shape
carat
color
clarity

JANNPAUL IS GROWING ITS PROPRIETARY DIAMOMDS

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
I heard a rumor that JannPaul was growing its own diamonds. I asked my JP SA about this and was surprised and honored when Paul himself answered. Here is what he told me:

Paul here, yes we've got our own lab, the process is patented, but we have yet to officially announce a full launch. we are currently in collab with gcal8x for the white series lab growns and it'll be probably a collaboration PR launch as it'll be a gcal8x premium cert, we/they havent decided on it's name. the reason for the different classification is because all the white series diamonds surpass their metrics on the 8x, so they need to create a whole new 8x type cert so there is no confusion to the normal fancy shape cuts.

with regards to our lab grown diamonds yup!

the growth process is 2 methods, creating a true type iia hthp by gcal's and ags standards. (not igi's iia standards). blue nuance or anything else "unnatural" like grey hue and or unnatural looking inclusions is entirely removed. the growth process is nothing secret to the industry but the recipe is.

2nd process is using microwave plasma cvd in combination with hpht - the growth process here and recipe is both a secret because the recipe is within the grown process and patented. a true type iia without any off hue (commonly brown) nor striation can be created. using mpcvd + hpht isn't anything new, but during the growth process, temperation gas amount levels, starting seed quality, no stoppage to remove carbon substrates etc all are just some factors within.

we've already been selling them via word of mouth just that we'd like to wait for gcal 8x to finalize everything to officially launch them.

in a nutshell, yes i can confirm this is the pinnacle of what every lab grower is trying to achieve. research has been 4 years long.

i've just finished the recipe to creating true blue's as well with no grey or green undertones, the colored diamonds are actually the most difficult. true yellows are easy, and currently, i'm in the midst of pinks. which is every grower's nightmare. orangey pink, brownish pink, is all over the market. i'm close to creating a true pink. it's much more complex than the other colors as the recipe requires quite a few steps, and each step has no error for miscalculation. i've already managed to produce them quite consistently, (by disrupting and shifting the crystal lattice and shifting the nitrogen to create NV centres), but theres maybe 50 percent rejection in terms of the consistency to finalize.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
High QC and QA = always a step in the right direction for the industry, as a whole.

Here are images that JP sent me a while back when I was undergoing discussions about their LGDs that show CVD with stria and CVD that's "clean":

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-18 at 10_53_37 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-18 at 10_53_38 AM.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here's the text of the email that Chloe at JP sent me along with the picture above...it's a lengthy read!

We carry Lab Grown white Series Decagons in both CVD & HPHT.

Generally, both CVD and HPHT growth methods have their advantages and disadvantages. But the problem in both methods arises more with the lab growers themselves, rather than how it is grown.

This is because there are many shortcuts growers can do to either cut the costs in growing a lab grown, or speed the growth process up to produce more quantity.
Also, it is important to note that off hue colors (eg. brown, gray, blue), will not be indicated on the diamond's certificate report (but we do avoid those ourselves).

This will be a long but interesting read. I'm sorry for the lengthy reply, but I think it's important to share the technical details with alittle more depth, for you to have a better idea :)

CVD (Chemical Vapour Deposit)
Common problems associated with CVDs
1. Stria
2. Brown hue
3. Gray hue

Majority of CVDs in the market have these issues; brown or gray hue, or stria which looks like internal graining or multiple scratchy lines in the diamond.
When you see a CVD with stria in-person, it can look blurry and dirty, like you can never get it cleaned. It is most obvious under polarized lights or direct light environments such as LED, halogen or sunlight. So what this means is that Stria would directly impact on the fire and scintillation of your diamond, or rather hinder the sparkles.

There are several things that can impact on the quality of CVDs, that can cause it to have brown or gray off hues or stria issues.
1. The quality of seeds used in the growing process.
- Low quality seeds cost less. Also a grower can try to cut cost by re-using the seeds for a 2nd or 3rd growth. This would result in Stria lines in the diamond.
2. When the CVD is being grown, it requires hydrocarbon to be added into the chamber.
- The timing of this is important. If the hydocarbon is added too quickly, it causes gray or brown hues.
3. The quality of the hydrocarbon
- Growers can cut costs by using lower quality hydrocarbon, which affects the clarity of the diamond, in particular, black inclusions
4. The continuous running of the machine without interruption
- The reactors requires alot of electricity.. even more than those crypto mining machines. And it requires a constant and long duration of power without interruption, for up to months. When a machine is interrupted, it requires to stop and restart. It's common to have a CVD 1ct to have the machine start and stop many times during its growth, when the machine is running too hot or have not enough power. The 2 countries that have the most CVD growers are China and India. And they're known to have electricity interruptions. When a diamond experiences many start stop growth, it causes stria to form in the diamond, which directly impacts its sparkle.
5. Growers can speed up the growth process by adding catalysts into the reactor. This would allow them to grow more CVDs at faster paces, in larger quantities, and give them more profits. Although these catalysts can make the diamond grow faster, it causes stria and brownish hue in the diamond.
7. Chamber contamination
- When growers try to experiment with different formulas and test various catalysts, it contaminates the chamber, affecting future production.

