shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen setting options: would like some input!

jonsey

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have decided on the following stone. It checked out as eye clean, extremely brilliant, lots of fire, great idealscope (except for the inclusions). Best of all, they said it was borderline I in color, although it was rated J. 8.43mm diameter, so a nice sized diamond. I realize I could potentially get something cleaner, perhaps as brilliant if I get lucky, but they checked their noted, it had been set up for comparison against 6 other stones and always come out on top in terms of performance. For me, that is enough, gotta compromise somewhere, and it sounds like I am not compromising on performance or color or size with this one. 2.27ct, AGS ideal, J, SI2.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.27-carat-j-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-284082

Next step is the setting! Any sort of gold is out. Has to be platinum or perhaps white gold. And I have no idea. She said "I will let you pick, and I will love anything you get me". I am maxing out on the diamond, so I really want to keep the setting around $1500. It can always be changed later.

First off, her finger size is 5.5, skin tone is Scandinavian. Some people mention body type for "wearing" a certain type of ring, she is 5 foot 9 and a size 4. I would describe her style as "perfectly polished/understated/preppy". The only jewelry she wears is a stainless steel Rolex and a strand of Tiffany pearls. She would appreciate something either classic or modern, I believe.

I also toyed with the idea of buying the cheapest 14k gold white setting they offer, so we could pick out a real setting together. That way, all bases are covered.

I don't expect someone to "choose" a setting for me of course, just please give me some ideas that would look great with that diamond. Thank you in advance.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think this is the best option. its their version of tthe Tiffany setting. Its only $300 more than their budget setting in platinum and sooooo much nicer in quality. The way you describe her she sounds like a tiffany solitaire girl, and sense she wants you to pick it out, I wouldn't get a tempory setting, as she might get sentimental about the first ring you present her with

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-handmade-item-2426

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1425201858|3840062 said:
I actually think this is the best option. its their version of tthe Tiffany setting. Its only $300 more than their budget setting in platinum and sooooo much nicer in quality. The way you describe her she sounds like a tiffany solitaire girl, and sense she wants you to pick it out, I wouldn't get a tempory setting, as she might get sentimental about the first ring you present her with

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-handmade-item-2426

Yep better choice...

jonsey

Rough_Rock
Great, thank you! Anything that would look classic that also perhaps would have side stones/pave? Not sure if that would detract from the beautiful diamond I have picked out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably stick with the classic Tiffany-style setting based on your description of her. Lets the main diamond be the focus, and it gives incredible versatility with wedding/anniversary band stacking. There's something so elegant about a solitaire with either a plain gold wedding band or a diamond band, and you can really 'see' both rings as separate pieces.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be the voice of dissent, because I generally really dislike the tiffany setting. It's squat and chunky.

I have the James Allen version of the cartier 1895 with graduated side stones and think it is a million times more elegant, as well as a lot less common than a plain 6 prong. They scale the setting to the size of your stone, and I think it is super pretty.

It also allows a band to sit flush, they make a matching band, or I wear mine with a cartier trinity. My stone is much smaller but I think it's just a much more distinctive setting.

image_3100.jpg

here is the setting. http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41126

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1425234865|3840274 said:
I'll be the voice of dissent, because I generally really dislike the tiffany setting. It's squat and chunky.

I have the James Allen version of the cartier 1895 with graduated side stones and think it is a million times more elegant, as well as a lot less common than a plain 6 prong. They scale the setting to the size of your stone, and I think it is super pretty.

It also allows a band to sit flush, they make a matching band, or I wear mine with a cartier trinity. My stone is much smaller but I think it's just a much more distinctive setting.

image_3100.jpg

here is the setting. http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41126

Do you mind sharing the color of your center stone? I specifically didn't suggest this one as I fear the large melee will be noticeably different than his j center stone. But if you have a similar color do tell, as I love that setting.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
The center is an F, but they will use lower color melee if you ask. I know this has h/vs2 melee as it is and they could probably source I or J if you were willing to wait. I don't know that it would really show a difference to a J stone set in platinum. This setting is 14k white, btw.

jonsey

Rough_Rock
kb1gra|1425236359|3840288 said:
The center is an F, but they will use lower color melee if you ask. I know this has h/vs2 melee as it is and they could probably source I or J if you were willing to wait. I don't know that it would really show a difference to a J stone set in platinum. This setting is 14k white, btw.

Interesting! I like that one too. And even though this is a J, it faces up borderline I (according to the inspection) so I should be OK, correct?

How large is the center stone? Beautiful ring!

What happens with 14k white gold when the plating wears off? Is that something that can be re-applied locally? It wouldn't make sense to ship and insure a ring back and forth to JA just to take advantage of the free lifetime plating guarantee.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
You can replate locally for a small fee (here it's around $40) or you have the budget to order platinum which would just need repolishing.

If you let the plating wear off the ring will go from stark chrome white to an off white/cream color. I actually prefer the color of unplated white so I am waiting for this to wear off (the ring is brand new) then I will have the remnants removed and just not replate it. Those are all options for you. I didn't really have the platinum budget for this ring but in retrospect I should have just gotten the platinum mounting-- I didn't realize I would like it as much as I do.

ETA: the center is a .81 - just over 6mm diameter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results