shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen cushions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
I know Mark at ERD and Jonathan at GOG are much referred to as the go-to guys for cushions, but I am wondering if anyone knows who at James Allen (if anyone) can pick winners as well. JA has a number of cushions that look good in their magnified photos but I was hoping to speak with someone there who has a rep for picking winners in the chunky cushion category. Thanks for any input!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
There isn''t anyone there IMO that has the skill of Mark and Jon. You just need to figure out what look you like and start to weed through the stacks...

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I started to "weed" through the online diamonds when I first started looking. I spoke to someone at James Allen, as well, and they are just not as knowledgeable about the specifics of cushions, as Mark at ERD or Jonathan at GOG.

But, it depends on what you are looking for - if you are looking for the "antique style" and you want to weed through on your own, I would read this http://vimeo.com/diamondinfo.

Or, if you are looking for the more modern cut, that is a "takeoff" of the round brilliant, the folks at James Allen may be able to help - and these are also more common. They will focus more on diamond basics cut, color, clarity, etc. vs. cushion specifics.

A starting point could be to look at the certs and notice that the Cushion Modified Brilliant is the modern style, and the Cushion Brilliant *can* be the antique style, but it depends on the pavillion facet pattern...amongst other things. Also, cushions can take on many shapes - square, rectangular, rounder, oval.

Good look on your search...and if you see something you like, post the pics and specs and people here can help you evaluate.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Bottom line - you can get a beautiful cushion from any of the vendors. If you are lazy, stick to Mark and Jon. If you are willing to do the bulk of the work and reasonably knowledgeable, then you can give James Allen a try. Each one has their pros (and cons).

My personal thinking is ..

Go to Mark -> if you want someone who has great eyes and great prices
Go to Jon -> if you are more scientific and want analysis, great photos, and the best videos
Go to James Allen -> if you want to search yourself using a great website and photos for a large inventory

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 10:14:59 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Bottom line - you can get a beautiful cushion from any of the vendors. If you are lazy, stick to Mark and Jon. If you are willing to do the bulk of the work and reasonably knowledgeable, then you can give James Allen a try. Each one has their pros (and cons).

My personal thinking is ..

Go to Mark -> if you want someone who has great eyes and great prices
Go to Jon -> if you are more scientific and want analysis, great photos, and the best videos
Go to James Allen -> if you want to search yourself using a great website and photos for a large inventory
Well put, CharmyPoo!! I wish I could be as succinct and sum it up so well!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results