Generally, all the points above are ways that allow the growers to cut costs and shortcuts to speed up the diamond growth by up to 4-6 times. However, it degrades the quality of the diamond.
Majority of CVD diamonds have a distinct brownish hue and require post-growth treatment (HPHT) to remove the brownish hue. This is also known as post annealing / refinement. Different refiners result in different success rates.
Most post-treated CVDs in the market still suffer from brownish hue or stria, due to poor growth and post refinement steps. Whether it is due to the lack of knowledge or cheaper production methods, most consumers are still unaware of this.
Hence, in essence, all CVD diamonds would require a post HPHT treatment, for it to be ''white'' or colorless.

HPHT (High Pressure High Temperature)
Common problems associated with HPHT
1. Unnatural metallic appearance
2. Unnatural Blue hue
3. Gray hue
4. Phosphorescence

Majority of HPHTs in the market tend to have an unnatural metallic appearance, which is often associated with artificial blue and gray hues. This gives the diamond an unnatural appearance with an off hue color. In addition, phosphorescence causes a diamond to have a blueish or orangey glow under UV light (sunlight), which can last for a few seconds to several minutes even after its taken away from UV light. This effect is not shown on the diamond certificate (phosphorescence is not related to fluorescence). A diamond can neglible fluorescence but have phosphorescence.

Below are several things that can impact the quality of a HPHT diamond.
1. When growers try to save money and not prepare the growing discs properly (causing gaps around the seeds), it results in nitrogen forming in the chamber. To compensate for the higher nitrogen levels, growers would inject boron. However, too much boron would cause unnatural blue hues and phosphorescence.
2. When boron levels are too high, growers would use irradiation to reduce its boron level. However, this results in gray hue in the diamond
3. To speed up the growing process, growers would add titanium or aluminum as a catalyst. This caused a metallic appearance in the diamond.
4. Chamber contamination
- When growers try to experiment with different formulas and test various catalysts, it contaminates the chamber, affecting future production.

Due to the time spent in these failed refinement processes (as time is money for growers), it will still be sold into the market.
Growers use these methods above to cut cost and/or produce more diamonds at a shorter duration, at the expense of sacrificing on the quality of the diamond.

Generally, HPHT diamonds are ''as grown'' and do not require post-treatments.

Lab Grown Diamond: ''As Grown'' versus ''Post-GrowthTreatment''. Does it matter?
''As Grown'' diamonds are lab created diamonds that have no post-growth treatment or color enhancement that was performed on them. Commonly, HPHT diamonds are ''as grown'' diamonds as they require no post-grown treatments.
However, not all HPHT diamonds are Type 2a quality and majority of them exhibit an unnatural blueish or metallic hue, depending on how its grown.

Post-Growth Treatment are lab created diamonds that undergo further refinements to enhance the color of the diamond. This is a permanent process and does not deteriorate over time. CVD diamonds require post-growth treatment to remove its brownish hue during its growing process. Majority of CVD diamonds are Type 2a quality and HPHT post-growth treated.

Diamond labs would reveal on the certificate if a diamond is as-grown, by stating that there is ''no indication of post-growth treatment''. If post-growth treatment is detected, they would note that the diamond may have been enhanced. However, labs would not identify the type of post-growth treatment as it is a time consuming process. In addition, as technology improves, it gets increasingly challenging for labs to identify possible newer methods of treatment.

Which is better?
Before going into the debate if ''as grown'' or ''post-growth treated'' is better, it's important to understand more about the process and be aware of agenda marketing.
We find that people who market ''as growns'', usually only sell HPHT diamonds. The common statement is that, ''as grown'' diamonds is a purer product that doesn't require enhancements. Some might say that any form of treatment is frown upon as it artificially enhances the diamond or it complicates the process. The main argument is that HPHT is a cleaner, purer and straightforward process, requiring no further treatment to enhance the diamond.

Vendors that sell CVD diamonds would argue that a lab grown diamond is already a manufactured product, and a lab grown diamond is an artificial product in the first place. Post-growth treatment is just another stage in the manufacturing process and it doesn't matter how many stages are required to get to the end result. Treatment does not affect the performance of the diamond but only improves the appearance of it. In addition, post-growth treatments on lab growns would not affect its value, unlike earth mined diamonds. All CVD diamonds would have an obvious brownish hue when grown, and require HPHT post-growth treatment to remove these hues to attain a D-F color grading.

Hence, in a nutshell, HPHT diamonds are usually ''as grown'' and CVD diamonds are ''post-growth treated'', and depending on which the vendor sells, they would tend to market for it.

