shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Buys Diamond and Jacks up Price $1,300...

GiantMeteor2016

Rough_Rock

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's sketchy about that? A trade dealer found a diamond they believed they could make profit on, came to an agreement on price with the dealer selling the diamond and added it to their stock at a price they think they can move it for. The entire industry, any trade industry, does this. If one trade member thinks they have the clientèle for an item, they purchase it from another trade member. My cousin does this with cars. Same principle.

If this has gone down as you worked out that it has, JA stands to make a 17.5% profit assuming they don't later discount the diamond themselves and assuming they paid the price you see online. That's a reasonable profit, but not exactly what one would call high for a retail environment considering that they had to lay out over $6K on the stone and be able to do that until it sells.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is the exact same diamond, if you use the export feature on B2C website you can see details for diamonds, including those that are out of stock.

I don't see anything wrong, just a business doing business! Prices do fluctuate on JA for diamonds that are not sold for a while and they do get updated every now again. If it can sell at that price, it might as well try, then will lower if there's no luck.

It is however interesting just to see how much more margin JA collects and I have felt they have become slightly more expensive relative to before. This is just a hunch though.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't speak about any particular company, but in general, looking at a hypothetical situation of different prices on different sites...
The most likely cause it that the owner of the stone raised the price, which causes the sites listing it to raise the selling price.
Also- there's cases where the actual owner of a given stone does not realize that a number of sites are offering their stone- and it's possible only one site has the right to sell it. If it's brought the the attention of the cutter who owns the diamond they can take steps to protect it.
I have noticed that some of the sites with the very lowest prices are sometimes not able to even procure a stone they are offering it - and it might be due to a price error.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Different vendors offer different upgrading policy, customer service, and pricing.
2. JA offers ~100,000 different stones and settings and other jewelry. Listing error can happen; in fact, it is not rare. I, myself, is a beneficiary of such error, in a good way. LOL.
3. JA did not "BUY" this particular diamond in question. If they really wanted to jack up the price of a diamond, they already have a better and more elegant way; True Hearts.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I wouldn't want to speak about any specific company either but I've seen with my own eyes pricing errors with vendors selling virtual inventory. And I'm not saying that this is the situation here mind you.

I've seen situations where online retailers have offered diamonds below their actual cost by mistake. The same stone was sold by another retailer for significantly more because their database was accurate and reflected the correct cost of the diamond.

Best of luck to you

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
b2c has some serious pricing errors in the database.
I am seeing multiple diamonds at 1200 to over 2k under market.
No one can do that.

The JA price is the market price on that stone from what I can see.

I notified Andrey and b2c

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1480471797|4103599 said:
I notified Andrey and b2c

Thanks for the information Karl. I will have our tech guys verify the flow of information to and from PS and B2C and report back here as soon as I know more.

mixprints

Rough_Rock
I don't understand - are you being fussy over catching something and thinking you could have "gotten a deal" or is that the *exact* diamond you've been pining for and was at the top of your list?

I don't think JA did anything wrong here and well, a number of previous replies confirm that better as well.
I am certain if you start a post with budget and an idea of what you are looking for, the helpful people here at PS will gladly help you find something amazing :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results