shape
carat
color
clarity

Jannpaul Decagon vs Octagon Nova vs GIA3x comparison video + some GCAL8x reports

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
First post!

Thought this might be of interest to some of you. Don't know if its been posted before. Ripped off the 62nd page of a random Singaporean hardware forum.

Jannpaul Decagon vs Octagon Nova vs GIA3x comparison video - ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIN6tJ4qLBk <iframe width="966" height="543" src="
" title="For Dwyane" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am in the process of getting a platinum solitaire made up with this bad boy - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332580016
Did I make a mistake not going for the Octagon nova?

Here is a GCAL8x report for an Octagon Nova if there hasn't already been one posted - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332690052

Also a bonus Jannpaul Hearts and arrows cut Hearts shaped beauty I stumbled on while scrolling through GCAL - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332580027

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, SparkleMax!

W-O-W your Decagon is awesome - love the 40.6/35/54 combo and that 16.5% crown height!

JP keeps hitting home runs: their Nova and their H&A Heart are truly works of art.

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, SparkleMax!

W-O-W your Decagon is awesome - love the 40.6/35/54 combo and that 16.5% crown height!

JP keeps hitting home runs: their Nova and their H&A Heart are truly works of art.

Thanks DejaWiz!

I can only imagine the angst those Belgian diamond cutters must feel whenever they get a new project from JP :lol:

I was hoping you may know - Are the tiny hearts visible "face up" a unique feature to the Decagons 111 facet cut or do they show up in regular 57 facet cut rounds at non standard cutting angles?

1699106052265.png

I'm wondering if it would work aesthetically, pairing a decagon solitaire with an Octagon Nova band?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DejaWiz!

I can only imagine the angst those Belgian diamond cutters must feel whenever they get a new project from JP :lol:

I was hoping you may know - Are the tiny hearts visible "face up" a unique feature to the Decagons 111 facet cut or do they show up in regular 57 facet cut rounds at non standard cutting angles?

1699106052265.png

I'm wondering if it would work aesthetically, pairing a decagon solitaire with an Octagon Nova band?

It's possible to find a 57 facet round that exhibits a bit of table reflection in that manner, but it'd probably be a toss-up on being what most of us usually consider well proportioned with high optical performance that a SIC offers.

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
It's possible to find a 57 facet round that exhibits a bit of table reflection in that manner, but it'd probably be a toss-up on being what most of us usually consider well proportioned with high optical performance that a SIC offers.

I'm getting mini heart shaped prongs because the GF went bananas when she saw this (controversial I know) - 1699137269791.png

I do like the idea of an exceptionally "lovely" ring. I hope I managed to get a combination that is truly special along those lines.
I have a band with decagon melee, and they sparkle amazingly all the time. I have a feeling octagon melee would be spectacular!

That disco effect is so cool! The colour and shape of the ring is so beautiful!
I'm unreasonably excited to see how mini octagon novas behave under similar conditions.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Their craftsmanship is impeccable, and OF COURSE she loved those those heart shaped prongs! No one else will have them, they’re symbolic and they’re tasteful at the tiny size. Yay for you both!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I typically dislike heart prongs, but of course the ones from JP are so well done, delicate, and lovely. I think it will be amazing

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Their craftsmanship is impeccable, and OF COURSE she loved those those heart shaped prongs! No one else will have them, they’re symbolic and they’re tasteful at the tiny size. Yay for you both!

I typically dislike heart prongs, but of course the ones from JP are so well done, delicate, and lovely. I think it will be amazing

Thanks 0515vision and lovedogs I don't think she will be expecting the level of craftsmanship that will be on display when I show her the video of Miyabi-san mounting the stone and shaping the prongs! She knows I'm getting a ring + wants lab + approximate budget but has know idea what. When I took her to try on rings for sizing + to find out what the biggest size stone she would tolerate was :lol: I could tell she was pretty unhappy with what was on offer for our price range and the generic nature of the experience. 50/50 she expects heart prongs will even be possible.

I'm so excited! I'll post the vid and any pictures up when I get them. Should be in a week hopefully!

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Good pick up V_sh I'm not fully satisfied if they say all aspects of light performance either. Paul addresses this during a long form discussion style video in reference to the decagon. He too criticises the unscientific nature of such a broad claim.