Our Opinion
Lab grown diamonds are traded differently compared to natural earth mined diamonds. Any treatments on natural diamonds is usually undesirable, as it greatly impacts the intrinsic and emotional value of the stone. However, when it comes to lab growns, the diamond is artificially created. Hence, any treatment will not have any impact on its value. Both CVD and HPHT growth processes have inherent issues. However, when grown correctly, both diamonds can achieve the highest make and purest type 2a quality.

A ''post-growth treatment'' is an additional step in the refinement in creating a lab grown diamond. However, do note that not all growth methods and post-growth treatments are the same. Some are superior or inferior.
We believe that what's most important is for the lab grown diamond to have the highest quality make and chemically the purest (type 2a), with no unnatural off hue colors, stria or birefringence issues. Although this is difficult to achieve in both growth processes, it is possible, and we ensure that both our CVD and HPHT lab grown diamonds meet our demand criterias.

Once again, sorry for the lengthy email. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Cheers,
Chloe

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! Thanks for sharing.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating reads! I love seeing the industry get better and better.

Does anyone know what Paul means by GCAL and AGS standards of Type IIa as opposed to IGI standards?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know what Paul means by GCAL and AGS standards of Type IIa as opposed to IGI standards?

Not sure, because GCAL seems to do the exact same thing that IGI does:

If colorless grade (D-E-F) HPHT, diamond type listed is generic Type II.
...if blue nuance is present, then no notation of hue.

if not colorless grade (G or lower) HPHT, diamond type listed is also generic Type II.
...if blue nuance is present, then there may be a notation about the blue hue.

EXAMPLES:

Colorless with blue nuance (not notated):

Near colorless with blue nuance (is notated):

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
Here's the text of the email that Chloe at JP sent me along with the picture above...it's a lengthy read!

Chloe's LGD treatise is consistent with JP's dedication and commitment to diamond education for its clients. Thanks for sharing this @DejaWiz.

Platinumplus

Rough_Rock
The “more electricity than crypto-mining” is my only real hang-up with lab diamonds at this point. I know Diamond Foundry uses emission-free hydropower, but their VRAI product isn’t aiming at the super-ideal consumer. Won’t someone please create the super-ideal, zero-emissions lab diamond of my dreams? At a reasonable price? (Someday!!!)

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
The “more electricity than crypto-mining” is my only real hang-up with lab diamonds at this point. I know Diamond Foundry uses emission-free hydropower, but their VRAI product isn’t aiming at the super-ideal consumer. Won’t someone please create the super-ideal, zero-emissions lab diamond of my dreams? At a reasonable price? (Someday!!!)

My understanding is some newer labs are using solar panels and a microgrid to produce the electricity to make the MMD. For the same train of thinking that someone may want a conflict free diamond today... they could may want a clean-energy lab diamond tomorrow.

I guess ultimately lab diamonds will still have the same issues as the natural diamonds where buyers won't be able to trace the origin of the uncut stone to a clean-energy lab.

I don't think Brian Gavin distinguishes where he's getting his Brian Gavin Premium Lab stones from... so they are probably dirty-coal-fired ones today.

Platinumplus

Rough_Rock
How do we get the sun-grown or river-grown rough into the hands of a serious cutter? Sure, it’s a niche product, but I can’t be the only one! @Rhino, make this happen!

P

Petalouda

Has anyone been able to get in contact with them? I sent an email a few days ago and no response. Then I asked a question in an Instagram message and the only response I got was a heart emoji. I’m really interested in their emerald cuts but am second guessing if communication is going to be an issue.

Andy Tan

Rough_Rock
" OMG finally!!! A JANNPAUL thread for their labs, I was about to make one but i didn't even know where to start with so much to be said. can verify everything @DRSAMURAI said, i was recently in singapore for the F1 and i still am alas i have been so up about and dun dun covid positive :( ,
we had an appointment planned with jannpaul, was served be gene and right off the top I have to say their service is impeccable.
i dont know how to put it, from all their greeting smiles and bows, to their crazy attention to every detail in their diamonds,
settings and catering to all my questions with no obligations whatsoever, i was even given a tour to meet miyabi their diamond setter on their instagram!

