shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Saga

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
In the James Allen 25% off thread I compared a 0.5ctw pair of preset lab earrings with a 0.75ctw pair. I had planned to keep the smaller pair because the posts on the larger pair were bent/crooked and I didn't want to deal with having them repaired, but my heart really wanted the larger pair, so I did end up sending them for repair. I know that bent posts aren't a huge deal, but while "only" lab diamond prices, these were still expensive to me and I wanted them to start out as they were intended to be.

I stressed to two on-line chat reps that I wanted the same stones back. The cuts on the stones I received were great - beautiful arrow patterning. I am admittedly picky so I told them I wanted the same stones, just with new settings. They came back today, and they are not the same. One of them still looks good so could be the same, but the other is crap. Just a big mushy circle in the center, no arrows at all. I reached out to customer service and they told me that there was no note that the earrings were switched, but they said it is "possible". Going forward they aren't sure what to do for me. Basically said I could exchange but who knows if I will be happy with the new set? Apparently there is no way to get back the pair I sent back. And my return window is only for a few more days.

They are having a manager reach out to me over the phone tomorrow. I need someone to talk me down, am I being absolutely crazy? I know that these are $550 earrings, not $2k+ earrings. I also know that you take your chances with present studs. But I'm so disappointed because the cut on the other pair that I had was wonderful and I only wanted the posts straightened out. Cut is super important to me, and whether that's rational or not for earrings this size, that is how I feel. I would not have kept these from the beginning if this was the cut I received the first time. I want these to work out because my ears are small and this is a good size and you can't build earrings this small in lab stones from JA, but at this point I'm just starting to feel gross about the whole transaction.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry you are going through this. Personally, I would not keep the earrings. You should be happy with your purchase regardless of price.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a total poo
so sorry its all turned to custard

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! I agree with what has been said, I would not keep the earrings if they bothered me that much. This is exactly how I felt about my Lightbox pendant. Sure, it was “cheap” and the color was nice, but the cut was so horrific to me and I could not look past it.

I know to some they are just “labs” and you are already getting them at a fraction of the earth mined cost, there are just some things that cannot be compromised.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry this happened! I hope speaking to the manager today can help get the original stones to you, but without any notes or info on their end I’m not sure they’d even have a way of knowing which stones those are.

I would communicate what you said in the section I quoted below. If an exchange is the only option they can offer, I would want to see pictures before they’re sent to ensure I was comfortable with the cut.

The 25% sale is up again so if this transaction feels tainted and the return window is stressing you, you might consider sending your current pair back and starting anew with an order where you ask for pictures up front. Just my two cents because I think at the end of the day you would enjoy having nice earrings in this size.

Please keep us posted how this resolves!

I'm so disappointed because the cut on the other pair that I had was wonderful and I only wanted the posts straightened out. Cut is super important to me, and whether that's rational or not for earrings this size, that is how I feel. I would not have kept these from the beginning if this was the cut I received the first time. I want these to work out because my ears are small and this is a good size and you can't build earrings this small in lab stones from JA

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the validation everyone. It's especially frustrating because when I asked if I would get the same stones back I was assured that since this was a repair and not an exchange that of course I would get the same stones back. As if it was crazy to assume they would do anything other than just fix them. No call yet and only a few hours left in the business day here so we'll see. Might just have to return them, start over and cross my fingers.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Just an update, the manager called me and apologized. She stated that for something like that it's more cost effective to just replace them than repair them. Which I totally understand, but I do feel misled. Maybe they thought that the average consumer would not be able to tell. Little did they know I'm a PS consumer! She said she will address it with the reps I talked to (wondering if they actually keep record of the conversations because I have no idea who I talked to).

Anyway, gonna give it one last shot at having them replaced and she has requested well cut stones. I'll have 72 hours to decide once I receive them. Fingers crossed I get a good set and can just put this all to rest!

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Decisions_Decisions, what was the name of the manager you spoke to? I ordered a single stud earring and need to tell them to use a well cut stone too.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Just an update, the manager called me and apologized. She stated that for something like that it's more cost effective to just replace them than repair them. Which I totally understand, but I do feel misled. Maybe they thought that the average consumer would not be able to tell. Little did they know I'm a PS consumer! She said she will address it with the reps I talked to (wondering if they actually keep record of the conversations because I have no idea who I talked to).

Anyway, gonna give it one last shot at having them replaced and she has requested well cut stones. I'll have 72 hours to decide once I receive them. Fingers crossed I get a good set and can just put this all to rest!

I’m crossing my fingers for you!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
No resolution to my issue yet 5 weeks later. I was finally able to get the manager to call me again last week and she said stones with good light performance have been found and the pair is actually 0.79ctw instead of 0.75, so that's a plus. But they still not have been set and shipped a week later. This has definitely been a pain considering I ordered these earrings in July and still have nothing to enjoy. Really hoping they're nice when they finally come!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results