carat
color
clarity

JB Star - Any insight on this brand?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,
I love JB Star, especially their colored gemstone rings. Their pieces are bold which is what I like. However, it has been very difficult to find retailers carrying this brand. I went to the JB Star website and looked up retailers and contacted a few. They have only a piece or two (mainly engagement rings) at the store but said they could order pieces. The JB Star website still shows many beautiful colored gemstone rings though (they do not sell to the public).

Do any of you, especially those in the trade, have any insight to JB Star? Are they going out of business? Getting more exclusive/custom only? I would appreciate any thoughts on this vendor.

Thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard of the brand. The best way to get a gemstone ring is to buy a loose gemstone to be sure of the quality and then you order the setting to fit it. Then you can have one of those jewelers order the setting from JB Star for you. That is what most people here do for any brand of setting. You can get help on finding gemstones on the Colored Stones part of this forum. Many of the gemstone rings on the JB Star site would be extremely expensive. You need to decide on a budget and then find a stone leaving $4-5k+ for a setting. I also think you could get a setting custom made in the style of the J B Star rings easily. Check out the sites of Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch for starters, and there are others, too.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1C0EE659-11F1-4F39-9BE6-1250EC060761.png Thanks so much for your response. I bought a loose sapphire which I then I had put into a JB Star setting. I love their settings and to me, nothing comes close. I was hoping to build a collection of JB Star pieces.

But I am perplexed why JB Star is now so hard to find and was wondering if they are going out or business or something. If yes, then it’s not such a good idea to buy another JB Star. But I must admit, I am obsessed with their designs and love almost all their pieces.

Here is the setting I like. It is the emerald ring in the photo. I actually purchased a Colombian emerald recently (I posted a photo in the emerald thread), so I was hoping to make another JB Star ring but I am not so sure now if they are going to go out of business soon.

Do you think Victor Canera could make that setting? I realIze the setting is a bit in your face/gaudy but that’s what I love about JB Star.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love their settings. I haven’t tried to find them for a number of years, since I was looking for a new setting but they seemed well made to me at the time. A lot of their pieces are big and pave intense. You don’t see as much of that type of setting anymore, the style has become more dainty in recent years. JB Star of a few years ago was definitely statement piece styles. Maybe that is why they are not carried as much anymore. They often don’t look that way in pictures but I remember trying them on and thinking. ‘Whoa, that is a lot of ring’.
I wouldn’t buy one from a photo for that reason. A jeweler could probably order a sample of a ring you liked from them. Definitely try on first with a JB Star and make sure you like it on your hand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, so glad you chose your own stone! Since you love JB Star, all you have to do is ask one of the jewelers that carries their line to get a price quote for that specific setting and give your stone dimensions and ring size. I have no idea how much their markup is, so it may or may not be advantageous to have a similar ring made. If they were going out of business, they wouldn't take your order. So if you get a quote, I wouldn't worry about that. That type of setting is expensive so most jewelers don't stock a lot of samples.

My ring does not have as much pave as that particular ring, but Caysie van Bebber of CVB Inspired Design made this custom ring for me and I think you can see that the workmanship is top notch. She is excellent at design and this ring has antique elements which she excels in. Wouldn't hurt to get a quote from her, too.

CVB.ECsapphire.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
E28BD90A-8C85-4491-88E3-E760B0312FDB.jpeg C21D92D4-79D0-4494-9C79-2E6ABBD68FA5.jpeg 96B0D3C4-D838-4D95-B522-A2E8B6C008D3.jpeg B82FC047-88A4-438B-9AD1-01EB565AFBFD.jpeg
Ah, so glad you chose your own stone! Since you love JB Star, all you have to do is ask one of the jewelers that carries their line to get a price quote for that specific setting and give your stone dimensions and ring size. I have no idea how much their markup is, so it may or may not be advantageous to have a similar ring made. If they were going out of business, they wouldn't take your order. So if you get a quote, I wouldn't worry about that. That type of setting is expensive so most jewelers don't stock a lot of samples.

My ring does not have as much pave as that particular ring, but Caysie van Bebber of CVB Inspired Design made this custom ring for me and I think you can see that the workmanship is top notch. She is excellent at design and this ring has antique elements which she excels in. Wouldn't hurt to get a quote from her, too.