Back to main topic, so i have a pair of lightbox radiant pinks, an 1.2ct E VVS2 ideal cut igi with ideal proportions(verified with my own aset) round cvd with post growth treatment
from ritani. I do have some others but this was what I brought with me to Singapore, i'll try not to make this such a long post because I have some pictures and videos
from my husband we'll patch together when we're back to ny

so i was given quite an outstanding education, no upselling, just pure education with no strings attached for..... maybe 2 hours because I had so many questions
i'll try to stay on topic with the post first so there's a lil time jump here

- i requested to compare striation and hue of my ring to their lab growns, and i think this was quite quite the shocker, for hue since mine was already mounted
gene cleaned my ring fully placed it against a folded paper? top down against a decagon white series around 1 carat ish, F Color VVS2 on AGS platinum light report,
loose top down, and through the prongs i could see mine was distinctly brown, it was pure clear on their labs. not a hint of grey brown hue at all.
Plus my diamond was an E, so this was quite shocking to see, my assumption with post growth treatment on IGI especially if it was a D E F, it wouldnt show any tint
but it is what it is, and both me and my husband(andy, he's been doing all the PS research, and now im hijacking his account because I ended up being more addicted reading everything lovely in pricescope) were like. how??? anyway conclusion their labs really had no off hue at all.

- Stria and graining - while he was showing me the performance of the decagon outdoors, which i'll get into later, he mentioned it'd be better to view them under led lights is where we can compare fire but we stopped him there because we could already see on our diamond there was a distinct scratchiness? to it. what we assumed was striation in ours, their lab grown decagon and oval was just... clean. we did go to view them under led lights, but back in the shop(if i remember right they had sections of mixed halogens and leds, we already could see that scratchiness we viewed outdoors was striation on my diamond, and again the fire in their decagon and oval was just again extremely clean. If i remember correctly the term everyone uses is fuzziness? Gene mentioned bire something. Sorry for terminology massacre, when we have all the pics and videos i'll write another proper review with the proper terms. but all in all yes, the fire and scintillation in their decagons and oval8 white series was just so clean and distinct it was unbelievable. to my naked eye the fuzziness in my diamond's fire performance was side by side to their labs is... just fuzzy.
I guess this is really brand new to us, since we thought we got a winner via the aset, but i guess cut is just one aspect in the labgrown world.
gene offered to show us under a higher magnification but since we already could see with our naked eye we skipped that, it's just so obvious, but we did ask what amount of striation our diamond was, and he mentioned by paul's standards it was faint+... so i asked what's paul's standards of striation

he said in the current industry 99% is dumped into igi, lower quality materials tend not to be cut to higher standards due to the waste of labor fees to cut lower end
materials, this made complete sense. back to paul's answer that for cvd, with or without hpht post treatment
, striation levels under his classification goes from none, faint- faint, faint+,
medium, medium +, strong. as is easily seen through polarized, led lights using a machine called the dibox.(the machine we skipped)
So I asked how frequent is this, and gene said very, but Paul is the one with all the exact data so he didn't want to give any wrong information because they'll be
releasing educational videos when the time comes.

conclusion on this is that yes their lab growns to my eyes which was cvd + hpht on ags platinum light report, had no visible striation fire and scintillation was beautifully clean. we were shown a few of medium and strong levels of IGI diamonds to look at, and i almost died. I think i'm lucky enough to have avoided those types already on my own ring.

- now here comes the pinks and blues + I HAVE PICTURES AND VIDEOS, i'll upload when we're back :).
- PINKS! if we talk about pink first, i had my lightbox pink to compare them to, again this was washed nicely by i think averie was her name. I did want to compare. they had a few pinks, not for sale but for sample, some where orangey pink, some were brownish pink some were peachy pink? like a mix of brown and orange pink. this was a dead no brainer
my pinks from lightbox was way worse their their bad samples of what brownish pink was. Gene told us not to feel bad about our purchase, I think he felt that we had buyer's remorse, but we assured him we wanted to see everything jannpaul had to offer cause it's been our first trip since covid and we really just wanted to see all the rave about jannpaul, and just to be as upfront as possible, I this is what really kinda sets them apart, they don't really care about selling, they actually cared about how we felt more so than anything else.

back to the pinks. my lightbox pink was clearly brownish pink. this is just night and day. because... they had their true decagon pink prototype. in the centre of the stack, which looked GORGEOUS. i've never seen a labgrown pink like that. it's shade was just pink pink, my husband videoed them under the different lighting our doors indoors with gene. note: i've been to brilliant earth to see their colored labgrowns, and their pinks were WAY worse
than what jannpaul calls as "rejection". I really wanted a heart 2.0(this is 1 thing i really came here for) white series pendant in their pink,
and gene said they had a lighter and dark shade of them, but they were being sent to GCAL 8x for full testing at the moment.

conclusion: so yes i can say i've never seen a true pink lab grown ever since i saw that decagon pink prototype.

