shape
carat
color
clarity

JC millennium or something more standard?

firebunny

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My partner and I have been looking for a ring for a few months now. I am in Australia and a jeweller I went into a while ago is now closing down. There was a beautiful 0.36 ct jc millennium solitaire in a handmade cathedral, 18k rose gold setting for AUD $3300, USD $2497 (on sale). It is a g, vs. I don't believe the jc millennium cut is GIA or AGL certified, but I was told there is a certificate of some kind. My hesitation is due to how high it sits off my finger and the size is smaller than ideal.

Prior to seeing this ring on sale I have been frequenting Pricescope and learning all I can. I believe my preference is for an ideal cut 60/60 diamond (I like brilliance over fire) in a six claw, low set Tiffany style solitaire, 18k rose gold. I was also hoping for a diamond a bit bigger in size, though my ring size is a 4.75 so probably .5-.6 carat

I guess I'm wondering if, for a similar price or a little more, I can get my ideal ring? And if I could get some more guidance on what kind of stats I should be looking at for a nice 60/60 diamond?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a half carat stone, I would go with a traditional ideal cut stone that maybe has a table more in the 57 range over a 60-60. Ideal cuts are totally bright. You aren't sacrificing brightness for fire because fire is rarely seen unless you are in the sun or spotlighting.

It is pretty hard to know the value of the diamond you saw due to it not being GIA graded. But an AGS Ideal cut diamond .36 G VS1 will be about $850 so the rest would be the setting. I would much rather go larger for the diamond and spend less on the setting.

Here's and example of a .5 G VS2:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3520080.htm

firebunny

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your response and suggestion diamondseeker. I did some searching on this jc millennium cut on Pricescope and it seems it is not ideal cut but it has an interesting 88 facets and is certified by somewhere in Antwerp where it is cut. I do like how it is a bit different, but it seems there is a fair bit of premium for this cut.

I appreciate what you're saying about the super ideal cuts to be as brilliant, but to be honest I don't love the look of arrows.. Is that terrible lol. Maybe this is due to my lack of exposure to diamonds in real life!

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
firebunny said:
Thank you for your response and suggestion diamondseeker. I did some searching on this jc millennium cut on Pricescope and it seems it is not ideal cut but it has an interesting 88 facets and is certified by somewhere in Antwerp where it is cut. I do like how it is a bit different, but it seems there is a fair bit of premium for this cut.

I appreciate what you're saying about the super ideal cuts to be as brilliant, but to be honest I don't love the look of arrows.. Is that terrible lol. Maybe this is due to my lack of exposure to diamonds in real life!
Hi there

Arrows has nothing to with a stone being ideal or 60/60. A well cut stone will have arrows - it merely means that the light is being reflected from where it should and obstructed where it should be. It's an indication that the stones crown and pavillion angles are right.

In real life - the arrows are not black - and that too if you can actually see them - and most people can't especially with stones in smaller sizes. The arrows reflect what's around them. They are black in pictures because they are reflecting whats in front of them - the black camera lens.

No matter what flavor of stone you like - Ideal or 60-60 - don't think of arrows as anything other than the sign of a well cut stone. The stones without arrows - greyed out arrows in macro images - would always be coupled with under the table light leakage - which means less brightness even for a 60-60 style stone.

On number of facets - they aren't a sign of a brighter or a more fiery diamond - it only means that it has more facets.

Cheers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results