shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen sold my diamond after I purchased it

pittin

Rough_Rock
Long story short, I purchased a lovely diamond that met ALL of my criterion (and was a True Hearts!) from James Allen. A week later, JA contacted me to let me know they would be unable to fulfill the order. I'll not go into the details and the negative aspects of this experience, as JA eventually did make an effort to "make it right," after I asked.

The top three important factors to me are cut, carat (just being honest), and fluorescence. I really want a fluorescent stone, as I just think this is one of the coolest aspects. Unfortunately, there were no other True Hearts that met my needs. I feel like I have settled for this stone below. It is of better quality in a few aspects, but not being a True Hearts is starting to bother me.

Additionally, I am beginning to get bummed that they refuse to send an ideal scope image. They say the stone is coming from overseas, so this is impossible for them. And now I'm realizing this stone won't come with a H&A viewer, like their True Hearts do.

I feel like I now have to only purchase from JA, as they are showing a degree of goodwill due to the mess-up, which effects my bottomline. I'm almost feeling like I should just walk away entirely and pay $300-500 more for a Whiteflash ACA stone with nearly the same specs. That is a lot of money for me, though? I was very excited with my first JA purchase and I haven't been able to regain that same level of excitement. This is my first real diamond purchase and I feel like it is getting marred a bit.

I would love to get feedback on the stone below. It meets all of my requirements, except it is not in the super-ideal range, which is important to me. I need to feedback on whether or not it should be that important to me. Would I ever see the difference?

CARAT WEIGHT: 0.60
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE:Medium
L/W/D (MM): 5.44*5.39*3.36

L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 62.00
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 56.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.50
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.60
PAVILION %: 42.50

HCA: 1.3; Ex, Ex, Ex, VG

snip20151203_21.png

pittin

Rough_Rock
Also, this diamond seems to be right on the line of being a BIC diamond. If you change the Crown Angle in the HCA from 35.5 to 35.6, it comes back as a BIC stone, rather than TIC.

I think I would like a BIC stone, so this is potentially a positive factor for me.

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I can't comment on your stone because I'm not a pro! I am also buying my first JA stone and I have had the disappointment of not being able to get an ASET or sarin image. I was told no idealscopes/ASETs now due to the holiday rush and when I asked today for a sarin I was told it was down???? That really disappoints me! When you are in the business of selling diamonds online - it would be nice to provide your customers with the images they ask.

Sorry your diamond was sold. My first choice diamond literally sold when I was talking with them to reserve it. So now I'm on my 3rd choice! (2nd choice - which I liked had a black speck on the table. They assured me it was eye clean - via the internet photo, and very well may be. However, the stone was out of the country so I couldn't get a gemologist to look at it and give me the assurance it was eye clean.)

Good luck with your decision.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry pittin. This does happen when the vendors don't actually own the stone. The stone can get sold before they realize it.
I know it is frustrating. So hard to finally make a decision and to feel good about it then find out it's gone.

So, your other options are to go somewhere else if you feel too jaded by your JA experience. Or, if they have found you a decent
stone and are giving you a good deal on it then sometimes it's easier to get over the experience and stick with the vendor. Only
you know which is the right decision for you. I personally am very money driven as far as I like the get the best bang for my buck.
My husband on the other hand would be more experience driven and would probably switch vendors and not care about the money loss.

Dont feel like you have to stick with them due to the good-will. It's really your choice and dont feel bad about what ever you decide.
(Although I am very glad they are making an effort.)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in a rush? If you are not, you can keep your credit with JA and keep an eye out. More stones will be coming in, so you can choose another True Hearts if that's what you really want.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? Have you checked Brian Gavin Diamonds?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want hearts and arrows cut quality, then don't order this stone. This stone may be totally fine, but I don't like buying without idealscope or ASET images. Can you give us the link to the diamond page so we can see the diamond video?