- BLUES!
again the same thing, they had a group of not for sale samples of greyish blues, greenish blues, and 4 prototypes of their true blues. 2 was a lighter shade of their true blue it looked like a sky blue outdoors this was really beautiful
, 1 was of a medium shade and 1 was a of darker shade. they all had absolutely no hints of greyish or greenish or even brownish(i've seen this in brilliant earth).
they were just, really beautiful pure blues. they were cut into a decagons, and 1 was cut into an emerald 2.0, and this really really caught my eye. I know their white series is of a whole different level even to the world of super ideal
cuts but now in their patented blues, I might just get an emerald 2.0 in their lighter shade blue, probably ring :) but this isn't in project yet, but i got my eyes set on that for sure!

conclusion: 1 big thing i noticed with their blues and pinks, they all react beautifully under natural outdoors lighting, indoors, led etc. they dont change in shade, blue remains blue, pink remains pink. this is also where i noticed
for awhile now, my radiant pair pink from lightbox, was brownish pink outdoors, but when we stepped indoors, the brown was severely enhanced whilst theirs remained still pink with beautiful dispersions of colors the decagon gives off.

- their settings and quality control, i wont go too much in depth into this, i'm working with their lead designer soon to get my cad done for my pink heart pendant, i have a unique design in mind, i asked how many times can i change
because theres quite a few variants i wanted to try, and to my surprise there's no extra charge whatsoever, they will do as many changes variants as possible FOC until i'm happy with it. and i was like what?

- about their white series proprietary diamonds: decagon10hna, round10hna, emerald 2.0, heart 2.0 cushion 8 hna , shield 2.0, oval 8 hna, not sure if i missed out on anything else in their white series proprietary line, ill just say this:
uh.. i have so much to say about them but i dont know where to start. theyre all picture perfect under the aset, i dont know how they managed to achieve this level of precision cutting but my natural ACA from WF dont even hold against them
theyre all breath taking. i really tried to find any sort of fault with their proprietary diamonds through the aset and visually indoors outdoors natural light led and theres absolutely none. my heart fainted just comparing my ideal round
against their decagon. whoever owns their white series proprietary and compares to their super ideal cut rounds, they're just so much brighter, so much more firey and scintillation, double maybe? visually thats how me and my man
came to, they just perform twice as bright twice as firey and scintillating, just by visual appeal under all lighting. I think anyone who owns any of their propreitary cuts here can vouch for that. i felt like i walked into willy wonka
factory but for diamonds.

final conclusion:

i spent a total of about 3 hours on my first visit and another 4 hours on my second(their weekends are jampacked), they're located in the heart of orchard road in singapore, we did have a look at a few more well known names on google
in singapore in orchard, which had lab growns, the normal stuff. nothing stood out at all, very pushy, one lab company even said "the price of lab grown diamonds will continue go up because the mines for naturals will be close to be
depleted" I almost died hearing that. and they wouldn't show much at all, just very pushy. name was novita I believe, was really turned off just by their sales pitch. but all once said and done nothing at all came close to jannpaul.

Heck, nothing comes close to jannpaul even here in ny. It's such a pity they're not a pricescope vendor nor do have one in the US.

I think i side tracked quite alot sorry for my adhd, this is the first time i've experienced diamonds on a whole different level, not just the experience but their lineups. labs and naturals cuts, service, quality of settings,
their attention to detail to everything is just perfectionism. maybe that's even an understatement, i've seen a few threads on jannpaul here, their reviews on google are massive, but really what i saw was not all what i just mentioned,
they're the only company i see really actually innovating. Gene mentioned paul doesn't sleep and works in their forefront of rnd and innnovation. @DRSAMURAI how did you manage to get through to paul? Both times I was there I didn't
see him, unfortunate I really wanted to speak to him in person. I think it'd be great to get him into the pricescope community, I followed him on his instagram and i was surprised to see: https://www.instagram.com/jp.paulhung/ paul
and garry holloway are good friends? maybe garry can get him in here?

phew that was longer than I intended to write, when i'm back in ny i'll be posting all the pictures and videos we took! also my progress of my pendant, and a lab oval8 white series
ring my husband is seperately working with them for me :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
" OMG finally!!! A JANNPAUL thread for their labs, I was about to make one but i didn't even know where to start with so much to be said. can verify everything @DRSAMURAI said, i was recently in singapore for the F1 and i still am alas i have been so up about and dun dun covid positive :( ,
we had an appointment planned with jannpaul, was served be gene and right off the top I have to say their service is impeccable.
i dont know how to put it, from all their greeting smiles and bows, to their crazy attention to every detail in their diamonds,
settings and catering to all my questions with no obligations whatsoever, i was even given a tour to meet miyabi their diamond setter on their instagram!

Back to main topic, so i have a pair of lightbox radiant pinks, an 1.2ct E VVS2 ideal cut igi with ideal proportions(verified with my own aset) round cvd with post growth treatment
from ritani. I do have some others but this was what I brought with me to Singapore, i'll try not to make this such a long post because I have some pictures and videos

so i was given quite an outstanding education, no upselling, just pure education with no strings attached for..... maybe 2 hours because I had so many questions

- i requested to compare striation and hue of my ring to their lab growns, and i think this was quite quite the shocker, for hue since mine was already mounted
gene cleaned my ring fully placed it against a folded paper? top down against a decagon white series around 1 carat ish, F Color VVS2 on AGS platinum light report,
loose top down, and through the prongs i could see mine was distinctly brown, it was pure clear on their labs. not a hint of grey brown hue at all.
Plus my diamond was an E, so this was quite shocking to see, my assumption with post growth treatment on IGI especially if it was a D E F, it wouldnt show any tint
but it is what it is, and both me and my husband(andy, he's been doing all the PS research, and now im hijacking his account because I ended up being more addicted reading everything lovely in pricescope) were like. how??? anyway conclusion their labs really had no off hue at all.

