shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Lab Diamond OVAL- appreciate your opinion PLEASE!!

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Hi! What is your opinion on this diamond? I already purchased it before finding this great website! Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.24.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 11.22.30 AM.png

DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE:Oval
CARAT WEIGHT:1.00
COLOR:F
CLARITY:VS1
POLISH:Excellent
SYMMETRY:Excellent
FLUORESCENCE:None
L/W (MM):7.77*5.76
L/W RATIO:1.35

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's odd. The picture on the report does not match the stone. Everything else seems like it matches though. I would ask JA if they are
sure that its the correct picture with the correct report. Dont know why the picture on the report would be different.

Anyway, ask the mods to move this to the lab diamonds forum by using the "Report Concern" button on the lower-left corner of
your post.

Please tell us what your budget is in case we see anything else we think fits the bill.

As far as this stone, more nice facets do show up as you turn the stone but straight on it looks like I'm seeing a lot of "mushy" area. The stone
is showing a slightly blue color in the pic...not sure if that is making it look worse than it is or what. JA does have a good return policy in case
you receive it and find out its not to your liking. Let us know your budget though in case we find anything else that might be worth a look.

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Thank you SOOO MUCH for getting back to me! How do you know that the diamond does not match the report? Curious bc I just messaged James Allen and they said it matched.. I hope I am not missing anything!! :( My budget is $3,000.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you see the arrow outlined in red? That arrow is straight across the middle and comes from a stone that is cut
with 6 or 8 mains. (this is the picture from your IGI report)
Capture.PNG

Here is an 8 main example that would have straight arrows through the center...
Here is the pavilion on it
Capture.PNG

The stone you posted the link to looks to be an 8 main OFFSET where the arrows come out at an angle (instead of straight) like this one
(not a well-cut stone ...just using it as an example)
Here is what the pavilion looks like on it
Capture.PNG
Here is the stone you posted. I've circled the arrows. They come off at an angle.
Capture.PNG

Hope all that makes sense.

Edit ...this one has nice light return

Last edited:

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks so much for looking into that! I reached out again and they said it is because the diamond is horizontal in the picture.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks so much for looking into that! I reached out again and they said it is because the diamond is horizontal in the picture.

Unfortunately, that does not explain it.

Let me see if I can get @Rockdiamond to comment. Maybe he can explain why (or why not) that picture can belong to that stone.

@Rockdiamond can you clear this up?

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, that does not explain it.

Can you tell I'm a newbie? Lol, can you suggest what I can say to James Allen to ensure it is the same diamond

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @tyty.
The picture on the report and the video at JA are not of the same diamond.
Having that said, the report number can be seen on the girdle if you super-zoom.

I do like the appearance of the diamond. Unfortunately, when there is an error, the accuracy of the whole report becomes questionable. I personally would not buy a diamond with such report.

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
I agree with @tyty.
The picture on the report and the video at JA are not of the same diamond.
Having that said, the report number can be seen on the girdle if you super-zoom.

I do like the appearance of the diamond. Unfortunately, when there is an error, the accuracy of the whole report becomes questionable. I personally would not buy a diamond with such report.

Thank you! Uh oh though. Do the numbers not match? I contacted JA and they had no idea and denied this.

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
FROM JAMES ALLEN:
Our videos are at 20x magnification, to read the laser inscription at least 40x magnification is needed. Once a diamond is ordered we do have a GIA certified graduate gemologist inspect the diamond and confirm it matches both the grading certificate and the video prior to mounting and shipping.

If there were any variances we would reach out and help you make a new selection and we want to ensure you get the exact diamond you selected.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that @flyingpig is saying that the number on the girdle DOES match the number on the report. The issue would then be that the picture on the report is not of the correct stone which makes you want to question the report.

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Oh Ok, I'm a little nervous now to get. I hope the diamond does match. James Allen keeps ensuring me that it does

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers on the girdle and report match. JA is correct on this.

