shape
carat
color
clarity

Jared: He went to Jared but was told take it elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
So I had to post this message as I felt it was of great importance to let other consumers know of my poor experience.

So I was in debate of who to have set my stone into the Tacori setting I purchased. I looked for advice from previous pricescope threads because I am not too familiar with the jewelers in the area besides chains. Well after a long thought out process of who I could trust I gave into Jared because they are the only ones in the area who sell Tacori rings.

I take it in and verify that if anything happens to the stone while in their hands it would be covered because I read the previous thread in which someone had their stone chipped. So the clerk verifies it will be covered but at the bottom of the slip it asks for a stated value of the merchandise. I told the clerk I paid $5665 for the stone and $2840 for the setting but my concern arose because it says if the items are lost or damaged Jared will replace it will items of similiar quality up to the stated value. I told her that due to them having to replace the stone the stated value should be slightly higher because a stone that a 2/10ths of a carat smaller and a lower clarity, Peerless diamond sells for $7200 in their store and mine is of similar quality. She goes back to the manager and shows her the stone and she wants to put its covered as a SI1 at $5800. Once again I said but that is not what my stone is and went and showed her my certification and all documentation I received from GOG. She went and showed her manager and she was told we will only cover it as she had previously stated.

I finally asked to speak with the manager to get a clearer understanding. She comes out of the back room and the first thing she says to me is "I''ll talk to you but I''m not going to tell you anything than the last two times". I was immediately shocked. She then continued to say "I won''t sign off on anything more because I can replace you stone from an inventory for $5800". I told her I understand that but your slip says that it will only cover up to the stated value and unfortunately your AGS Ideals sell for quite a bit more because when I first started looking I had brought in another stone from GOG to compare to yours and your sales associate admitted I got a great deal and recommended keeping mine" so my concern is that it may not be able to be replaced because I accepted a lower stated value and your retail is much higher. She responded with well YOUR STONE ISN''T A PEERLESS DIAMOND AND YOU DIDN''T BUY YOUR STUFF FROM US, SO IF YOU DON''T LIKE IT YOU CAN TAKE IT ELSEWHERE". I responded "Wow, you are really going to treat a customer that way". She goes "Yeah, Wow". I once again said "Wow" and she mimicked me". I walked out and as I did said "I don''t think you would have ever talked to me that way had I been by one of these customers and pointed to those by the case. I walked out the first doors then came back in and said " I want to post this experience on the forum I visit let me get a card with your name". She responded "you need to leave" and went and got the security guard. I told her that I have no problem leaving but I would simply like a card with her name because obviously if she felt that she treated me in an appropriate manner she would have no worries. Instead she ignored me and sent the guard.

The guard was very nice as I explained that I was going to abide by their orders but just would like a business card. He went over to the register and presented me with a card for the GM of the store but he too failed to release the assistant managers name. Well I guess that the assistant manager didnt''t like that the guard and I were having a pleasant conversation and sent over another clerk to tell him "He''s got to Go". I told him I understand he''s got a job and they are breathing down his neck so I shook his hand thanked him and walked out.

The GM doesn''t return until tomorrow but does anybody think I''m crazy and mishandled the situation. I never cussed or was demeaning to her but was treated like crap.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are crazy for going to Jared''s in the first place, but not for making sure your stone would be covered...their customer service is pretty awful at a lot of locations. I would write a letter to the manager and then take your business elsewhere.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To me, it sounds like you handled the situation with grace and aplomb: the AM was ridiculously out of line.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let me see if I have this right. You bought the diamond somewhere else and the setting somewhere else and you walk into Jared and want them to set the diamond and take full responsibility (or maybe even more than you paid elsewhere) if something happens to the stone during the setting process. I''m surprised they even talked to you in the first place. There''s very little profit in that deal for them, but lots of risk.

So yes, I think you overreacted. Could they have been more tactful? Yes. Could you have been more tactful? Yes. What you should do is have the stone set by either the place that sold you the setting or GOG from whom you bought the diamond.

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
Rainwood, I very heartily disagree. Many jewelers set stones that they did not sell in settings they did not sell. Of COURSE it is their responsibility to ensure that THEY do not damage the stone while it is in there care. The person at Jared''s acknowledged that her stone was a better deal when she was there previously so why should she pay more for lesser quality just so they will set the stone and make a profit?