- Stria and graining - while he was showing me the performance of the decagon outdoors, which i'll get into later, he mentioned it'd be better to view them under led lights is where we can compare fire but we stopped him there because we could already see on our diamond there was a distinct scratchiness? to it. what we assumed was striation in ours, their lab grown decagon and oval was just... clean. we did go to view them under led lights, but back in the shop(if i remember right they had sections of mixed halogens and leds, we already could see that scratchiness we viewed outdoors was striation on my diamond, and again the fire in their decagon and oval was just again extremely clean. If i remember correctly the term everyone uses is fuzziness? Gene mentioned bire something. Sorry for terminology massacre, when we have all the pics and videos i'll write another proper review with the proper terms. but all in all yes, the fire and scintillation in their decagons and oval8 white series was just so clean and distinct it was unbelievable. to my naked eye the fuzziness in my diamond's fire performance was side by side to their labs is... just fuzzy.
I guess this is really brand new to us, since we thought we got a winner via the aset, but i guess cut is just one aspect in the labgrown world.
gene offered to show us under a higher magnification but since we already could see with our naked eye we skipped that, it's just so obvious, but we did ask what amount of striation our diamond was, and he mentioned by paul's standards it was faint+... so i asked what's paul's standards of striation

he said in the current industry 99% is dumped into igi, lower quality materials tend not to be cut to higher standards due to the waste of labor fees to cut lower end
materials, this made complete sense. back to paul's answer that for cvd, with or without hpht post treatment
, striation levels under his classification goes from none, faint- faint, faint+,
medium, medium +, strong. as is easily seen through polarized, led lights using a machine called the dibox.(the machine we skipped)
So I asked how frequent is this, and gene said very, but Paul is the one with all the exact data so he didn't want to give any wrong information because they'll be

conclusion on this is that yes their lab growns to my eyes which was cvd + hpht on ags platinum light report, had no visible striation fire and scintillation was beautifully clean. we were shown a few of medium and strong levels of IGI diamonds to look at, and i almost died. I think i'm lucky enough to have avoided those types already on my own ring.

- now here comes the pinks and blues + I HAVE PICTURES AND VIDEOS, i'll upload when we're back :).
- PINKS! if we talk about pink first, i had my lightbox pink to compare them to, again this was washed nicely by i think averie was her name. I did want to compare. they had a few pinks, not for sale but for sample, some where orangey pink, some were brownish pink some were peachy pink? like a mix of brown and orange pink. this was a dead no brainer
my pinks from lightbox was way worse their their bad samples of what brownish pink was. Gene told us not to feel bad about our purchase, I think he felt that we had buyer's remorse, but we assured him we wanted to see everything jannpaul had to offer cause it's been our first trip since covid and we really just wanted to see all the rave about jannpaul, and just to be as upfront as possible, I this is what really kinda sets them apart, they don't really care about selling, they actually cared about how we felt more so than anything else.

back to the pinks. my lightbox pink was clearly brownish pink. this is just night and day. because... they had their true decagon pink prototype. in the centre of the stack, which looked GORGEOUS. i've never seen a labgrown pink like that. it's shade was just pink pink, my husband videoed them under the different lighting our doors indoors with gene. note: i've been to brilliant earth to see their colored labgrowns, and their pinks were WAY worse
than what jannpaul calls as "rejection". I really wanted a heart 2.0(this is 1 thing i really came here for) white series pendant in their pink,
and gene said they had a lighter and dark shade of them, but they were being sent to GCAL 8x for full testing at the moment.

conclusion: so yes i can say i've never seen a true pink lab grown ever since i saw that decagon pink prototype.

- BLUES!
again the same thing, they had a group of not for sale samples of greyish blues, greenish blues, and 4 prototypes of their true blues. 2 was a lighter shade of their true blue it looked like a sky blue outdoors this was really beautiful
, 1 was of a medium shade and 1 was a of darker shade. they all had absolutely no hints of greyish or greenish or even brownish(i've seen this in brilliant earth).
they were just, really beautiful pure blues. they were cut into a decagons, and 1 was cut into an emerald 2.0, and this really really caught my eye. I know their white series is of a whole different level even to the world of super ideal
cuts but now in their patented blues, I might just get an emerald 2.0 in their lighter shade blue, probably ring :) but this isn't in project yet, but i got my eyes set on that for sure!

conclusion: 1 big thing i noticed with their blues and pinks, they all react beautifully under natural outdoors lighting, indoors, led etc. they dont change in shade, blue remains blue, pink remains pink. this is also where i noticed
for awhile now, my radiant pair pink from lightbox, was brownish pink outdoors, but when we stepped indoors, the brown was severely enhanced whilst theirs remained still pink with beautiful dispersions of colors the decagon gives off.