How much better in terms of performance is the Decagon compared to the 57 facets Super Ideal Cut Round? How much better in terms of performance is the Decagon compared to the 57 facets Super Ideal Cut Round? 29:55

I was curious if they tried to address the large fire flashes thing with the design of the Nova given that it has some larger facets, even though it has 137 facets total. I suspect it may just be an aesthetic thing but who knows.

Beyond comparing asset scope images, tilting asset videos, ideal scope images and comparison videos under different lighting conditions do you know of a better way to "scientifically" compare diamonds?

On another note the minimum size they will do a nova in is .5 carats so a decagon band it is!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
As a decagon band owner, I’m thrilled to have a Dec Pal! Would love to see your CADs and be taken on your journey. And ask for a video. They’re free so long as they have time to make one.

Most ppl get DSS, but with my melee, I just wish I had more … but at a size 3.25, there wasn’t much finger to cover lol

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
As a decagon band owner, I’m thrilled to have a Dec Pal! Would love to see your CADs and be taken on your journey. And ask for a video. They’re free so long as they have time to make one.

Most ppl get DSS, but with my melee, I just wish I had more … but at a size 3.25, there wasn’t much finger to cover lol

I think my GF has diamond growing syndrome! :lol: I set a pair of 1ct (6.5mm) 16H&A moisanite from starsgem in some silver stud earrings. I'm no Miyabi but she seems to like them and they haven't fallen out yet :lol: She says they seem to have gotten bigger over time!

I'm keen to do the beam of light in a dark room test and compare the decagon and moissy .

Getting a picture and setting video of the solitaire hopefully "early next week" Sooo excited. No CAD with the main ring :oops2: Just sent a pic and asked for something like this in 2mm pt950. We'll see how it turns out I suppose. I was very temped to get as many hearts, following a broader motif, on there as possible but I think the prongs should do the trick while keeping it minimalistic which is my GFs preferred style.

Will defiantly share and Cads / designs for the band when the time comes. Thinking a 2.5 - 3mm ~ .1ct per stone French fish tail style "split prongs" pt950 band with 7-9 or more stones but not 100% sure at the moment.
1700359124936.png

V_sh

Rough_Rock
Trade
Good pick up V_sh I'm not fully satisfied if they say all aspects of light performance either. Paul addresses this during a long form discussion style video in reference to the decagon. He too criticises the unscientific nature of such a broad claim
Hi friend,

I DO appreciate your time and amazing reply, thanks a lot

I didn't know that he also knows and says that this thing is not really scientific, Thanks for the information and I will read and search after this

yeah there are companies like Sarine and others that provide some devices and software and AI tools to evaluate the amount of all the light performance aspects and to compare it with other diamonds, this evaluations are done by technology and computer with scientific backgrounds not just to say "hey everybody, look at our cut in this video it's brighter than that one, and this is the first time in history"

the attached picture is a quick example of a real cut evaluation, containing numerical comparison from Octonus company, Sarine has some more accurate ones too
dfgfd.png

the fact that their lowest size is 0.5 ct is so good to know, it's because that this cut is really hard to do so you can not do it accurate enough on small stones and because in stone size decreases the "effective virtual facets" number will decrease too (also standard H&A cut to not less than 0.3 ct)

Did you know that a 0.05 ct single-cut round diamond has better performance than a 0.05 ct round brilliant diamond?

I suggest reading about the "effective virtual facet" concept it's scientifically amazing and pleasant to know

but his cut is really innovative and pleasant to watch, I like it

thanks for your logical answer

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a band with decagon melee, and they sparkle amazingly all the time. I have a feeling octagon melee would be spectacular!

I just emailed them about getting a band like the one in your video. Do you mind sharing if the stones in yours are lab or earth? And the approx price? No worries if you'd rather not though :)

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
approx price

For reference - The ring I got a quote for, not a complex shape. - A 3mm band you would likely require a 2.5-2.6mm Decagon.
A Platinum eternity ring with 12-14 melee Lab Decagons (D-F, VVS) would make it halfway around the band;
SGD 2,150 - 2,350 (1,606-1,756usd)excluding taxes)*bank wire
Total carat weight would be 0.72ct - 0.84ct.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I just emailed them about getting a band like the one in your video. Do you mind sharing if the stones in yours are lab or earth? And the approx price? No worries if you'd rather not though :)

Of course I'm happy to share! It was $1050 USD.

