shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White large Emerald cut purple sapphire!!

Hi All,

I have now purchased about 6 purple sapphires and I just couldn’t find the color that just sang to me, I saw this rough on gemscoop and took a chance as I wasn’t 100% sure if it was the color, received today and it is THE color, what I consider royal purple, rich vivid color!!! Thoughts on a setting? I was thinking delicate halo, or three stone with half moon sides. She is 11.47x7.02 so elongated emerald cut, what I always wanted since seeing Beyoncé’s elongated emerald diamond, but I’m a sapphire girl!!!

Attachments

• 2D140764-11DD-4D2C-909F-0CD0B8A1192C.jpeg
    2D140764-11DD-4D2C-909F-0CD0B8A1192C.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 76
  • D29DA2F4-F527-4460-B9E4-6111B09C371F.jpeg
    D29DA2F4-F527-4460-B9E4-6111B09C371F.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 58F6D21F-5804-4ADE-B213-6420556C8D55.jpeg
    58F6D21F-5804-4ADE-B213-6420556C8D55.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 56
Also the packaging was so gorgeous, and she has a name, “the big purple”. I will take more pics soon. She does have what I think we call color zoning and some inclusions. She is from Umba Tanzania (I have been waiting for one from tanzania). Very excited about this beauty. I was afraid of the inclusions but I see the beauty in them b/c this color is a dream!!!! DFDD1DE0-6FD5-4314-89F8-EB4F85D43E37.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s freaking gorgeous! I’ve been looking for the perfect purple forever too...and the struggle is real! :eek-2: Jeff did an amazing job and that baby is huge!!!:love:

I did a really poor mock up but just to give you some ideas...

30C42053-0CA2-434F-9E9C-113612897242.jpeg

If it were me, I’d do both a delicate halo and side stones...but I’m just greedy like that. :mrgreen:

It’s freaking gorgeous! I’ve been looking for the perfect purple forever too...and the struggle is real! :eek-2: Jeff did an amazing job and that baby is huge!!!:love:

I did a really poor mock up but just to give you some ideas...

30C42053-0CA2-434F-9E9C-113612897242.jpeg

If it were me, I’d do both a delicate halo and side stones...but I’m just greedy like that. :mrgreen:

Thanks!!!Yes the struggle is very real, and expensive!!

I may just do the halo and two half moons, I was just afraid to take away from the stone, I really love her!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!!!Yes the struggle is very real, and expensive!!

I may just do the halo and two half moons, I was just afraid to take away from the stone, I really love her!!

I really don’t think that would take away from the sapphire. That pop of color is going to be the eye catching factor...trust me. Diamonds just make CS gems pop. It’s going to make one stunning ring.

ETA: I’d love to see some more pics. Hand shots maybe.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah - need to see this lovely in handshots!
What a gorgeous size, shape, color, everything!
Just curious- have you happened yet to see if has fluorescence?

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have now purchased about 6 purple sapphires and I just couldn’t find the color that just sang to me, I saw this rough on gemscoop and took a chance as I wasn’t 100% sure if it was the color, received today and it is THE color, what I consider royal purple, rich vivid color!!! Thoughts on a setting? I was thinking delicate halo, or three stone with half moon sides. She is 11.47x7.02 so elongated emerald cut, what I always wanted since seeing Beyoncé’s elongated emerald diamond, but I’m a sapphire girl!!!

What a gorgeous purple color! :kiss2: Enjoy designing a setting for it!!

Oh yeah - need to see this lovely in handshots!
What a gorgeous size, shape, color, everything!
Just curious- have you happened yet to see if has fluorescence?

Ok, I am sorry, I am not sure what fluorescence is, I think its a secondary color, if so it has pink fluorescence. It came kind of late and got dark fast so I was only able to get pics with bad bathroom lighting but it came out ok. Can you explain fluorescence if I'm off.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Take caution with the UV light tho!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT color, congrats!! I like the idea of setting it with side stones. The color will prevent the side stones from taking any attention away from the center stone.