CVB.ECsapphire.jpg

Your ring is gorgeous! Thanks for your insight. I think you are right about jewelers not stocking JB Star. When I set my sapphire, it was during a JB Star trunk show, so I think they falsely set my expectation I would see JB Star pieces all the time. I am going to call about ordering that setting. And yes, you are correct. Their prices are high. I have asked myself if I really need a JB Star or if I could have a similar ring made. I did a custom piece once with a Burnese Ruby and it was a disaster,but I did not go to a branded custom designer. I will look into CVB, thanks for the suggestion and your ring looks more in line with the settings I like cvs. Victor Canera who I went to his website. For fun, here is my JB Star ring. Thank you again.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love their settings. I haven’t tried to find them for a number of years, since I was looking for a new setting but they seemed well made to me at the time. A lot of their pieces are big and pave intense. You don’t see as much of that type of setting anymore, the style has become more dainty in recent years. JB Star of a few years ago was definitely statement piece styles. Maybe that is why they are not carried as much anymore. They often don’t look that way in pictures but I remember trying them on and thinking. ‘Whoa, that is a lot of ring’.
I wouldn’t buy one from a photo for that reason. A jeweler could probably order a sample of a ring you liked from them. Definitely try on first with a JB Star and make sure you like it on your hand.

I think you are right! The big gaudy look is not so popular now as much as a cleaner, dainty look. Hmmm... now you have me thinking if I should do something different. Like something more classic, you know, big center stone with side diamonds. But sheesh, I do love JB Star. I think I need to browse more brands. Thank you! I am new to pricescope and you and others have been so helpful!

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

CVB.ECsapphire.jpg

But the way, for my emerald, the dealer suggested a bezel to protect the emerald. I dismissed that idea as I think bezels make the ring look flat and I prefer a higher setting look. But your ring looks great,and the stone does not look flat/low set to me, so now I am rethinking bezels. Thanks for sharing the photos. You have a gorgeous ring and setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Your sapphire ring is beautiful, too! I have a couple more substantial rings, too, from Michael Beaudry back when he was very popular. I think the JB Star ring is gorgeous, but it is a more dressy ring, so it depends on whether you want a special occasion ring or a ring that can be worn with casual dress. I do think since emeralds are not as hard/durable as sapphires and rubies, a bezel is a good idea, although halos provide a fair amount of protection, too.

I think around here, antique style rings have been extremely popular for awhile, so you'll see more of that around here. I have tons of pictures of settings saved. I'll post you a few emerald (or emerald shape) rings that I have saved while you are thinking about what to do! Interesting that all but one diamond ring are set in bezels.

gorgeousringSNQ.jpg

EChaloshank.jpg ECperidot.jpg
ECgreenberyl1.jpg
aquamarine_V2_1024x1024.jpg
asschergirl4.jpg
CVBartdecolover1.jpg

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Your sapphire ring is beautiful, too! I have a couple more substantial rings, too, from Michael Beaudry back when he was very popular. I think the JB Star ring is gorgeous, but it is a more dressy ring, so it depends on whether you want a special occasion ring or a ring that can be worn with casual dress. I do think since emeralds are not as hard/durable as sapphires and rubies, a bezel is a good idea, although halos provide a fair amount of protection, too.

I think around here, antique style rings have been extremely popular for awhile, so you'll see more of that around here. I have tons of pictures of settings saved. I'll post you a few emerald (or emerald shape) rings that I have saved while you are thinking about what to do! Interesting that all but one diamond ring are set in bezels.

gorgeousringSNQ.jpg

EChaloshank.jpg ECperidot.jpg
ECgreenberyl1.jpg
aquamarine_V2_1024x1024.jpg
asschergirl4.jpg
CVBartdecolover1.jpg

Oh wow... when I purchased my JB Star mounting for my sapphire, I was debating between them and a Michael Beaudry mounting! I love his pieces too.

The first emerald ring in your photo is gorgeous. I like that a lot and it’s in a YG bezel which in my mind, I was going to do YG prongs to highlight the emerald. My emerald is 10.5mm x 10mm, so it’s almost a square and that setting would look nice and still “bold” (e.g. gaudy ).

I wear my rings everyday and all my jewelry is everyday wear (even my pearl strands). I would never use them enough if I saved them for a special occasion, so what the heck. . The downside is I beat the crap out of my jewelry. If you look closely at my sapphire, it has nicks on the girdle and the platinum is all beat up. But I can truly say my rings are well loved and have character! I figure as much as jewelry costs, I’m getting a good cost-per-wear value!