But "they said it is because the diamond is horizontal in the picture" is a complete BS.

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
The numbers on the girdle and report match. JA is correct on this.

But "they said it is because the diamond is horizontal in the picture" is a complete BS.

Oh no!!! Do you think I should continue pursuing this? A person on here said she recently got her diamond from JA with no certificate... seems off...

Hello all! New user here, registered just to weigh in here.

From my point of view, this might not necessarily be an issue on JA's side exactly. Previously, whilst I was shopping around for Oval lab diamonds as well, I was comparing various IGI certificates side by side, as you do. In that process, I noticed that the diamond image in one particular certificate doesn't seem to match what I'm looking at on the website. Curious, I tried to see if that was the case for the other certificates and guess what, all the different IGI certificates had the exact same oval diamond image, which does not correspond to the actual diamond.

For example, here's two lab oval diamonds i've just pulled up from James Allen's website:

Exhibit A: 0.64 E VS2 Oval, IGI Cert
Exhibit B: 0.62 E VS1 Oval, IGI Cert

See the images in both certs? This got me into thinking maybe IGI uses 1 default image for a particular category of diamond certs, but should JA have caught it too? idk. Personally, I purchased my diamond knowing this image discrepancy, because i know the certificate itself is correct based on the inscribed IGI report number on the girdle.

Granted, my anecdote is for smaller diamonds (< 1 carat) cause from what i know larger diamonds have a more detailed report? But maybe what you're seeing might be a similar issue? Thoughts?

Last edited:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock

From my point of view, this might not necessarily be an issue on JA's side exactly. Previously, whilst I was shopping around for Oval lab diamonds as well, I was comparing various IGI certificates side by side, as you do. In that process, I noticed that the diamond image in one particular certificate doesn't seem to match what I'm looking at on the website. Curious, I tried to see if that was the case for the other certificates and guess what, all the different IGI certificates had the exact same oval diamond image, which does not correspond to the actual diamond.

For example, here's two lab oval diamonds i've just pulled up from James Allen's website:

See the images in both certs? This got me into thinking maybe IGI uses 1 default image for a particular category of diamond certs, but should JA have caught it too? idk. Personally, I purchased my diamond knowing this image discrepancy, because i know the certificate itself is correct based on the inscribed IGI report number on the girdle.

Granted, my anecdote is for smaller diamonds (< 1 carat) cause from what i know larger diamonds have a more detailed report? But maybe what you're seeing might be a similar issue? Thoughts?

I found the same thing when shopping for round diamonds- they seemed to have two generic round brilliant rounds they would put on the cert, or at least the digital version.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good to know about the IGI and default image.
This confirms that JAs explanation is a complete BS. Lol.

OP. If you think the diamond is fairly priced, go for it. I personally do not buy lab created diamonds. But I do like the appearance of yours.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @SecretDiamondShopper that solves the mystery.

I think that is very deceptive on IGIs part. Why even put an image on there if its not the right stone? Why go to the effort to say that the "Photo Enlarged",
which is pretty obvious, but then not to say that is a generic photo which isn't as obvious. {{{Shakes head in bewilderment}}}

And JA definitely BSing on explanation. Since they look at a lot of certs every day you would think they might pick up on this but NO. To be honest
there are a lot of Pricescopers that know more about diamonds then the JA sales associates. I do wish they had better training!

DevonRex

Rough_Rock
Have you checked out Distinctive Gems for a MM oval. Jon has very detailed info on every diamond MM or Natural he has and will answer any question. I appreciated his research to help me pick the right oval! I agree with the other members that something seems amiss with the JA ovals.

LadybugTN

Rough_Rock
Have a look at Distinctive Gem’s ovals. You can’t go wrong working with Jon and I guarantee he will deliver a better stone at a better price! His level of detail is incredible. If you look on his YouTube channel (Rhino’s School of Rock) you will see a video he did for me to help me decide between two different emerald cut stones. He’s the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results