes me want to do a simple vintage setting, because the stone just looks to me like a beautiful lady from the old times. Thoughts?
IMG_20201024_141722.jpg
IMG_20201024_143151.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!!!!

Wow!!!! Amazing amazing color and cut!!!!

Just stunning. Please keep us updated on your setting!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love this that intense red. So beautiful

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely halo worthy!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s big, bold and beautiful! Love it. Pls post lots of pics when the sun comes out.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
God damnnnnn that looks great! What a color!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh baby that is just yummy! :kiss2:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful! And just my size LOL!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So pretty! Vintage milgrain halo for old world charm? :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning stone, thanks for sharing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

As for the setting, I would keep it simple and have trillion sides or 3-round stone triangle on each side, in diamonds.

Looking forward to the finished ring!

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please nag Jeff to put it on his gallery for sold gemstone as it is not there!

DK :lol-2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot damn, that is gorgeous! Not only is it huge, it has such rich, vibrant color. :kiss2:
How do you think you’ll set her?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Can’t wait to see it set.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Rubellites. Yours looks absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see it set x

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your nice comments! @Pennyc @icy_jade @JackTrick @GliderPoss @Ionysis @lmyracle

@mellowyellowgirl @prs @Burmesedaze @dk168 @elle_71125 I am going to use the following setting, in 18K white gold with yellow gold prongs. I think it will complement the stone well. I haven't tried anything halo yet so this is going to be my first halo ring. Excited!

1603842733822.png

I think your gorgeous rubellite might be much larger than the opening in your inspiration setting. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you'll definitely need to approve a CAD design to make sure the width of the halo is in the right proportion to the size of your stone.

wubu

Rough_Rock
I think your gorgeous rubellite might be much larger than the opening in your inspiration setting. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you'll definitely need to approve a CAD design to make sure the width of the halo is in the right proportion to the size of your stone.

Thank you for pointing this out, @prs . I have provided the setting vendor the measurement and they'll customize the setting to fit the stone. Is there anything else I am missing on? I am totally new to the gem world, so I may be making obvious mistakes...

BTW, the ring in your profile picture is stunning!!!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice color. Looks like old Nigerian find material from the late 90's.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for pointing this out, @prs . I have provided the setting vendor the measurement and they'll customize the setting to fit the stone. Is there anything else I am missing on? I am totally new to the gem world, so I may be making obvious mistakes...

BTW, the ring in your profile picture is stunning!!!

It's customary for PSers to look at the design of a setting and make any changes to that design before any actual work is done. It's much more difficult, if not impossible, to make any changes if you receive the set gem and then realize there are things about the setting design you don't like. Here are examples of how halo width can effect the look of a setting.

Halo Size Chart.png Halo Sizes.JPG

Also. have you told your jeweler if you want to set the stone N-S, or E-W?

Last edited:

wubu

Rough_Rock
It's customary for PSers to look at the design of a setting and make any changes to that design before any actual work is done. It's much more difficult, if not impossible, to make any changes if you receive the set gem and then realize there are things about the setting design you don't like. Here are examples of how halo width can effect the look of a setting.

Halo Size Chart.png Halo Sizes.JPG

Also. have you told your jeweler if you want to set the stone N-S, or E-W?

Hi @prs , this is super helpful! I just realized what you meant by proportion --- my big center stone will make the halo look funny because as I recall the accent diamonds are only 1.3mm wide. OK, I just reached out to the vendor to cancel my order because this is definitely not going to work.
Actually this makes me start rethinking about halo --- is it too dressy for a big stone like this? I am usually very casual with clothes, so maybe something simpler may be more suitable for daily wear?

BTW, could you please share the website that you use to see the halo proportions? Thank you very much! I appreciate your going out of your way to remind me of clear mistakes!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @prs , this is super helpful! I just realized what you meant by proportion --- my big center stone will make the halo look funny because as I recall the accent diamonds are only 1.3mm wide. OK, I just reached out to the vendor to cancel my order because this is definitely not going to work.
Actually this makes me start rethinking about halo --- is it too dressy for a big stone like this? I am usually very casual with clothes, so maybe something simpler may be more suitable for daily wear?

BTW, could you please share the website that you use to see the halo proportions? Thank you very much! I appreciate your going out of your way to remind me of clear mistakes!!

If you look at your inspiration photo you will see there is lots of shank showing on either side of the setting. You will also see the gemstone only takes up about half of the setting. So this setting was designed for a very small, square gem that was only about 1/4 the size of a finger. The purpose of that setting design was to make the gem look bigger and give more finger coverage.

If you look how your rectangular gem sits on your finger you will see the stone itself, if set N-S, it will take up about half your finger. The 8.18ct stone in my avatar measures 16.0x11.2x8.0 so there is still room for a halo around your stone but of an appropriate design. A pad of graph paper to sketch out possible designs will become your friend! A jeweler who can provide you with CADs (Computer Aided Drawings) of any proposed designs is a must, so you can make changes before any work on the setting is started. This is where your jewelry learning curve starts!!!! :lol-2:

Those halo diagrams were from previous threads here on PS. You can save these images to a file on your computer, so they are there for your future reference,

wubu

Rough_Rock
If you look at your inspiration photo you will see there is lots of shank showing on either side of the setting. You will also see the gemstone only takes up about half of the setting. So this setting was designed for a very small, square gem that was only about 1/4 the size of a finger. The purpose of that setting design was to make the gem look bigger and give more finger coverage.

If you look how your rectangular gem sits on your finger you will see the stone itself, if set N-S, it will take up about half your finger. The 8.18ct stone in my avatar measures 16.0x11.2x8.0 so there is still room for a halo around your stone but of an appropriate design. A pad of graph paper to sketch out possible designs will become your friend! A jeweler who can provide you with CADs (Computer Aided Drawings) of any proposed designs is a must, so you can make changes before any work on the setting is started. This is where your jewelry learning curve starts!!!! :lol-2:

Those halo diagrams were from previous threads here on PS. You can save these images to a file on your computer, so they are there for your future reference,

Thank you very much @prs !!! I am finding myself less and less obsessed with halo as I tried to sketch out halo options on paper. I am leaning toward simpler designs like this split shank trellis setting by Daniel M on Etsy:

I think it may be a good fit for my large fingers and the large center stone. I'll want it in 18K yellow gold with diamond accent stones. What do you think?

Again, thank you very much for helping me out! I definitely feel that I am learning a lot!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
What an incredible color and cut and I love the size. It's going to look amazing on your slender fingers. Congratulations, I can't wait to see what you pick out for it!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much @prs !!! I am finding myself less and less obsessed with halo as I tried to sketch out halo options on paper. I am leaning toward simpler designs like this split shank trellis setting by Daniel M on Etsy:

I think it may be a good fit for my large fingers and the large center stone. I'll want it in 18K yellow gold with diamond accent stones. What do you think?

Again, thank you very much for helping me out! I definitely feel that I am learning a lot!

I was ogling that ring. I think it is great for a big stone.

He had a pendant, might have to look at sold, that was a big stone in a 1.2mm halo. He said he could easily "ring" it.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Dan M Setting

I can't seem to figure out how to link listing so here is a screenshot

il_794xN.2592446376_47uf.jpg

wubu

Rough_Rock
Dan M Setting

I can't seem to figure out how to link listing so here is a screenshot

il_794xN.2592446376_47uf.jpg

Thank you, @CSpan !! It is a good idea to look through sold items to find inspiration! I've decided to go with the split shank trellis ring. Let's see how it turns out...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results