I would personally write a letter to there management and never set foot in their store again. Did you try a local shop? They tend to be much nicer sine their reputation depends on that.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t care where you bought your stone or setting... Manners are manners, and she clearly did not show that she possessed any. I would definitely call and let her supervisor know just how she handles customers. It doesn''t matter that they weren''t making much of a profit off of you... You do have a mouth, and i''m sure you know other people! Word of mouth is key for business.

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
Rainwood:

I called local jewelers and asked if they cover error of their jewelers in the event something would happen to my diamond. Some said they would, some said they wouldn't.

Jared wanted me to sign an agreement saying my diamond would be replaced with an SI1 up to $5800. Why would I sign an agreement for replacement with a lessser quality stone. That would be plan idiotic. And we all no for a fact that a 1ct G VS2 AGS Ideal does not go for that price at Jared. As I stated previously the diamond they had in store was a .98 G SI1 AGS Ideal that was priced at $7200. It was funny too that the original saleswoman recognized me and even said "Ohh No, your diamond is slightly larger and better clarity than ours, let me talk to her" (referring to the AM), but was also shot down.

In the end I went to an independent jeweler in my area at which their benchman has over 30 years experience. It would me $70 more than Jared but the experience was worth every penny. He fully explained the entire process.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 8:27:18 PM
Author: rainwood
Let me see if I have this right. You bought the diamond somewhere else and the setting somewhere else and you walk into Jared and want them to set the diamond and take full responsibility (or maybe even more than you paid elsewhere) if something happens to the stone during the setting process. I''m surprised they even talked to you in the first place. There''s very little profit in that deal for them, but lots of risk.

So yes, I think you overreacted. Could they have been more tactful? Yes. Could you have been more tactful? Yes. What you should do is have the stone set by either the place that sold you the setting or GOG from whom you bought the diamond.

ditto rainwood.

there are many jewelers, some vendors on this forum who won''t set stones that were not purchased from them. too much liability if something goes wrong. I do think jared''s could have been nicer and explained that to you though.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 8:40:35 PM
Author: *Danielle*
Rainwood, I very heartily disagree. Many jewelers set stones that they did not sell in settings they did not sell. Of COURSE it is their responsibility to ensure that THEY do not damage the stone while it is in there care. The person at Jared''s acknowledged that her stone was a better deal when she was there previously so why should she pay more for lesser quality just so they will set the stone and make a profit?

I would personally write a letter to there management and never set foot in their store again. Did you try a local shop? They tend to be much nicer sine their reputation depends on that.

Just FYI, many jewelers will NOT take responsibility for damaging the stone while setting. I think it''s more common for jewelers not to take the liability if they didn''t sell the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All they had to say was "We are so sorry, but it is against our policies to set a stone we did not sell in a setting we did not sell." And you could have said, "Thanks anyway." That was terrible customer service, but as others have said, you should have a stone set by either the diamond vendor or the jeweler who sells the setting. And in the case of the latter, I''d have insurance on the stone myself.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 10:13:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
All they had to say was ''We are so sorry, but it is against our policies to set a stone we did not sell in a setting we did not sell.'' And you could have said, ''Thanks anyway.'' That was terrible customer service, but as others have said, you should have a stone set by either the diamond vendor or the jeweler who sells the setting. And in the case of the latter, I''d have insurance on the stone myself.
ditto. Is there a reason why you don''t have GOG set it? this would be the best course of action for you imo.
I do agree that she was terrible rude, and I would want her boss to know - she shouldn''t be able to get away with treating people like that, regardless of their policies.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Obviously the AM’s demeanor was absurd but there are a few general concepts here that are worth noting:

First, most jewelers will not agree to set a stone that they didn’t sell into a mounting that they didn’t sell precisely because of the liability issues that you are concerned about. It’s a bit like taking your own food into a restaurant and asking them to cook it up for you. They could do it, and there probably are some out there that even would, but it’s not the usual business model.