- their settings and quality control, i wont go too much in depth into this, i'm working with their lead designer soon to get my cad done for my pink heart pendant, i have a unique design in mind, i asked how many times can i change
because theres quite a few variants i wanted to try, and to my surprise there's no extra charge whatsoever, they will do as many changes variants as possible FOC until i'm happy with it. and i was like what?

- about their white series proprietary diamonds: decagon10hna, round10hna, emerald 2.0, heart 2.0 cushion 8 hna , shield 2.0, oval 8 hna, not sure if i missed out on anything else in their white series proprietary line, ill just say this:
uh.. i have so much to say about them but i dont know where to start. theyre all picture perfect under the aset, i dont know how they managed to achieve this level of precision cutting but my natural ACA from WF dont even hold against them
theyre all breath taking. i really tried to find any sort of fault with their proprietary diamonds through the aset and visually indoors outdoors natural light led and theres absolutely none. my heart fainted just comparing my ideal round
against their decagon. whoever owns their white series proprietary and compares to their super ideal cut rounds, they're just so much brighter, so much more firey and scintillation, double maybe? visually thats how me and my man
came to, they just perform twice as bright twice as firey and scintillating, just by visual appeal under all lighting. I think anyone who owns any of their propreitary cuts here can vouch for that. i felt like i walked into willy wonka

final conclusion:

i spent a total of about 3 hours on my first visit and another 4 hours on my second(their weekends are jampacked), they're located in the heart of orchard road in singapore, we did have a look at a few more well known names on google
in singapore in orchard, which had lab growns, the normal stuff. nothing stood out at all, very pushy, one lab company even said "the price of lab grown diamonds will continue go up because the mines for naturals will be close to be
depleted" I almost died hearing that. and they wouldn't show much at all, just very pushy. name was novita I believe, was really turned off just by their sales pitch. but all once said and done nothing at all came close to jannpaul.

Heck, nothing comes close to jannpaul even here in ny. It's such a pity they're not a pricescope vendor nor do have one in the US.

I think i side tracked quite alot sorry for my adhd, this is the first time i've experienced diamonds on a whole different level, not just the experience but their lineups. labs and naturals cuts, service, quality of settings,
their attention to detail to everything is just perfectionism. maybe that's even an understatement, i've seen a few threads on jannpaul here, their reviews on google are massive, but really what i saw was not all what i just mentioned,
they're the only company i see really actually innovating. Gene mentioned paul doesn't sleep and works in their forefront of rnd and innnovation. @DRSAMURAI how did you manage to get through to paul? Both times I was there I didn't
see him, unfortunate I really wanted to speak to him in person. I think it'd be great to get him into the pricescope community, I followed him on his instagram and i was surprised to see: https://www.instagram.com/jp.paulhung/ paul

phew that was longer than I intended to write, when i'm back in ny i'll be posting all the pictures and videos we took! also my progress of my pendant, and a lab oval8 white series

thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for this amazing post!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

- BLUES!

final conclusion:

Oh my goodness, I can't wait to see your photos and videos! What a fantastic trip you had.

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock

- BLUES!

final conclusion:

Hi @Andy Tan,

Actually Paul has personally responded to me 3 times. Twice when I sent complex questions to Chloe at [email protected] and once on his IG blog which you are aware of. Since you have a history with Gene, try asking him to forward your questions to Paul although messages to him seem to be filtered. JP does not neglect clients whether or not purchasing. If there is any way I can assist, feel free to ask. Good luck.

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Andy Tan,

Actually Paul has personally responded to me 3 times. Twice when I sent complex questions to Chloe at [email protected] and once on his IG blog which you are aware of. Since you have a history with Gene, try asking him to forward your questions to Paul although messages to him seem to be filtered. JP does not neglect clients whether or not purchasing. If there is any way I can assist, feel free to ask. Good luck.

What a coincidence. Paul emailed me on his thoughts about clean energy in the manufacture of LGD as I was responding to you. In a nut shelI, his opinion is it's not yet ready for primetime based on suboptimal QC. I did mention that you would like to contact him. Fingers crossed.

P

Petalouda

Has anyone been able to get in contact with them? I sent an email a few days ago and no response. Then I asked a question in an Instagram message and the only response I got was a heart emoji. I’m really interested in their emerald cuts but am second guessing if communication is going to be an issue.

