shape
carat
color
clarity

James Meyer settings for my color change sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Hi All
A couple of weeks ago, my boyfriends bought this sapphire for me from wildfishgems

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/5598

We both love it!!!! We tried to take photos, and it did nt really work (we are incredibly useless at anything remotely techy). It s beautiful, especially in the sunlight, and the color change is wonderful. So on to my question. I was thinking about settings when I came across the below two after seeing butterbean and coatimundi''s settings. I love them. I am guessing they are WAY outside budget, so this might be me just wishful thinking.... But my question is, will my sapphire suffer from being bezeled? Will it lose its ''life'', the way it sparkles, etc? Also, I am scared that the setting will be too high, does the height of the setting mean I am more likely to damage it? It will be an engagement ring, so I would like to give it a lot of wear. What do you all think?
Thanks you all

http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1345.htm

http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1278.htm

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mousey
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Your sapphire looks beautiful and I love the color of it. I looked again at both settings. I am sure both prices, included the diamonds. The actual cost of the settings, with your sapphire may not be too bad after all.

Personally for me, I would not bezel set a sapphire. Again, that is me. I feel the light needs to hit the sapphire from all angles to really let it shine. It will appear quite a bit darker if bezzled, but that is just my thought.

I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Linda W- thats what I was scared of.... But I love the settings. Hmmmmmmm!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2009 2:40:31 PM
Author:mousey

Hi All

A couple of weeks ago, my boyfriends bought this sapphire for me from wildfishgems

Hehe, boyfriends? Plural? Lucky gal?
41.gif

James Meyer does lovely work!
I might also suggest something like Sally's Pill box setting, it's bezel, but it lets in some light, and she's happy to do custom work if you have a design in mind. She's lovely to work with :) She's also very reasonable with her pricing if you find that James Meyer might be out of budget, her work is also entirely hand done.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22669935

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Sorry typo- def only one boyfriend: one is enough!
Thanks for the tip- Do you think that the James Meyer setting doesn''t let in as much light as the pill box setting?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2009 3:03:57 PM
Author: mousey
Sorry typo- def only one boyfriend: one is enough!

Thanks for the tip- Do you think that the James Meyer setting doesn't let in as much light as the pill box setting?

I've never seen a James Meyer in person, couldn't really say. Maybe AJ or Coati could chime in :)
I just love that all that detailing is done by hand. I think Mochi and Loriken have ordered the pillbox from here recently over in the Jewelry "things on etsy" thread, don't know if they've received them yet. Maybe they can chime in about how much more light it lets in compared to the traditional bezel.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
mousey another thought. Maybe Jim could just do a really thin bezel, so the light would still hit the sapphire. I know I have considered him too on redoing my pad sapphire. I love his settings.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again Linda W. What would a really thin Bezel look like? This is prob a stupid question, but would it be thin around the edge of the stone????

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone. Maybe a partial bezel setting would work.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so pleased you love your sapphire. I remember your original thread when you were searching.

I too would steer clear of a bezel setting. I have a number of cc sapphires and they''re all prong set. I think the light and how it plays around the stone is critical to a colour change stone. Even the Sally pillbox setting (although having filigree work on the side of the head) won''t let enough light in I wouldn''t think.

How about speaking with James Meyer and seeing if he can adapt one of the gorgeous settings you''ve picked so that your stone will be prong set? Don''t forget, it will look different anyway because it''s an oval stone but keeping that gorgeous shoulder shank work will be lovely.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks as always LovingDiamonds. Thats a great idea! It would be so super if he would consider doing that, but all his rings seem to be bezels. I guess it can''t hurt to ask?!? I think I will email him now and ask.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mousey,

I recently had James Meyer make me setting 1345 for my blue sapphire. I was quite concerned that it would darken the stone, but I don''t think it has had that effect at all. I got my stone through Wink Jones and it was cut by Richard Homer. Wink told me he didn''t think the stone would darken being bezeled because it is so well cut, so maybe that is why. Of course, I don''t know about the color change effect you speak of. Anyway, do a search and you can see my ring. (I think it was My James Meyer Sapphire ring)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello,
my JM 1345 doesn''t darken the stone at all. Because the actual bezel part is soo delicate, still 95% of the stone is facing light - mine simply travels
around the girdle of the gem, with maybe not even a mm added on - does that make sense?
And the profile is left so open. I feel it gets alot of light, mine is just as bright and colourful as when it was loose.
However, I don''t know much about CC sapphs, so I can''t comment on that aspect I''m sorry..

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Your stone is lovely. I think a thin bezel with an open bottom should be fine, but I can't speak for the color change effect.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see that the bezel is very thin and the sides and bottom are very open, which should allow very good colour change.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh well you know from my thread that I love these two settings too!
1.gif
I would hesitate about bezeling a sapphire as well, although it seems like Jim''s bezels are thin so it might be way more workable than any other bezel type settings. You should definitely e-mail him and see what he thinks. If Jim thinks it''ll be ok, then I say go for it!

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone. Lots to think about....

mousey

Shiny_Rock
ps Cind11, your ring is beautiful!!!!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone share the cost of those settings without the main diamond? I like 1345 and would consider looking for a stone if I knew I could afford the setting! How would a concave stone look in there?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d love to know the approx. cost of the 1345 setting (with no diamond) as well. He can do it in WG correct?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 8:21:26 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
Can someone share the cost of those settings without the main diamond? I like 1345 and would consider looking for a stone if I knew I could afford the setting! How would a concave stone look in there?
Smashing IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results