carat
color
clarity

James Allen - shipping delay

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

After loads of really helpful advice on here, I took the plunge and ordered a cushion diamond and a setting from James Allen on 25th April. The original shipping date was yesterday but by yesterday evening the shipping date had been changed to today and I have just spoken to one of the advisors who has said that the ring is still in production today so I am not hopeful that it will be shipped by the end of today either.

I completely understand that so far the shopping date has only change by one day so far which is hopeful but I wondered how long other people have waited for a loose diamond to be set into a standard setting and shipped from James Allen? I am probably just way over excited and keen but thought I would post and see anyway.

(I am buying from the UK, don't know if that would impact anything).

Thanks!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I read another post where someone was experiencing delays with JA, so it seems you’re not alone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

After loads of really helpful advice on here, I took the plunge and ordered a cushion diamond and a setting from James Allen on 25th April. The original shipping date was yesterday but by yesterday evening the shipping date had been changed to today and I have just spoken to one of the advisors who has said that the ring is still in production today so I am not hopeful that it will be shipped by the end of today either.

I completely understand that so far the shopping date has only change by one day so far which is hopeful but I wondered how long other people have waited for a loose diamond to be set into a standard setting and shipped from James Allen? I am probably just way over excited and keen but thought I would post and see anyway.

(I am buying from the UK, don't know if that would impact anything).

Thanks!

Hi Norma,

There are other posts about the exact same thing at the moment so hang in there, I think it's possible the settings sale and time of year is playing a part. Are you in a big rush?

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi @Austina & @Lorelei & @ac117 , thanks for the replies. I suppose it is reassuring that there are others in the same boat and it is not specifically a problem with my order, though I hope we all receive our rings soon.

I have an event this weekend so when I found out the original shipping date I (perhaps foolishly) set my heart on wearing my new ring to it so it is not the end of the world if it doesn't come by then but I am just keen to have it for the event.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Austina & @Lorelei & @ac117 , thanks for the replies. I suppose it is reassuring that there are others in the same boat and it is not specifically a problem with my order, though I hope we all receive our rings soon.

I have an event this weekend so when I found out the original shipping date I (perhaps foolishly) set my heart on wearing my new ring to it so it is not the end of the world if it doesn't come by then but I am just keen to have it for the event.

Understood, I really hope you get it in time!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it gets here in time! Please don’t forget there is often a delay when the piece gets to customs and different carriers collect the duty and VAT in different ways. I once was informed by post which added about 3 days onto the whole process!! Very annoying :roll

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
I hope it gets here in time! Please don’t forget there is often a delay when the piece gets to customs and different carriers collect the duty and VAT in different ways. I once was informed by post which added about 3 days onto the whole process!! Very annoying :roll
Hi Snowdrop, thanks - me too!! I was going to see if I could contact FedEx in advance to pay the customs tax due once I have the tracking number if possible :) *fingers crossed*

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From memory Fedex are very good, hopefully it will be processed very speedily!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From memory Fedex are very good, hopefully it will be processed very speedily!

I've found FedEx to be on the ball too, hope they are for you Norma!

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
It wasn't shipped and the shipping date has changed again :(.

Disappointed and frustrated, I wish that I was given an honest response each day rather than being assured it was being shipped.

I have accepted i won't have it for my event this weekend though, just hope it is shipped soon - very excited to see it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Disappointed and frustrated, I wish that I was given an honest response each day rather than being assured it was being shipped.

I have accepted i won't have it for my event this weekend though, just hope it is shipped soon - very excited to see it!

I'm really sorry to hear this Norma, what date were you given this time?

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lorelei, it has followed the same pattern as before - just shifting one day, so currently is due to ship today, but we shall see!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lorelei, it has followed the same pattern as before - just shifting one day, so currently is due to ship today, but we shall see!

Please keep us posted, I have everything crossed it goes out today!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry you are experiencing delays. While it sounds like the delays have been minor thus far, I find it much more frustrating when I cannot get a clear answer. I am certain they do not mean to give you false information, but it can certainly feel otherwise when you are excited to receive your new purchase.

I would suggest calling in and explaining your disappointment and frustration. Be diplomatic and tactful. Ask if they can provide you a firm ship date and ask what the remedy will be if they miss their adjusted target. Perhaps a few percent off the purchase price, or a decent set of earrings or something for the inconvenience.

Document your conversations with specific dates, etc. so you have a good & clear history of what has been happening. If this pattern of missed dates continues to exist, then it becomes necessary to elevate the call and possibly cancel the order, or at least threaten to do so. My guess is while being firm, citing the history and all that, you will be elevated to a priority status.

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
Update (sort of):

So I spoke to Lorraine the Sales Manager yesterday and she was really nice and apologetic but the ultimate conclusion is that my ring is still not ready and that she hopes it will ship today. However again I am able to get no reason for this except that the jeweller is needing longer, but nothing more specific. She assures me that my order is now 'high priority' but I do not feel filled with confidence as this is the fourth new shipping date now.