Got a reply today! Confirmed it takes 3-4 months to cut a lab diamond but that’s fine with me. They look phenomenal. I would like to see more videos of their emerald cuts.

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Andy Tan,

Paul and I are becoming PenPals. He attended the recently completed Singapore Jewelry Expo where he spoke with Garry, Wink, Serg, et al. He is currently challenged with perfecting his newest White Series cuts additions; pear, marquise and radiant. He is happy to intervene and answer technical questions his staff cannot handle. And he will reach out to you via Gene.

bennytief

Rough_Rock
After reading this post, I just started looking into JannPaul. Has anybody in the US successfully bought anything from them? Their diamond is amazing. Do you have faith buying from them unseen? Thank you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DejaWiz! Is the Decagon their best known offering?

Not sure how well known it is, but I'd be inclined to say that it is their crowning achievement.

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
After reading this post, I just started looking into JannPaul. Has anybody in the US successfully bought anything from them? Their diamond is amazing. Do you have faith buying from them unseen? Thank you.

Hi @bennytief,

Yes, I can personally vouch for JannPaul as a Decagon client. JP's business ethics, honesty, transparency and personal customer service are second to none. Although this is a LGD section my three Decagons are all EG and purchased prior to their White Series LGD availability. You can read my PS testamonial and review of JP by clicking on this link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-owns-decagon-stones.265634/#post-4955627.

Decagon does live up to the hype and even exceeds. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask.

bennytief

Rough_Rock
Hi @bennytief,

Yes, I can personally vouch for JannPaul as a Decagon client. JP's business ethics, honesty, transparency and personal customer service are second to none. Although this is a LGD section my three Decagons are all EG and purchased prior to their White Series LGD availability. You can read my PS testamonial and review of JP by clicking on this link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-owns-decagon-stones.265634/#post-4955627.

Decagon does live up to the hype and even exceeds. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks @DRSAMURAI,

How do you feel their LGD compare to their EGD? According to their website, JP applies the same stringent criteria for both LGD & EGD in their white series. I don't know if you have any insight on that.

With the launch of their proprietary LGD, do you think we should wait for it for better quality and price? Personally I don't think the price will drop much because that market driven but better quality? What do you think?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @DRSAMURAI,

How do you feel their LGD compare to their EGD? According to their website, JP applies the same stringent criteria for both LGD & EGD in their white series. I don't know if you have any insight on that.

With the launch of their proprietary LGD, do you think we should wait for it for better quality and price? Personally I don't think the price will drop much because that market driven but better quality? What do you think?

If it were me ready to buy an LGD Decagon, then I would have zero reservations about buying right now...posts #2 and #3 above are direct copy and paste from JP to my personal email. They already have extremely high standards for vetting their LGD rough and use the same cutter that is used for their EGD Decagons.

DRSAMURAI

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @DRSAMURAI,

The majority of my biased diamond education has been focused on EGD, so my LGD fund of knowledge is limited. I have not seen JP EGD WS vs JP LGD WS H2H comparisons. All are GIA 3 EX or AGS 000 graded and WS LGD GCAL 8X is forthcoming. My suggestion is to contact JP at [email protected] to reserve a live online appointment and the non-commissioned SA will gladly educate you on the similarities and differences of your requested demo of real time H2H comparisons LGD vs EGD WS and other SICs. These can include various lighting scenarios, scopes, ASET, H&A, IS, dark field illumination, etc. Paul sets the quality standards and his bar is set extremely high. He is such a perfectionist and his diamonds' cuts manifest this.

QUALITY: All JP diamonds regardless of derivation or provenance are graded GIA 3 EX, AGS 000 or GCAL 8X. Color G or better. Clarity SL2 or better. For JP LGD, hue nuances and striae are eliminated by their patented growth formula process. @DejaWiz shared comp photos above. I have not seen better cut H&As, ISs or ASETs than those by JP's Master Cutter in Belgium who cuts all JP diamonds whether EGD or LGD. There is a direct correlation between these scopes and optical performance.

PRICE: The expectation is that as lab growing technology improves and yields increase, the increased production will result in lower prices. The Caveat Emptor is unscrupulous growers will continue to introduce lower quality LGDs to the market to maximize profit. Due to JP's unique cut quality, price comparisons to standard cuts are dicey. For my wife's Decagons, comparing 111 facets to 57 facets SICs is not fair; unfair to 57. Yet, for 57 facets SICs with similar 4 Cs, the cost is comparable making Decagons a great deal. The consumer is tasked with the decision of spending on the highest quality or not. @Andy Tan anecdotally described her actual JP B&M visit with the observation and comparison of JP's WS LGDs vs her personal non-JP obtained LGDs shared above. She now seems less than satisfied her previous LGDs. I cannot top that testament.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am intrigued that Jannpaul will be growing their own LGD. I will watch for further news about this! I have never bought from him but I've watched his youtube videos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results