Secondly, the declared value thing is in place at most jewelry stores. This has to do with their own insurance while your things are in their possession. Obviously their insurance company isn’t going to be willing to commit to the consumers opinion of what their property is ‘worth’ because so many people have such an inflated opinion of what they have and the sales associate isn’t doing an appraisal at take in. They usually aren’t even doing a stone identification or metal testing and will describe the ring as something like a ‘yellow colored ring with a 6.5mm round white stone’ with whatever value you want to declare. They rarely protest unless what you state is way out of line, in which case they’ll simply decline the job or insist on an appraisal. Most people find this process a bit disconcerting if they read the form at all but it makes a certain amount of sense. The sales associate isn’t an expert, they aren’t taking the time to do the job properly even if they are. What they are producing is a receipt that they are in possession of your property, not a statement of any of it’s qualities or it’s value. It’s important for their insurer to understand if you think it’s worth $1,000 or $50,000 but this is not the same as agreeing with you.

The guard’s job probably isn’t in jeopardy despite the threat from the AM and the AM’s probably is. There were lots of witnesses on the staff, there’s surely a video record and ANY incident that includes asking the guard to eject a customer is going to get reviewed by the management.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 10:13:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
All they had to say was ''We are so sorry, but it is against our policies to set a stone we did not sell in a setting we did not sell.'' And you could have said, ''Thanks anyway.'' That was terrible customer service, but as others have said, you should have a stone set by either the diamond vendor or the jeweler who sells the setting. And in the case of the latter, I''d have insurance on the stone myself.
I agree manners are manners

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
KIS,

If you went along with their coverage constraint and signed their form, what was your cost going to be for their work?

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
I didn't have the stone set by GOG because the setting came from Mulloy's in California. Shipping and insurance to California or New York would have cost almost as much as the service alone. I didn't realize when all of it came into hand how worried I would be about getting the stone set but I was. In the end I returned to an independent jeweler who I had met with about a custom setting prior to me purchasing the Tacori piece. I was treated so kindly, unlike an experience at a mall shop. I intend to do a quick write up just to put their name out there since not many jewelers from Jacksonville, Florida seem to be on this site.

$59 which I agree is fairly cheap for the risk being taken but I figured with Jared being as large as it is its all about quantity of jewelry serviced.

I completely understand turning down a customer from the beginning but it was the manner in which I was told they would do the work but then they wanted to say they will only insure the stone with a replacement of a SI1 at $5800. All certification was presented to them and the diamond is inscribed so there is no discrepancies. That's like insuring a Ford Explorer but your insurance company giving you a Ford Escape as a replacement when someone hits you.

I just felt like they were playing the degrade the customer's diamond game because it's not from us. They did the same thing when I took my first diamond in from GOG to compare to their Peerless Branded AGS Ideals. One of the quote on quote "managers" they called over to sell me after the first saleclerk couldn't came over and looked at my diamond and said "well these are AGS Ideal stones which represent less than 5% of the stones in the world which will outshine your diamond". My response was "This is an AGS Ideal too".

I didn't have time to call today but intend to tomorrow morning.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like quite the frustrating experience. Just remember the old line "you get what you pay for." Sometimes the cheapest route isn''t the most prudent route.
28.gif

Either way, I agree that manners are manners. There was no reason for the SA or the manager to act like that. They should have simply just said no and be done with it.

I hope you''re able to get things taken care of to your satisfaction!
1.gif

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jared in my experiences always appraises the ring and stones at less then what it is worth for repairs. So the clerk and manager were most likely following store policy. I just don't understand why you got so upset about it. Why did you walk back in? I think you were out of line to let this escalate in to something that could have gotten you arrested. Seems like you were angry because you did not get your way and you certainly did not show any courtesy at all to the clerk when you would not accept her answer. It is only a ring. I am not trying to be harsh, but if I had acted that way I would be ashamed of myself.

Lisa

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock

KeepingItSecret - Had I known you were in Jacksonville, I would''ve told you not to go into the Jared''s by town center. I had a horrible experience when I was shopping for engagement rings. I was basically blown off because I wasn''t intending on buying anything.

Either way, Beard''s Jewelry by Hendricks Ave has awesome prices comparable to online vendors.

There is one on Atlantic Beach that also has excellent prices, I just can''t think of the name.

Good luck!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don''t think that the AM treated you nice from the start. I mean, to come out of the back and have the first words out of her mouth be "I''ll talk to you but I''m not going to tell you anything than the last two times" ...that is just starting out on the wrong foot and it is rude! I give you credit for stincking around as long as you did, I would have walked out with that!