I shall continue the wait...
*sigh*

I just keeping looking at my stone and setting on the website and remembering that they are beautiful and hopefully will be worth the wait :)

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Norma,
I've ordered from JA a few times over the last couple of years. Before, the stones would arrive somewhere between 3 days to a week depending on where the stone was located but the last stone I ordered took about 3 weeks even though it stated the following day when purchasing. I kept getting emails saying that the stone would be arriving soon but they could not provide a tracking number so how could they know? I was told the stones take longer when coming from Bangladesh? Anyway, when I'd call, they would give me a date (think it will arrive tomorrow!) but its nowhere near educated since they say they don't have tracking for it. It happens though...I purchased mine in March around Easter time and they said the delay was from the holidays in Asia. As far as I know, they don't really have any around that time and I can't image Easter being a big time of diamond sales lol so many theories. Hope it gets to you soon!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update (sort of):

So I spoke to Lorraine the Sales Manager yesterday and she was really nice and apologetic but the ultimate conclusion is that my ring is still not ready and that she hopes it will ship today. However again I am able to get no reason for this except that the jeweller is needing longer, but nothing more specific. She assures me that my order is now 'high priority' but I do not feel filled with confidence as this is the fourth new shipping date now.

I shall continue the wait...
*sigh*

I just keeping looking at my stone and setting on the website and remembering that they are beautiful and hopefully will be worth the wait :)

I'm so sorry, it's incredibly frustrating. I hope behind the scenes that JA are addressing this, hopefully it's just the success of the settings sale that's caused the delays, if so then next time, maybe there are things they can do to ensure orders go out when stated.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @Norma2910! I would be frustrated too. The delay is annoying. Their lack of reasoning and the fact this is your fourth delay is the issue. I deal with various contractors on a daily basis and some try this tactic. I won’t tolerate it. I don’t expect any human to be perfect but I do expect them to be knowledgeable, respectful of my time and to be honest. Otherwise I replace them with trusted partners.

To me, it sounds like they have no idea the issue and just keep saying “tomorrow” to buy more time, keep you on the hook and give you answers they think you want to hear.

How hard would it be to say, “we had unexpected sales volume that accumulated before your order and we are working to serve customers that placed their orders before you; therefore, we expect up to a two week delay but will do our best to beat that”. This allows them to be honest, and give them a realistic window to meet your expectations and hopefully under promise and over deliver. Obviously the time frame should be adjusted for reality but you get the point.

While I can agree increased sales of settings is a revenue success, it isn’t an overall success until those items leave and customers are happy. Balance of work output is equally important to sales revenue.

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
Sorry @Norma2910! I would be frustrated too. The delay is annoying. Their lack of reasoning and the fact this is your fourth delay is the issue. I deal with various contractors on a daily basis and some try this tactic. I won’t tolerate it. I don’t expect any human to be perfect but I do expect them to be knowledgeable, respectful of my time and to be honest. Otherwise I replace them with trusted partners.

To me, it sounds like they have no idea the issue and just keep saying “tomorrow” to buy more time, keep you on the hook and give you answers they think you want to hear.

How hard would it be to say, “we had unexpected sales volume that accumulated before your order and we are working to serve customers that placed their orders before you; therefore, we expect up to a two week delay but will do our best to beat that”. This allows them to be honest, and give them a realistic window to meet your expectations and hopefully under promise and over deliver. Obviously the time frame should be adjusted for reality but you get the point.

While I can agree increased sales of settings is a revenue success, it isn’t an overall success until those items leave and customers are happy. Balance of work output is equally important to sales revenue.

Yes - this is exactly how I feel! Honest communication, even when it is relaying bad news is so much better received than vague disingenuous promises.

So this morning I woke up to an email to say that although my ring has still not been shipped, it had now passed the quality inspection, yay! However they missed the FedEx deadline yesterday.. Apparently the shipping team are coming in specially today to ship my order (not sure I buy that) but I am just relieved that things seemed to have finally progressed somewhat! :)

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this morning I woke up to an email to say that although my ring has still not been shipped, it had now passed the quality inspection, yay! However they missed the FedEx deadline yesterday.. Apparently the shipping team are coming in specially today to ship my order (not sure I buy that) but I am just relieved that things seemed to have finally progressed somewhat! :)

I can understand your frustration, but great news that you now have a (hopefully!) firm shipping date!

And even better news that it’s shipping FedEx - they’ve been very efficient when I’ve received parcels before and contact you as soon as they get the shipment details so you can pre-pay taxes and avoid delays. USPS handing over to ParcelForce on the other hand is a total disaster on hitting the UK.....

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand your frustration, but great news that you now have a (hopefully!) firm shipping date!

And even better news that it’s shipping FedEx - they’ve been very efficient when I’ve received parcels before and contact you as soon as they get the shipment details so you can pre-pay taxes and avoid delays. USPS handing over to ParcelForce on the other hand is a total disaster on hitting the UK.....
:lol-2: I’m just in the midst of this, Royal Mail has notified me by POST about the fees, adding several days onto the whole process plus they can only deliver on weekdays! Finally getting my PP tiny purchase on Monday......

