shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White Ceylon Sapphire for engagement ring - advice?

keane333

Rough_Rock
I contacted Jeff White regarding a sapphire for an engagement ring. I am fairly new to this forum/gem stones, so I was hoping to get some of your opinions on the stone.

It is an oval from Sri Lanka, 4.04 carats, unheated, "some light silk (since it is unheated), but no cracks, feathers, or included crystals that are visible to the naked eye at all." The measurements are 9.72 × 7.23 × 6.60 mm.

From a color perspective, does this stone seem like it will be dark normal lighting conditions? Any other thoughts on the stone's quality? Thanks in advance!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks perfectly gorgeous to me, and Jeff White is well known here for his excellent work.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is to die for!!!! omg the colour!

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super beautiful!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff is on the recommended vendor list for good reason. I’ve never had one thing from him that wasn’t beautiful. This sapphire looks stunning both indoors and out! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a colour! This is a beautiful stone

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too me his studio shot with the printed white background is the most accurate. His photo under sunlight is sometimes misleading.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will look quite reliably like the first video in indoor conditions.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy crap!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Woah, top quality! Your sapphire is the one to beat! I'm in love with that color. :love::love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:How will you set this beauty. Any ideas yet?

keane333

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. Should I ask to see the certification before actually wiring the money?

Jeff said that "It will be a lab there in Sri Lanka. The labs he uses all employ GIA Graduate Gemologists though, so they know their stuff. We can always send to AGL in the US as well if you'd like after the stone arrives, for a second opinion"

I'm not sure what people typically do for the certification?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer AGL for my peace of mind.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can't say what's typical, but I wouldn't give money without seeing a report and verifying it. Just me. It's a gorgeous color though!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Color!!!! That’s gorgeous!

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
Jeff said that "It will be a lab there in Sri Lanka. The labs he uses all employ GIA Graduate Gemologists though, so they know their stuff. We can always send to AGL in the US as well if you'd like after the stone arrives, for a second opinion"
Does that mean he doesn't actually have the sapphire at hand? I wouldn't buy a gemstone that is not in the US but ordered from overseas on demand. I also have never paid for a certified gem without seeing the cert first. But maybe I misunderstand the situation because that doesn't sound like Jeff White to me?

keane333

Rough_Rock
Jeff told me that one of his suppliers had this stone and it would be non-refundable:
"With regard to non-refundable nature of this one - stones that are in our inventory currently would be refundable, but for stones that are purchased for specific customers from international suppliers, they are usually non-refundable."

I am supposed to wire the money to him prior to actually receiving the stone. He does not have the sapphire on hand, his supplier in Sri Lanka is shipping it to him.

He hasn't actually sent the certification to me, or told me which lab is certifying.

I have not purchased a gem before (online or otherwise), so I just want to make sure I am not taking out of the ordinary risks prior to wiring the money.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most people here will want to have a return window, such that they can recieve the stone and examine it in person before finalizing the sale.

There can be many different reasons for this. Sometimes they are worried that the stone will look a little different when it reaches them, because their home city isnt nearly as sunny and bright as the equitorial country where the video was made. Or they may be worried that the stone will change colour or look grey under their office lighting, or they may want to check with their jewler about whether it will be easy to set (i.e. have the jewler check the girdle thickness etc). So a lot of people here will want the sale to be contingent on a AGL report saying it is untreated, and a return window of at least a week or so.

This isnt a neccessity (I have bought plenty of stones knowing there was no practical way for me to return them). But it is often extremely desirable to have this flexability. You may wish to evaluate what your other options are as well.

keane333

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the replies. Has anyone heard of Emteem Gem Lab? That is the lab that Jeff's supplier used in Sri Lanka.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I could not purchase a gem of this expense without having a return policy in place and the opportunity to see the gem before completing the transaction.. I'd also condition verification from AGL that the Emteen lab information is correct. It may all be fine...........but what if the gem just doesn't match your expectation when you see it in person? I want to feel good about my purchases from beginning to end...... even if I have to return something after seeing it in person.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's what I will tell you; I think Jeff is an upstanding cutter, however, there's no way in hell I'd accept a sapphire expecially for the cost your going to probably pay without a return window and at least a 1st tier lab report. Its just not worth it to me.

However, I'm a stickler in certain areas that I have no problem walking away, and as Kenny always says "people vary".

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree with digdeep and Arcadian. I would never buy in this price range without a bullet proof return policy. May I ask where you are based? If in the US, there are many sellers offering blue sapphires in that size and quality, with a proper AGL and everything and with a good return policy.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
These exact reasons are part of why I had such a hard time. I even ordered 2 sapphires, on separate occasions, and they weren't the color I thought they would be when I had them in hand. So it was disappointing but thank goodness there was a great return policy. I echo the above sentiments, for as much as a non-heated sapphire costs, of that size, you should definitely have a good return policy if you don't like it. Keep looking -- there are others out there. It may take time and I know as much as anyone - you want the pretty-pretty right now -- but it's worth the wait for the right one, the right transaction, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results