My ring is comprised of 18k rose gold and 7 lab decagons. I picked rose gold bc it matches my skin tone and so the stones look like they "float."

It's a very sturdy 1.6mm band. They sent me a 1.5mm wax cast, and I dismissed it bc I thought it would be prone to bending. But the depth of the band is significant (the measurement from outside-touch-the-adjacent-finger edge to inside-touch-the-finger-wearing-the-ring edge), and I would've been fine with 1.5mm.

My rings size is 3.25, so the decs are smaller. Center is 2.5mm, adjacent ones are 1.4 and lateral ones are 1.7. I also asked for a video which was free. Unlike other PSers, I ended up paying about $70 in tax. The video adds time to the order, but I wasn't in a time crunch.

Hope you're able to design something you love!

TWoodman

Rough_Rock
Hello, Sparkle Max. Great posts on the JANNPAUL. We are considering a Decagon or an Octagon Nova. Could we privately share our Price per carat with you for comparison?

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Thanks TWoodman I'm actually unsure how to private message on PS but I'll share what I got quoted about a month ago.

Decagon 10 H&A, 111 facets (Lab grown)
1.48 F VVS1
SGD 3,500. ( $2,620 usd) excluding taxes)*bank wire
*instock (available no waiting time)

Octagon Nova 137 facets (Lab Grown)
1.61-1.65ct E/F VS1-VVS1
SGD 4,250 ($3,182 usd)(excluding taxes)*bank wire
*now in the process of final cutting, ready in 1.5 months

General pricing below from JP website -

1701350492015.png

Buckle up I'm working on an ultimate Decagon vs Nova post..

TWoodman

Rough_Rock
Update to my last post. Our latest quote from Chloe is listed below for anyone who is interested.
Decagon 10 H&A, 111 facets -

3.71-3.76carat DEF VS1-VVS1

USD 12,200 - 13,200 (excluding taxes)*bank wire

Round 10 H&A, 111 facets -

3.73-3.79ct DEF, VS1-VVS1

USD 12,200 - 13,200 (excluding taxes)*bank wire

In case you are interested in the Octagon Nova 137 facets we have another rough:

3.55-3.60ct DEF, VS1-VVS1

USD 11,500 - 11,900 (excluding taxes)*bank wire

xi_32

Rough_Rock
Would a 1.2-1.4 carat decagon or octagon nova look good in a Vatche U-113 (Tiffany style) setting?

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
Would a 1.2-1.4 carat decagon or octagon nova look good in a Vatche U-113 (Tiffany style) setting?
Probably but it would be personal preference in terms of aesthetics but also perhaps how conservative the wearer is. The number of prongs also may be an issue if you were set on a certain number. I think for someone erring on the more conservative side the Round version of the Decagon would be a more "safe" option.

Decagon 111 facet - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332580016

Simple decagon ring video -

1701465464254.png

Round 111 facet - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=332580020.

1701465515519.png

Keep in mind you can get whatever you want custom made with JP. Here's a link to some other simple solitaire's they have made. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.206482112717611&type=3
You could also try Instagram or another social media site you can access to look for other examples.

Hope that helps!

SparkleMax

Rough_Rock
111facet -

3.73-3.79ct DEF, VS1-VVS1

Nova -
3.55-3.60ct DEF, VS1-VVS1
WOW! either of those options will be amazing stones! Please please share pics if/when you get them! :D Have you decided on a setting yet?

TWoodman

Rough_Rock
We have not decided yet. Emailed question's take 1-2 days for a response ( given the time difference) Our last decision is deciding on the setting. My better half, prefers a 6 prong. We are hoping for a mockup before finalizing. We are leaning toward the Octagon nova as of this minute. We are going to ask for a 4 double prong .
We are still in the process of finalizing all the #'s including duty and taxes.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
We have not decided yet. Emailed question's take 1-2 days for a response ( given the time difference) Our last decision is deciding on the setting. My better half, prefers a 6 prong. We are hoping for a mockup before finalizing. We are leaning toward the Octagon nova as of this minute. We are going to ask for a 4 double prong .
We are still in the process of finalizing all the #'s including duty and taxes.

@momofive, did JP send you a wax model of your gorgeous 3ct+ emerald ring? Or did you just see CADs?
I got a wax model, but I was just getting a band. How exciting for everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results