This does happen from time to time because JA is owned by a diamond supplier and the diamonds are available through many other sources. It really isn't something the sales person on the phone can help because it takes time for the sale to show up so vendors can take that listing down.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about this. It doesn't happen often, but unfortunately it does happen. I'm another one who likes to get more bang for my buck & for me, I look for well cut stones & don't focus on the branded part so much. It's great when you can get a fair price on one though I have to admit. ;)) In your case, seems like your main focus or that you is the branded H&A aspect of the stone. For that I would go to Whiteflash, especially if you want to get engaged sooner rather than later. If you can wait, sit back & see what JA comes up with but if not, then go to Whiteflash. I do like their I coloured, .62 they have it's a sweet stone. Something to consider, in case in future you decide, is the option to upgrade without the dreaded having to spend 2 X's the initial price to do so. Maybe buy a smaller, less expensive stone or a lower colour now & change it when something comes up you like. Many here have used this option many, many times. ;))
All the best...
Judy

njs86

Rough_Rock
I was having this same issue with finding a stone I felt comfortable buying with pictures etc. especially since I wanted a cushion cut which you really need to see. Not being that familiar with diamonds even seeing the pictures on JA didn't offer much reassurance to me. I decided to pay the extra and go with Brian Gavin diamonds hearts and arrows cushion. My stone is like yours, a .64 carat, and its stunning. Also it will arrive before Christmas in the setting I wanted. Their customer service is amazing and you will feel reassured. I went over my budget a little but the reassurance and quality of stone was worth it. A couple hundred bucks for something that you are only supposed to buy once is worth it and they have stones in the size you are looking for.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty stone. I don't think you would be "settling" at all. ;)) Just confirm it's eye clean. I see the crystal at the edge of the table that might be visible. Otherwise, the stone should be eye clean. Is it mind clean enough for you? If you are set on a H&A, I agree with DS, don't buy it for the sake of buying something. If you were to go that route, go with Whiteflash. I see a .63, I colour on their list that is cheaper than the .62 I & is a nice spread. Talk to someone on the phone or live chat & they might be able to adjust the price a bit more. I've been chatting with Brittany & she's been very helpful.

Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the new JA is
Higher colour
Higher clarity
Larger
Same Med Blue fluor
Lesser optical symmetry and different proportions type

Can you post the price of your first stone (now sold) and the original retail price of the I VS2?

pittin

Rough_Rock
JA says the new one is eye-clean. The new one is better in those ways, but the cut quality is the part that I'm struggling with. It matters to me that it is a great cut quality. But I don't have a good unstanding of how big the gap is between a True Hearts (or A Cut Above) and this GIA excellent stone that has a good HCA.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
pittin|1449259813|3957529 said:
JA says the new one is eye-clean. The new one is better in those ways, but the cut quality is the part that I'm struggling with. It matters to me that it is a great cut quality. But I don't have a good unstanding of how big the gap is between a True Hearts (or A Cut Above) and this GIA excellent stone that has a good HCA.
If you are struggling with that, why not call whiteflash or BGD - both of them can provide more information on their in-house stones than JA can?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wildcat said what I was thinking, you are struggling with this. Because your struggling, you need to call both WF & BGD, although I think the BGD are more expensive but call them anyway. Call WF & put a stone on hold which they will do. Besides WF having something around your budget, I don't see much & I've checked Victor, & GOG. I didn't check BN though.

pittin

Rough_Rock
How significant is the difference between this GIA Ex, Ex, Ex stone and an A Cut Above diamond?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You aren't going to see a lot of difference in a 5.6mm stone. But honestly, there is some satisfaction in having top cut. My studs are ACAs and it is just worth it to me. You may spend a little more now, but years from now, that won't matter. But I would not go below I color.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pittin|1449265482|3957576 said:
How significant is the difference between this GIA Ex, Ex, Ex stone and an A Cut Above diamond?

If the GIA Ex stone is cut well (which the JA is), not a lot. The JA stone is quite lovely! It scores a 1.3 on the HCA, and the steeper crown is going to make for lots of fire and colored flashes.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally would get a refund and go elsewhere OR skip on this and wait for another. The CA and PA to me are not a good match (that PA would go better with a 34.5) and I, personally, would like a slightly shallower number than a 62% even.

Specifics of this stone aside, with them not meeting your original criteria from the stone you actually bought, I mean, you're not feeling the love all around, and that alone is enough cause to move on, either from this vendor or this stone. YOU did not screw this transaction up, THEY did. You should be given a full refund and allowed to take your business elsewhere, so I hope that is an option for you and that they're not requiring a credit situation.

