shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen heated sapphire

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
I have fallen in love with a large 14 carat blue sapphire from James Allen. It has been heated but they do not provide much more detail as far as the heat treatment. Is James Allen a reputable gemstone vendor? I know they are for diamonds but havnt heard any feedback as far as gemstones. It is priced at 20k. I’d love any thoughts or suggestions! 06B7517E-224D-4A2E-87C6-0BF6B640B39D.jpeg

Attachments

• 1CC1683A-D167-4395-B66C-699CE646F985.jpeg
    1CC1683A-D167-4395-B66C-699CE646F985.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 5B96FE2C-79F8-44C5-826C-51CC93FFC9F0.png
    5B96FE2C-79F8-44C5-826C-51CC93FFC9F0.png
    376.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, it's rather dark. I've only purchased settings from them, but others have purchased stones. Did you already buy it? I don't see it on their website.

What exactly is it that appeals to you? Maybe we can help find a stone.

Tubbsmalone

Rough_Rock
Well, it's rather dark. I've only purchased settings from them, but others have purchased stones. Did you already buy it? I don't see it on their website.

What exactly is it that appeals to you? Maybe we can help find a stone.

I have not purchased it. I do prefer a darker sapphire. And I love the size. I have large fingers so I was looking for 10+ carats. It’s on hold so they took it off the website which is why you don’t see it. I don’t mind dark but I do want it to be translucent. I would love to pair it with some hefty side diamonds so keeping the main stone under 20 is my goal I’m order to fit my overall budget. I’d love some suggestions on where to look for a stone like this that may be better priced or have more of a selection at least.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Something will have to give if you want a big sapphire with diamond sides. You're going to have to up your budget or lower your sapphire weight. A 10+ ct dark blue sapphire that's good quality will take your entire budget, and then some.
The one you posted is dark and dull. You might be able to get a 10mm sapphire within your budget. Here are some examples of sizes and prices:
This one from Gary @Finewater is lovely, but is over budget. https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p474/5.13_ct_Madagascar_Blue_Sapphire.html
Diamonds by Lauren, approx 9x8: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/402ct-blue-cushion-sapphire-r9112
Pearlman's is all over the place: https://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/ (Use the drop-downs to search your parameters.)

You might want to try Inken at Enhoerning Jewelry, since this is an uncommon size : https://www.instagram.com/enhoerningjewelry/

Also Adamant https://www.instagram.com/adamantjewelrysf/?hl=en

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
I'm a newbie to sapphires, but I was just shopping for one and that looks extremely dark to me. Try Diamonds by Lauren.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get a piece of black onyx for much less, and it will look virtually identical. It won’t be translucent, but when a stone is that dark, translucency does not make much difference. Nearly $1500/ct for an almost black stone, heated, is way too much to spend. Black spinel comes in huge sizes, and is very affordable with excellent luster. If you like such dark stones, that’s another option, and they’re untreated.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Maybe go and have a look at the Natural Sapphire Company. In the past they have had some bad reviews but more recently seem to have sorted everything out.
If nothing else it will allow you to look at all shades and cuts in comparison plus heated vs non-heated.

This particular one is a little over budget and maybe under size for you but some are cut shallower and will face up much larger then other with a deep cut

PipersMom

Rough_Rock
Maybe go and have a look at the Natural Sapphire Company. In the past they have had some bad reviews but more recently seem to have sorted everything out.
If nothing else it will allow you to look at all shades and cuts in comparison plus heated vs non-heated.

This particular one is a little over budget and maybe under size for you but some are cut shallower and will face up much larger then other with a deep cut

Is this stone considered a good buy?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That particular stone has its own issues: banding, shallow cut and a few other minor things but at least it is not dark and comes with a GIA lab memo. For $20K, if I had to choose between JA and NSC, I'd rather purchase the NSC sapphire.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I would never buy a coloured stone from James Allen. I think the quality is generally poor and the price inflated. As a rule I’d stick to diamonds from diamond vendors.
The stone you posted will look black in almost all lights. The only thing it has going for it is the size IMO. You could get a hundred better stones within a half hour google. Please read up on sapphires before you buy, I’d hate to see you blow this kind of budget on something so unremarkable.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If you prefer a teal blue colour Eragem have a lot already set

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that budget, I would see what Inken at Enhoerning can source for you -- prioritizing attributes that are most important to you ("it must be a cushion!" etc.).

It won't be a 10-ct Thai that looks like onyx. Even cut shallow, it is virtually black. The only plus for that stone is its weight -- and it's arguably too big.

I think you will need objective professional help to keep from making a mistake.

I know we each like what we like, and back in the day the marketing mantra for Thai sapphire was "the darker the better," but you can do so much better for your budget.

PipersMom

Rough_Rock
This is what a large sapphire (9.2ct) within your budget could look like. Please don’t settle for James Allen 4C80C7AB-07F2-46D3-90C4-24CEF53F7EF9.jpeg

Beautiful stone-may I ask where you found it?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@PipersMom It's from an IG seller, CeylonSapphireGems.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Australian and Thai sapphires can be super dark. They are not worth nearly as much as mid blue stones from other regions such as ceylon, Madagascar and Burma. This is not a good buy. Finewatergems has one on sale at the moment for <20 k, it's a little expensive even after discount but it's a better buy than this by a long shot.

PipersMom

Rough_Rock
This is what a large sapphire (9.2ct) within your budget could look like. Please don’t settle for James Allen 4C80C7AB-07F2-46D3-90C4-24CEF53F7EF9.jpeg

Could you please tell me what the price is on that stone? I can’t view it on IG. Thanks,

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
You’d need to contact the seller directly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results