shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Lab Diamond - appreciate opinion on cut and light return

lostinblue

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys think of this rock re: the cut and light leakage. Unfortunately, we didn't see the ASET image. Is this important to determine its brilliance?
We were happy with the proportions - it seemed to fall in the super ideal range, but just looking at the picture below, it seems to be a bit dark in the middle, so just a bit worried.
Any advice or reassurance is appreciated!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.35-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-8895579

1589592382391.png

1589592400110.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that this is one of the best cut lab diamonds I have seen. It would be nice to have an ASET, but since it sounds like they don't provide that, I think it's a nice choice!

This one looks good, but obviously I can't see it's report to know the measurements.

Last edited:

lostinblue

Rough_Rock
I will say that this is one of the best cut lab diamonds I have seen. It would be nice to have an ASET, but since it sounds like they don't provide that, I think it's a nice choice!

This one looks good, but obviously I can't see it's report to know the measurements.

Thanks for the reassurance, definitely makes us feel better. Any tips on what to look out for when we receive the rock re the cut? Our concern was that it looks a little dark from pictures and a little bluer than the others

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there is much you can tell unless you buy an idealscope or ASET scope and learn how to use it. I did feel the stone I linked had less darkness in the center, but that might just be something related to the photography in your stone. I'd just recommend looking at it in various indoor and outdoor lighting to make sure it is bright all over the top of the stone.

lostinblue

Rough_Rock

This one looks pretty good too I think - attached HCA 52AAD7F2-A96B-4B48-9809-BE52325AE9B9.jpeg

Wonder if this would be better re cut based on the HCA score?

Also I’ve learned a bit more about lab diamonds and the way it’s made - is there any way I can tell whether the lab diamonds are done through the HPHT or CVD process?

Attachments

• 0FCE78B4-FE53-49E4-854B-904F5A0FB029.jpeg
    0FCE78B4-FE53-49E4-854B-904F5A0FB029.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 37

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one looks pretty good too I think - attached HCA 52AAD7F2-A96B-4B48-9809-BE52325AE9B9.jpeg

Wonder if this would be better re cut based on the HCA score?

Also I’ve learned a bit more about lab diamonds and the way it’s made - is there any way I can tell whether the lab diamonds are done through the HPHT or CVD process?

Hca doesn't give info about better or worse. All scores under 2 are potentially worth considering, and over 2 are generally considered "no". But a score of 1 vs 1.9 is all the same.

The cert will tell you how the lab stone was made. For the one you just posted, the cert says its cvd.

lostinblue

Rough_Rock
Hca doesn't give info about better or worse. All scores under 2 are potentially worth considering, and over 2 are generally considered "no". But a score of 1 vs 1.9 is all the same.

The cert will tell you how the lab stone was made. For the one you just posted, the cert says its cvd.

Thanks - I tried looking for it in the certificate for the original stone I posted, but I couldn’t see it. Could you point out where I can see this info on the cert?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results