There are plenty of other H&A options.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1449272552|3957626 said:
I personally would get a refund and go elsewhere OR skip on this and wait for another. The CA and PA to me are not a good match (that PA would go better with a 34.5) and I, personally, would like a slightly shallower number than a 62% even.

Specifics of this stone aside, with them not meeting your original criteria from the stone you actually bought, I mean, you're not feeling the love all around, and that alone is enough cause to move on, either from this vendor or this stone. YOU did not screw this transaction up, THEY did. You should be given a full refund and allowed to take your business elsewhere, so I hope that is an option for you and that they're not requiring a credit situation.

+1. Didn't want to be a downer but honestly I would do what ame said. Already not "not feeling the love". Well said ame (miss you around here). WF or BGD if you really care about cut. Or consider Crafted By Infinit.

About your question, GIA 3x and good HCA or precision cut? Depends on the person and how much you care. Only you know how much it will matter to you. GIA 3x would be really nice for the bulk of the people out there. However, if you are a person that wants the best and will hanker for it if you don't have the best, then give the precision cuts some consideration. I can tell the difference after having looked a diamonds with regularity for the past 4 years. Other PSers have been diamond affianados for many many years and they know what those super ideal cuts look like. I have a Gia 3x non-precision cut that many people have complemented. When I saw some precision cuts IRL, this is what I noticed. The arrows seemed very sharp, as were the flashes of light. The flashes seemed to go from one edge of the stone to the other. The flashes seemed bigger and there seemed to be more and brighter. If I had to do it over, I would go with precision cut. I have seen what "best" looks like and I can tell the difference. I would not be ok with knowing there is "better" out there, which is what I think DIAMONDSEEKER was saying, and I did not have it. I would be judicious in when I would spend the premium for it. On my ering, definitely. On everything else, maybe if it fit my budget.

You know yourself and your fiancé (if you are not the one wearing it) the best. It is a very personal choice. Mentally, what would you be at peace with?

pittin

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your feedback and advise. I think you're right. The JA stone is probably beautfiul and great for most people, but I really value knowing mine is super-ideal cut. I gave up fluorescence, but I think that is fine. I'm very happy with my Whiteflash experience while purchasing the stone linked below. Having all of their scans, images, and reports is worth the extra cost.

You guys are all awesome and I'm grateful for the time yall took to give guidance.

http://m.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3597952.htm#

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations...it's a beautiful stone! I think you will be really pleased!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1449328594|3957876 said:
ame|1449272552|3957626 said:

+1. Didn't want to be a downer but honestly I would do what ame said. Already not "not feeling the love". Well said ame (miss you around here). WF or BGD if you really care about cut. Or consider Crafted By Infinit.

About your question, GIA 3x and good HCA or precision cut? Depends on the person and how much you care. Only you know how much it will matter to you. GIA 3x would be really nice for the bulk of the people out there. However, if you are a person that wants the best and will hanker for it if you don't have the best, then give the precision cuts some consideration. I can tell the difference after having looked a diamonds with regularity for the past 4 years. Other PSers have been diamond affianados for many many years and they know what those super ideal cuts look like. I have a Gia 3x non-precision cut that many people have complemented. When I saw some precision cuts IRL, this is what I noticed. The arrows seemed very sharp, as were the flashes of light. The flashes seemed to go from one edge of the stone to the other. The flashes seemed bigger and there seemed to be more and brighter. If I had to do it over, I would go with precision cut. I have seen what "best" looks like and I can tell the difference. I would not be ok with knowing there is "better" out there, which is what I think DIAMONDSEEKER was saying, and I did not have it. I would be judicious in when I would spend the premium for it. On my ering, definitely. On everything else, maybe if it fit my budget.

You know yourself and your fiancé (if you are not the one wearing it) the best. It is a very personal choice. Mentally, what would you be at peace with?
:wavey: Thanks :) I lurk from time to time, but haven't poked much in RT a lot.

OP, I am glad to hear you found a stone elsewhere that met your needs :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results