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YoungPapa

Just to draw your attention to this thread.:wavey:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol-2: I’m just in the midst of this, Royal Mail has notified me by POST about the fees, adding several days onto the whole process plus they can only deliver on weekdays! Finally getting my PP tiny purchase on Monday......

Oh tell me about it, Royal Mail and their delightful custom fees cards.....:roll

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Norma2910, I am so happy to hear things seemed to have progressed. But I'm not sure I would put much stock in "the special delivery team". I'm wondering how much effort does it really take to get this done and why they need such a team to ensure it happens? But you are overseas so perhaps it's just them not wanting to screw something up, although I've shipped overseas myself and it's not really that difficult.

Like many others on here, I like FedEx the best for both domestic and international shipments. In my opinion, better than UPS and much better than DHS. I wouldn't even consider USPS for such a purchase if that tells you how much I dislike them, lol -- although, for non-critical domestic shipments they have their purpose I suppose.

Definitely keep us updated. Everyone likes a happy ending. :cool2:

PS - Assuming the ring does ship and all goes as planned, do not forget to call JA afterwards and let them know about your experience. Again, I would encourage you to be diplomatic, but they need to know you were frustrated, why and how they could have improved the process. Maybe they will give you something for it, maybe not. But at least informing them gives them an opportunity to listen and take action so others may not have to suffer through the same bad customer service.

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, so good news at last! The ring shipped on Saturday and is due to arrive tomorrow (hopefully) so I have spoken to FedEx about paying the customs in advance and am awaiting the invoice from the customs team now. Not used FedEx before - but they have been super helpful so far which is great.

@Snowdrop13 that sounds frustrating to say the least!! Hope that you get your delivery soon :)

@sledge Yes I agree, I will definitely give them a call to feed back on my experiences with this order. As a first time customer with JA, I don't know whether or not I would use them again at this point - though I am hoping that the arrival of my ring will cheer me up! :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news, keep us posted and we can't wait to see it!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear this @Norma2910. I suspect when you get your new sparkly in front of you, the shipping delay and anxiety will subside. Calling back in to share your experience will (hopefully) help them to improve their process.

A few years back I custom built a house that I designed myself. I searched out builders, did interviews, etc. The builder I picked was a small custom builder with a good reputation. There was a bank of windows in the kitchen he re-did 4x before it was right. I'm pretty sure at one point it was a mutual feeling to strangle one another. The point to the story is we worked through the issue, the windows got installed correctly and in the big scheme of things that was a small speed bump. At the closing table, we shook hands and both walked away happy. To this day, I still recommend them. Not because they were perfect, but because they stepped up and worked through this issue and other minor issues we had on-site. Regardless of the intensity, they were focused on doing the right thing and building a quality product so I overlooked a few mistakes along the way.

I hope you can report a similar story with JA one day. Post some pics of the bling bling when it arrives. :cool2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear this @Norma2910. I suspect when you get your new sparkly in front of you, the shipping delay and anxiety will subside. Calling back in to share your experience will (hopefully) help them to improve their process.

A few years back I custom built a house that I designed myself. I searched out builders, did interviews, etc. The builder I picked was a small custom builder with a good reputation. There was a bank of windows in the kitchen he re-did 4x before it was right. I'm pretty sure at one point it was a mutual feeling to strangle one another. The point to the story is we worked through the issue, the windows got installed correctly and in the big scheme of things that was a small speed bump. At the closing table, we shook hands and both walked away happy. To this day, I still recommend them. Not because they were perfect, but because they stepped up and worked through this issue and other minor issues we had on-site. Regardless of the intensity, they were focused on doing the right thing and building a quality product so I overlooked a few mistakes along the way.

I hope you can report a similar story with JA one day. Post some pics of the bling bling when it arrives. :cool2:

Blimey!:-o

So what do you do apart from jumping out of planes, ably assisting others with their diamond purchases and designing houses, you are an interesting gentleman my dear Sledge!:wavey: If you're happy to answer of course, no pressure!

Last edited:

Norma2910

Rough_Rock
Premium
So, the ring arrived in the country yesterday and I contacted Fed Ex 5 times yesterday to try and pay the taxes that were due and each time was told that the invoice would be emailed to me imminently. I arranged for my mother-in-law to be at my house this morning ready to accept the delivery. Then the last person I spoke to at Fed Ex said that because I hadn't paid my customs in time the ring couldn't be released until Wednesday now. Needless to say, i was so frustrated and upset as I had been trying to pay my customs all day and after the delay from James Allen (I know that is not fed Ex's fault), I was starting to lose hope.

My husband took pity on me and made a stern call to Fed Ex, spending 30 mins speaking to different people and supervisors and eventually managed to get the customs paid and was promised that the ring would still arrive this morning (Tues) before 12!!

Had a message from my mother-in-law at 08:05 to say it has arrived!!!!! I haven't asked her to open it as we haven't told anyone about changing my rings yet as I think in the UK it is quite unconventional and I feel that my in-laws in particular may not understand...so that is a job for when we all get together on Friday..

But ANYWAY - the ring has come and I now have the excrutiating wait at work until I can go home and see it, so excited!! :D thank you all for providing me with somewhere to vent and for your encouragement and support - I will be back later with pictures :D!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results