Question, I'll take more pics so you guys can see, but this stone says eye clean but mine has these same "bubble" like things on it, not nearly as much but I see it. I do know Jeff said Umba sapphires are usually very heavily included, but this one is clean. What is this called? Both if these stones are heated.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whoa nelly! What an incredible sapphire, and BIG :shock: . Congratulations on a gorgeous stone. I probably don't have anything useful to add to your question about the bubble like things. I know that sometimes rather than bubbles, they can be little crystals that have grown inside the "mother" stone. It looks like yours is indeed super clean for an Umba sapphire (especially one so large and with such stunning color).

Whoa nelly! What an incredible sapphire, and BIG :shock: . Congratulations on a gorgeous stone. I probably don't have anything useful to add to your question about the bubble like things. I know that sometimes rather than bubbles, they can be little crystals that have grown inside the "mother" stone. It looks like yours is indeed super clean for an Umba sapphire (especially one so large and with such stunning color).

I think bubbles isn't the correct term but small crystals like you stated. I will be taking her to my appraiser next Monday and she will send her to GIA to be certified. I would rather AGL. Thanks for your response!

The thought was whenever I found my perfect purple was to go with victor canera, but found this designer and this is gorgeous! I am still thinking possibly a delicate halo, but the below is gorgeous but the designer said 8.7x5mm half moons needed so $$$$$

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah! Three stone with emerald cuts on either side.

Ok, so I went to get the sapphire appraised by my GIA gemologist at Gemworld who grades all my stones. She felt I do NOT need to send off to GIA, but can send to AGL due to the value of the stone, and for resale purposes (will not be reselling). Also just a plug for them; Gemworld is at the Tuscon show every year as they price gems for retailers, they do NOT buy or sell gems.

So she educated me a lot and provided the following information. On a scale of 1 to 6 of saturation my stone is a 5 which means it has a strong rich color, the highest is vivid at 6. Tone from 1 to 10 my stone is a 5 which is medium, she said 5 is preferred. She did say my stone is eye clean but moderately included. She also said GIA doesn't use the color pink but uses red. My stone has no red but has pink purple but GIA would say reddish purple. She says its bi-color strong violet and strong purple, with no evidence of heat treatment. Lastly she said the cut is very good, from a scale of Excellent (EX), Very Good (VG), Good (G), Fair (F) and Poor (P). All in all she stated this was the best cut, saturation, and tone I have brought to her, and I have brought 6 sapphire, and 3 spinels! I am excited about this stone and setting it. Thanks everyone for the kind words, and I will update this thread later with pics of the stone set!

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Do you agree with the "moderately included" clarity assessment in the appraisal here? The stone is the right size, but the Gemworld report makes the sapphire look like a totally dark stone, which doesn't resemble your pictures. :(2

Do you agree with the "moderately included" clarity assessment in the appraisal here? The stone is the right size, but the Gemworld report makes the sapphire look like a totally dark stone, which doesn't resemble your pictures. :(2

That pic is under the microscope, I think it is more slightly included, but I will be honest she is a very hard grader. Every diamond or sapphire I have brought gets a very hard grading so the grades she gave honestly mean the stone is really really good, Just like she said slightly bi-color which I found out is color zoning, I think it may be moderately bi-color but I'm no expert.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
she thought Jeff White’s cutting was “very good” not excellent?! Huh..... ok it’s a beautiful gem. Can’t wait to see it set!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be bias, however JW's cutting is top notch for all the stones he has cut for me (8 to date).

DK :))

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Love the color zoning if that what I see.

she thought Jeff White’s cutting was “very good” not excellent?! Huh..... ok it’s a beautiful gem. Can’t wait to see it set!

This gemologist is a VERY hard grader, she takes lots of pics and is meticulous. The pic on the appraisal is one of many but it’s a microscopic pic, which I thought was cool to show since it had all the inclusions you can NOT see with the naked eye. Im sending to AGL as well and will share.

I could be bias, however JW's cutting is top notch for all the stones he has cut for me (8 to date).

DK :))

I agree. These appraisals are opinion. She has however been in the business over 15 years and has seen thousands of sapphires. I am more than happy with Jeff’s cut and she did state it’s the best I brought and the best she has seen in a while!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Great stone! Can’t wait to see how you set it. Have you already decided on the setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results