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
Just figured I post the GM''s response to my phone call. I told him what happened and how I asked for clarification but was unpleased with how the AM presented herself to me. Making the point that if she is the one who is appointed to lead the team of salespeople its a bad representation. For some reason he thought I was lecturing him on how to run a business though and cut me off. His response was that he has worked with her for 4 years now and he trusts her. I told him I completely understand and respect any jewelers decision to not set a stone purchased from them due to the risk and return factor but they should have simply said no in the first place. Instead I came in and they downplay the diamond and when I ask for clarification from a manager instead of a salesclerk I get approached like that. In closing he basically thanked me for my call and said he would talk with her. It probably won''t ever happen because it was over something that didn''t cost them a lot of money.

I felt I was completely respectful the entire conversation and even gave credit to those sales associate which provided good customer service upon my visits.

*** Forgot to note too how when I went there and was waiting for help I was speaking to another one of their staff members and told him how I purchased my diamond online and his response was "There are two things I would never buy online a diamond and a car".

Hey, it''s all over. A lesson learned and another experience added to life.

Thanks to respectable jewelers such as GOG, Mulloy''s in California, and Allen''s Jewelers in Jacksonville, Florida.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I think this just goes to show how different each store in a large chain is. I have had very good service from my local Jared''s stores (there are 3 in my area). They have set many stones for me, albeit in settings I bought from them. They never gave me any crap about the stones coming from Ebay, nor did they ever have me sign any releases. Maybe that is because they were colored stones, I don''t know.

It sucks that the AM decided to cop an attitude with you; it was totally unnecessary. If they had set the diamond, everything probably would have been OK, and they would have gained a customer. Instead, they made a huge deal out of nothing. I also think that the salesperson who said they would never buy a diamond online is just reflecting the prevailing sentiment of retail jewelry store workers who don''t know about Pricescope vendors. Let''s face it, many online diamond dealers'' wares just aren''t that great.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/12/2008 8:40:35 PM
Author: *Danielle*

Actually I have to disagree with you. If you bring to me a ring that I did not sell and a stone that I did not sell and ask me to set it I will, but I not take financial responsibility for any possible damage to the stone, nor will most other jewelers. We are not going to assume the risk of thousands of dollars for a setting job.

While I think the person from Jarad''s mishandled the treatment of her former client, I am amazed that they were willing to assume any liability whatsoever for the diamond.

When I have a client who wants to be covered for such an event I require that they purchase an appraisal from me and then get them covered with Jewelers Mutual Insurance which then takes the risk from my shoulders and puts it on Jewelers Mutuals shoulders. It is nearly impossible for jewelers to get insurance protecting them from breakage while working on other people''s jewelry and it is very unreasonable for the public to assume that we will do so with diamonds and rings purchased elsewhere. It is imperative that the person who saved the money on the ring and diamond also spend some of that savings on proper insurance, otherwise they will NOT be protected in the unlikely event that something bad happens.

Wink

P.S. I still think the person at Jarads was WAY off base in the way she treated KeepItSecret, but that is an entirely different discussion.

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
NeverEndingUpgrade:

The funny thing is you are exactly right. After reading all the negatives about the "please don''t go to Jared" threads, I had intended to post that some people are too negative about the place. Well boy was I wrong, these people are right on.

I will always go out of my way to praise those for a job well done.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a shame that you were treated so poorly. I have always been treated very well at my local Jared. ANyway, I am happy to hear that you found a jeweler that you are happy and comfortable with!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 9:14:36 PM
Author: KeepItSecret
NeverEndingUpgrade:

The funny thing is you are exactly right. After reading all the negatives about the ''please don''t go to Jared'' threads, I had intended to post that some people are too negative about the place. Well boy was I wrong, these people are right on.

I will always go out of my way to praise those for a job well done.
And this is the most important part! Once you find the jewelers you can work with, keep ''em!! I have had many jewelry disasters, some very costly. I had a local "designer" (and I use that word VERY loosely!) scoff at my Jubilee diamond that I got from GOG because he did not know what it was, asked me if I paid a very lowball dollar amount for it, then told me that the GCAL cert it had was not respected and that I should send it to the GIA for recerting. This diamond was from GoodOldGold! Needless to say, I would never use a "designer" who was so stupid.

