shape
carat
color
clarity

Jedi spinel vs ruby who's the neonest of them all

E H

Rough_Rock

Look at this pinkish red burmese ruby dont u think it can rival the finest jedi spinel the Cr must be off the chart

So here's my personal take. Let's assume both materials are displaying strong fluorescence. In general, I find red spinel to be brighter, but ruby to be more saturated. Does that make sense? I think it's because ruby's tone tends to be deeper. And with red spinel, it's more common to find very vibrant stones with more of a medium tone. I'm not saying this is the case across the board, just generally speaking. Some red spinel will rival ruby, and some ruby will rival spinel. These stones can have such individual personalities, you know?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I debated this with an Asian vendor a while ago. She told me that spinel is far better than ruby at doing the red thing. I wholeheartedly disagreed - beautiful red spinel is more
Affordable and available than ruby. So the average spinel might be better than the average ruby. Also, at any (or almost) price point, a red spinel will be more attractive than a ruby of similar size. But in the top 0.5% - to me - ruby always wins, if what you want is an entrancing red you will never forget. As @Autumn in New England said, ruby can achieve a level of saturation that spinel cannot, and it is double refractive, which makes the perceived color dance between red, pink, and purple. The depth and complexity of the color is on another level.

That said, my best value for money red stone is a Burmese spinel, 1k for 1 carat

6114C2AC-B9A6-4217-B4AC-E06A16EDB79F.jpeg 57C8310D-EF2A-455B-91C0-010D175EECF0.jpeg

But my favorite red is a ruby. Same size, 10x the price

ED27ABFF-7ADE-4A8B-A379-9048D2FD2951.jpeg
6EF144CA-E404-46A7-B278-8B5D35FFAB9F.jpeg 871DEF95-1566-4F7B-9695-C7AA7A4401D7.jpeg

I debated this with an Asian vendor a while ago. She told me that spinel is far better than ruby at doing the red thing. I wholeheartedly disagreed - beautiful red spinel is more
Affordable and available than ruby. So the average spinel might be better than the average ruby. Also, at any (or almost) price point, a red spinel will be more attractive than a ruby of similar size. But in the top 0.5% - to me - ruby always wins, if what you want is an entrancing red you will never forget. As @Autumn in New England said, ruby can achieve a level of saturation that spinel cannot, and it is double refractive, which makes the perceived color dance between red, pink, and purple. The depth and complexity of the color is on another level.

That said, my best value for money red stone is a Burmese spinel, 1k for 1 carat

6114C2AC-B9A6-4217-B4AC-E06A16EDB79F.jpeg 57C8310D-EF2A-455B-91C0-010D175EECF0.jpeg

But my favorite red is a ruby. Same size, 10x the price

ED27ABFF-7ADE-4A8B-A379-9048D2FD2951.jpeg
6EF144CA-E404-46A7-B278-8B5D35FFAB9F.jpeg 871DEF95-1566-4F7B-9695-C7AA7A4401D7.jpeg

100.png

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with Autumn and VividRed. Although I'm still more of a novice compared to others on here, I've observed that high quality spinels generally tend to be bright and medium toned. I have yet to see a top quality ruby in person but I can believe they would have more depth of color when compared with spinels.

Another excuse to share my reddish pink spinel from Namya, lol sorry!
Screenshot_20221120-173210_Gallery.jpg
20221031_122940.jpg
20221031_122913.jpg
(Purple sapphire ring is now in hands of another lovely pser =)2)

E H

Rough_Rock
Interesting views definitely agree on the price.

One thing that i might add is spinel tendency to shift color and losing color saturation under yellow and some other light. So, spinel will be a less preferable stone to be wore in venue with certain yellowish lighting. Even the best jedi i ve ever seen still shift more than ruby.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

One thing that i might add is spinel tendency to shift color and losing color saturation under yellow and some other light. So, spinel will be a less preferable stone to be wore in venue with certain yellowish lighting. Even the best jedi i ve ever seen still shift more than ruby.

Indeed, spinel is not a friend of incandescent light, it turns orange. Ruby, on the other hand, loves it. I do not know why, I suppose it has to do with how light scatters across the two different crystal lattices.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with Autumn and VividRed. Although I'm still more of a novice compared to others on here, I've observed that high quality spinels generally tend to be bright and medium toned. I have yet to see a top quality ruby in person but I can believe they would have more depth of color when compared with spinels.

20221031_122940.jpg
20221031_122913.jpg

Sorry not sorry as the kids say!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

20221031_122940.jpg
20221031_122913.jpg

Wowza!

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock

Indeed, spinel is not a friend of incandescent light, it turns orange. Ruby, on the other hand, loves it. I do not know why, I suppose it has to do with how light scatters across the two different crystal lattices.

Here's a picture of my stone next to an Edison vintage light bulb which I think is the most yellow looking light out there. The picture isn't too accurate though, I see more of a salmony but vibrant color in person. 20221120_231639.jpg
In regular or typical incandescent lighting it does get a slightly warmer hue compared to daylight etc. but the difference isn't that drastic. I also have a hot pink mansin spinel that in incandescent lighting keeps mostly the same body color but gives orange flashes.

I think it possibly relates to the undertone of the spinel, I'm assuming a jedi with a more orange undertone will look more orange in incandescent lighting than one with pink undertone

*Edited to add, bedroom incandescent lighting* I'm sure a top ruby will have a deeper tone and color in this kind of lighting, but I don't think this color is unattractive by any means
20221121_091729.jpg

Last edited:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread, @CBianco!
I have collected both ruby and spinel.
At one point, I was briefly bored with spinel because it looked too ‘direct” and uncomplicated. I find Ruby more fascinating because it seems to have depth, as both @VividRed and @Autumn in New England have pointed out. Like them, I enjoy the deeper saturation, the glow, the pleochroism and the silk. I would compare them to wines of different ages or regions, or to scents - one lighter and fresher and the other more complex, with a lingering finish.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a picture of my stone next to an Edison vintage light bulb which I think is the most yellow looking light out there. The picture isn't too accurate though, I see more of a salmony but vibrant color in person. 20221120_231639.jpg
In regular or typical incandescent lighting it does get a slightly warmer hue compared to daylight etc. but the difference isn't that drastic. I also have a hot pink mansin spinel that in incandescent lighting keeps mostly the same body color but gives orange flashes.

I think it possibly relates to the undertone of the spinel, I'm assuming a jedi with a more orange undertone will look more orange in incandescent lighting than one with pink undertone

*Edited to add, bedroom incandescent lighting* I'm sure a top ruby will have a deeper tone and color in this kind of lighting, but I don't think this color is unattractive by any means
20221121_091729.jpg

It’s holding its color very well for a spinel, very very nice piece you have there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results