I really love that first emerald ring. Now I am re-thinking if I should go for a different look.

Thanks for sharing these photos!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome! I adore that first ring! I still hope I might make it one of these days! My lavender-blue sapphire above had an antique Tiffany ring for inspiration, and I just went in that direction instead of the top picture. Caysie does use french cuts like that top setting, and she has them custom cut to fit. So I do think she'd be the right person to make that ring. Just so you know, it can take several weeks, because the custom cut stones will mean extra time.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto, I love your sapphire ring! It is one of my favorite Styles of JB Star. I saved a picture of a ring that exact style for years! Have you looked at Jack Kelege settings? You might like his look as well. He has a couple halo settings that he lines the basket with pave’. They are pricey but it really adds something special to the setting and the look.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@luv2sparkle Thanks for that suggestion... I love this forum! And I think I’m getting the hang of responding without having to quote the whole text you posted.

Thanks for the Jack Kelege suggestion. Some of his pieces are bold like JB Star which I love. His price point is actually a bit less than JB Star so that’s good too.

I saw the halos with the paves and like them a lot. Well, now I think I need to do more thinking on the setting.

By the way, my ring was not a custom build. I saw the semi-mount at a Trunk Show and asked if it would work with my sapphire and sure enough, they built a head to fit the sapphire and poof, the ring was created. If you have a stone, you could get the same semi-mount and I am sure your stone would work, it was super easy. I bet you will get hooked on JB Star too!

Thank you again for your input!

Last edited:

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My Avatar is a JB Star. People in the jewelry world that I have taken the ring into absolutely gush over the craftsmanship and quality. Even though I have tons of insurance on my ring I am afraid to wear it because the emerald is more exposed than I would like. I have broken a diamond in the past. I thought about resetting but there is so much value in the current setting it didn't make sense for me to break it up. I have sent her off to a auction house and will be making the decision this week as to what to do for sure. I hope she will get as much attention as she deserves from her next owner, whoever that will be. Here she is - ugh, will miss her.

thumbnail_IMG_1416.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3616.jpg

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
My Avatar is a JB Star. People in the jewelry world that I have taken the ring into absolutely gush over the craftsmanship and quality. Even though I have tons of insurance on my ring I am afraid to wear it because the emerald is more exposed than I would like. I have broken a diamond in the past. I thought about resetting but there is so much value in the current setting it didn't make sense for me to break it up. I have sent her off to a auction house and will be making the decision this week as to what to do for sure. I hope she will get as much attention as she deserves from her next owner, whoever that will be. Here she is - ugh, will miss her.

thumbnail_IMG_1416.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3616.jpg

:kiss2: Such a pretty emerald and ring! Could you share more details of the emerald?!

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you! The most beautiful emerald I have ever seen - super clear except for a small black dot I call her beauty mark - here are the specs on mine - Octagonal Step Cut Transparent Intense Green Natural Emerald from Zambia F1 (Minor Clarity Enhanced) 3.88 carats by weight 11.59x9.15x5.35. Flanking the sides are two trapezoid diamonds VS2 G-H color .90 each. The mounting also features princess cut diamonds channel set down the band all VS2 and G-H color. Total diamond weight 2.95 carats in total with Emerald 6.83 carats.

Gemturn

Rough_Rock
Trade
As
Hi Everyone,
I love JB Star, especially their colored gemstone rings. Their pieces are bold which is what I like. However, it has been very difficult to find retailers carrying this brand. I went to the JB Star website and looked up retailers and contacted a few. They have only a piece or two (mainly engagement rings) at the store but said they could order pieces. The JB Star website still shows many beautiful colored gemstone rings though (they do not sell to the public).

Do any of you, especially those in the trade, have any insight to JB Star? Are they going out of business? Getting more exclusive/custom only? I would appreciate any thoughts on this vendor.

Thanks.

As an appraiser I really am disappointed in JB star. Their prices are really high for retailers, I tried calling to get a replacement value on a 70k+ ring at a store I do appraisals for (I am actually an INDEPENDANT appraiser) and was treated extremely poorly because I wasn’t buying anything. The ring if not branded, same quality would have been 40% less. It was very pretty but I just find their poor service and pricing ridiculous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results