When I encounter a jeweler like that, I just move along to the next one. By trial and error, I have found a great diamond vendor and several jewelry shops that I like and trust. Hopefully you have too! BTW, my Jubilee is now set into a Tacori wedding set!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute. You got thrown out of a jewelry store? I''m make you a deal. I''ll never set foot in a Jared all my live long days. Thanks for telling us. How absurd.
29.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To me this spells an opportunity here for enterprising and skilled bench people (and/or their employers). I think we would agree that ANY setting job contains an insurance component, no matter who sold the stone, sometimes it’s just buried in the cost of the stone, the mounting or both. It’s a matter of setting the price. If the issue is the liability, jewelers should charge for assuming that risk. As Wink points out, they even have a basis for setting the price. JM will do it for the cost of an appraisal plus roughly 1% of the declared value.

The jeweler is in a better position than anyone else to assess the potential risks associated with a particular job. They get to accept or decline the work after they can see the details, they get to set the price and they get the opportunity to pass the risk off on JM (or someone else) if they don’t want to assume it themselves. This isn’t a no-lose deal but it’s pretty darned close.

I’m getting increasingly frustrated when I hear this complaint coming from consumers because it’s so easily solved and the people who can solve it, meaning the stores with benches and folks who can reasonably assess the risks, stand to be huge beneficiaries and they still refuse to do it. The problem almost never seems to be with the price. The above job was quoted at $59 but I suspect that it would have been just fine at $159 if they had just behaved better on the sales floor.

Let’s see, they were willing to include $5800 worth of free ‘insurance’ in the $59 fee and what the customer wanted was $7200. That’s a desire for $1400 more in risk assumption that killed the deal. The job and the risks of damage remain the same either way. How about charging $100 instead of $59 and taking in the job with a smile? That’s $41 for some ‘insurance’ that the JM formula would value at $14. Add the cost of an appraisal or at least some form of evaluation and documentation, which they probably want and need anyway. Call it an 'upsell' of another $75 or so where you're already going to do at least some of the work. So now we're talking about a $175 high profit sale and it build a customer relationship for the future. Where’s the downside here? You lose a diamond sale? (Hint: You already lost this one, now you're working towards the NEXT diamond sale) She might decline because she thinks the price is too high and the guy down the street who won't take the liability is cheaper? How in the world is that worse than having the guard throw her out of the store?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 8:28:54 AM
Author: denverappraiser

I’m getting increasingly frustrated when I hear this complaint coming from consumers because it’s so easily solved and the people who can solve it, meaning the stores with benches and folks who can reasonably assess the risks, stand to be huge beneficiaries and they still refuse to do it. The problem almost never seems to be with the price. The above job was quoted at $59 but I suspect that it would have been just fine at $159 if they had just behaved better on the sales floor.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
BINGO! But let''s please remember that not all jewelers are good business people!

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
Denver Appraiser.... That was a great last post.

You are exactly right when you say that I would have been more than willing to pay a nominal fee to have my diamond insured up to $7200. I went from possibly paying $59 at Jared to accepting $135 at an independent jeweler with years of experience. We all want to be protected against loss and are willing to pay for it in certain situations.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
I wonder how customers would react to be given 2 prices... one for the jeweler to assume all liability in setting, and one for the customer to assume liability. Let's take for example a $10,000 diamond and $3,000 ring with a somewhat simple 4-prong setting. Let's say the jeweler charged $500 to set with them assuming all liability, or $100 to set the diamond with no liability at all. Would this be a preferred way of service, to let the customer decide?

So far I haven't had anyone come to my store and bring a diamond and a ring and ask me to set them, usually they buy one or the other and I just assume liability. But if someone did, I'd probably have to disclose to them there is no liability on our part, and recommend they get a Jeweler's Mutual or other policy so they'd be covered for damage... or I suppose I could just charge them much more but then they probably wouldn't be too happy.

I would think having a third party insurance policy would probably be the best way to go anyhow, since the customer would be at the mercy of the jeweler to decide what is a fair replacement value, what is normal wear and tear should the diamond fall out 3 months later, etc. It's probably just much simpler to ask customers in these situations to supply their own insurance policy which covers this type of loss. I'd rather just concentrate on being a good jeweler, rather then an insurance provider :)

PS - I'm just curious, for the jeweler who set it for $135 ... would he assume liability for it JUST during setting, or also say a week or a month or a year later should the diamond fall out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results