shape
carat
color
clarity

JamesAllen.com reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I am new to the forums, but I have read hours upon hours of threads here. I have been checking the pricescope prices for the diamonds in my range (RB Ideal/Excellent (that meets the HCA cutoff of course) 1.25C and higher, G-H, VS1-SI1, and hopefully with some fluorescence.
I am really worried about trusting the sales rep on the other side of the phone no matter who I end up shopping with that they will be able to tell me if I end up going with a SI1 that it is "eye-clean." I have read many articles about different vendors having different standards, etc. But I think no matter what I will be worried until I see it for myself.
I had been planning on going with BN or union diamond, but recently I have noticed JamesAllen to be very competitive with prices. Specifically this one.
I''m just wondering what the reputation for James Allen is on this forum. They have a 30 day return policy so thats nice.

The other vendor I have noticed recently is Abazias, but I dont like their 10 day return policy.

I think once I figure out where I am going to purchase, finding the diamond I like will be easy. I know that WF and GOG are really popular here, but I dont ever see myself or my gf ever looking through an IS so I''m not sure I want to pay the premium price for that. Any opinions on the above diamond. I have asked for the GIA report, and I also think this SI1 will be visible to my eyes, because it is pretty big and right in the middle.

Thanks for any and all opinions!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
For JA, there is no premium for asking an IS image. Please ask for it, they expect PSers to ask for it.

EDT:
The stone you are interested in is slightly deep, the weight is not hidden in the girdle, so might be a little steep in the pavilion angle, won't know until the report is available. Avg spread for a well cut 1.3c should be ard 7.1mm.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t had any problems with JA. They have v helpful staff and I''m most impressed with their response time.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Do a search for JA on this forum and you''ll be sure to find lots of feedback. I haven''t heard anything negative and consider them a potential vendor for future use.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I had purchased 2 cushions from JA and they were both beautiful but just not what I was looking for. I had NO problem with returning them within the 30-days and they were always very nice. Good Luck!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
James Allen has a great reputation.

Is that a black inclusion slightly to 4 o''clock off the center? Black inclusions are less promising than white when it comes to eye-cleanliness. I''d definitely ask about that.

What is your maximum budget?

Good luck!

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
What about this one? Its about the maximum I can spend for my budget but it is also the biggest I have found so far that has an ideal cut (and HCA 1.3). My only concern of course is that it is not "eye-clean." And yes, I have already requested from them the IS image and asked if it is eye-clean and what their definition of eye clean is.

Would this be a good deal if it is an eye clean diamond?

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Phoenixgirl, I agree that inclusion looks like it would be noticeable so I doubt I will be going with that one. I have found the one above that, while more expensive, is also bigger and has an HCA score of 1.3. What do you think about that one? My max budget for the diamond is about $7,500 (though I would like to spend a little less and be in the 1.3C range) because the ring will most likely be in the $1,500 range and $9,000 is definitely the max I can spend right now.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:24:12 PM
Author:Eagles4523
I know that WF and GOG are really popular here, but I dont ever see myself or my gf ever looking through an IS so I''m not sure I want to pay the premium price for that.
Just thought I''d respond to this piece...

Seems to me kind of like saying one would have no need to lose weight, because you won''t be carrying a scale around with you all the time.

...which I don''t think you intended to mean...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 6:19:28 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 4/8/2009 12:24:12 PM
Author:Eagles4523
I know that WF and GOG are really popular here, but I dont ever see myself or my gf ever looking through an IS so I''m not sure I want to pay the premium price for that.
Just thought I''d respond to this piece...

Seems to me kind of like saying one would have no need to lose weight, because you won''t be carrying a scale around with you all the time.

...which I don''t think you intended to mean...
WF and GOG also offer a more extensive upgrade policy than JA. They offer a trade up of equal or higher value, whereas JA has to be double.

JA has an excellent reputation and I purchased my engagement ring stone here, so each of these would be fine.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Is "faint" enough flourescence for you?
1.gif

http://www.mondera.com/Diamond/diamondproduct.aspx?partno=640976#

This 1.31 G SI1 gets a 1.2 on the HCA.

Since JA is closed, I''d recommend searching on Blue Nile or Mondera since they post the certs of (at least almost) all of their stones. Then you can run the HCA. Most of the vendors that come up on the PS search engine (the general one, not the "search by cut" one) do not link to the certs, although USA Certed Diamonds usually gives the number so you can look it up.

I don''t think you''re going to get what you want in your price range with GOG or WF, but you can still get an AGS0 or equivalent stone that will be beautiful by searching online and using the HCA. Just make sure the place has a solid return policy in case you do decide it''s not the one for you.

Good luck!

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
I like this diamond, it will be bookmarked. I am starting to compile a list of diamonds I really like and pass the important tests so that hopefully by mid-next week I can narrow it down enough to purchase one!! Thanks for everyones responses.

littlemissbliss

Shiny_Rock
Eagles: my new ering came from James Allen. I have to say that I am thrilled with the ring and their prices are also some of the lowest we found. Thanks to James Allen, FI was able to get some serious bling for his buck.

Good luck with your shopping
21.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2009 6:58:44 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Is ''faint'' enough flourescence for you?
1.gif

http://www.mondera.com/Diamond/diamondproduct.aspx?partno=640976#

This 1.31 G SI1 gets a 1.2 on the HCA.

Since JA is closed, I''d recommend searching on Blue Nile or Mondera since they post the certs of (at least almost) all of their stones. Then you can run the HCA. Most of the vendors that come up on the PS search engine (the general one, not the ''search by cut'' one) do not link to the certs, although USA Certed Diamonds usually gives the number so you can look it up.

I don''t think you''re going to get what you want in your price range with GOG or WF, but you can still get an AGS0 or equivalent stone that will be beautiful by searching online and using the HCA. Just make sure the place has a solid return policy in case you do decide it''s not the one for you.

Good luck!

Just a correction to this misunderstanding. GOG has access to the last expensive diamonds on the internet as well (GIA Ex or AGS Ideal). It''s just when it comes to purchasing for inventory and qualifying for our signature line of rounds, I am very selective about what I will and will not spend our capital on or back with the liberal policies we offer.

rookie1981

Rough_Rock
I know you''re looking in the G-H range in color, but have you considered an I color? Could you tell the difference between an H and an I? And some may be very close to an H. The reason I ask is because I quickly searched Whiteflash (I have recently bought from them) to see if there was something that met your stats in your price range. I found this one:

1.25 I, SI1, GIA Excellent

You could ask about the color and the inclusions. The 40x image appears to show something, but the diamond may just need cleaning. The Idealscope and ASET look good as well, albeit the symmetry is a little off. Strictly based on proportions (and not considering light performance), this diamond would fall in AGS''s range of potential Ideal cut diamonds. This one also doesn''t have fluorescence like you wanted, but just thought I''d toss this one your way. I really like being able to see the actual diamond if I''m buying online. You get that with JA, Whiteflash, and GOG. Have fun and happy hunting!

An I color diamond may open another world of choices, too!

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
thanks littlemissbliss, ill keep that in mind. I still may go with jamesallen even without the details I wont be able to get from customer service.

I could always return it if im not satisfied.

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Rookie1981, thanks. That is a very nice looking diamond. I do have to consider that one now. I am a little worried about going down to I, so that will be my main decision point, however that would also save me lots of $$$. Also, I will have to make sure it is eye-clean because that, along with cut, are my priorities right now.

Thanks for doing the search!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results