shape
carat
color
clarity

Jadeite Jade

Mrts511

Rough_Rock
I won an 18kt Jadeite Jade ring at an auction. I don’t know the history of the ring. It has a couple of markings in the band but I have no idea what they are. It kind of looks like symbols. Has anyone seen anything like this before? 1C3ACFCE-1A96-434F-A4A3-31C37479B8D0.jpeg A158C4D2-8D21-4E46-9B77-18F1C549CD26.jpeg 7B7B8E62-64D9-44D5-AD6F-6A10A40AA4A3.jpeg BB903F48-7B29-4E45-993B-411F6EC03DB0.jpeg

Pretty ring! Looks like the manufacturer's hallmark. There should be an "18k" or "750" stamp in there as well.

I can’t make out anything on it. I can’t even find the 18k stamp

The stamp (on the left) looks like a manufacturer's hallmark. It may not be recognizable (sometimes they're simply a design). I can't make out the stamp on the right. Do you have a better photo of that one? If the piece is in fact solid gold, there should be a karatage stamp (though not 100% of the time). Did you try using a loupe? Also, may I ask how much you paid (no worries if you'd rather not share)?

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Love the color of the jade!!

Sorry to hijack your thread!

@Autumn in New England do they always stamp the 18k?

I just checked again all my recent rings are stamped as well as the stock settings but what if they forgot? Or is it an intrinsic part of the process?

I've definitely seen solid gold pieces that were not stamped... these tend to be international, older, vintage, or estate pieces. Your average jeweler should easily be able to test the metal with nitric acid. Today though, in my experience, it's unusual to see a solid gold or platinum piece absent a karatage or parts per thousand stamp. A manufacturer's hallmark should also accompany that stamp. This is all mandated by the National Stamping Act (in the US). The FTC also has "quality mark" procedures that must be followed. They touched on this during my studies at the GIA. :)

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I won an 18kt Jadeite Jade ring at an auction. I don’t know the history of the ring. It has a couple of markings in the band but I have no idea what they are. It kind of looks like symbols. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Yes, I have! I can make out two Chinese characters In your third photo. They are traditional Chinese script, and the characters are lying down at 90 degrees. The characters are 東興, which happens to be the name of my fav traditional bakery in Singapore https://chinatown.sg/shop/tong-heng/
@Autumn in New England is right, 東興 is the name of the Jewellery shop that made the ring. It means Eastern happiness.
Could you take a close up of the other marking? Let’s see if we can decipher that as well.

Mrts511

Rough_Rock
The stamp (on the left) looks like a manufacturer's hallmark. It may not be recognizable (sometimes they're simply a design). I can't make out the stamp on the right. Do you have a better photo of that one? If the piece is in fact solid gold, there should be a karatage stamp (though not 100% of the time). Did you try using a loupe? Also, may I ask how much you paid (no worries if you'd rather not share)?

$325.00

Mrts511

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have! I can make out two Chinese characters In your third photo. They are traditional Chinese script, and the characters are lying down at 90 degrees. The characters are 東興, which happens to be the name of my fav traditional bakery in Singapore https://chinatown.sg/shop/tong-heng/
@Autumn in New England is right, 東興 is the name of the Jewellery shop that made the ring. It means Eastern happiness.
Could you take a close up of the other marking? Let’s see if we can decipher that as well.

Oh cool, thank you . I am posting a pic of the other marking. 14E981E2-A6D2-42B2-8ABE-898F49B42423.jpeg 14E981E2-A6D2-42B2-8ABE-898F49B42423.jpeg

Oh cool, thank you . I am posting a pic of the other marking. 14E981E2-A6D2-42B2-8ABE-898F49B42423.jpeg 14E981E2-A6D2-42B2-8ABE-898F49B42423.jpeg

Hmm I can't quite make that out... perhaps the karatage stamp is also in Chinese? @Crimson? And I just love that you were here to decipher the hallmark, my friend!!

@Mrts511 I believe Crimson meant her favorite bakery was named "Eastern Happiness," which also happens to be the name of the manufacturer. They are unrelated, I'm sure. Unless they offer a complimentary cupcake with every jewelry purchase! :P2

Mrts511

Rough_Rock
Hmm I can't quite make that out... perhaps the karatage stamp is also in Chinese? @Crimson? And I just love that you were here to decipher the hallmark, my friend!!

@Mrts511 I believe Crimson meant her favorite bakery was named "Eastern Happiness," which also happens to be the name of the manufacturer. They are unrelated, I'm sure. Unless they offer a complimentary cupcake with every jewelry purchase! :P2

That one is impossible to decipher

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

Actually yes, my Jeweller On Cheong is a few doors away from Tong Heng Bakery. I do egg tarts and cakes when I visit!
@Mrts511 i didn’t mean that the bakery made your ring :P2 Dongxing (in Mandarin) or Tong Heng (Cantonese) a typical Chinese name for a business - the name is usually something about prosperity, growth, or happiness.

In the second set of pics, I think that I can see the word 金 which means gold in Chinese, The other character is not clear but probably indicates the purity of gold.
Do you know which country the ring is from?

Mrts511

Rough_Rock
Actually yes, my Jeweller On Cheong is a few doors away from Tong Heng Bakery. I do egg tarts and cakes when I visit!
@Mrts511 i didn’t mean that the bakery made your ring :P2 Dongxing (in Mandarin) or Tong Heng (Cantonese) a typical Chinese name for a business - the name is usually something about prosperity, growth, or happiness.

In the second set of pics, I think that I can see the word 金 which means gold in Chinese, The other character is not clear but probably indicates the purity of gold.

No I don’t unfortunately. This auction doesn’t tell you anything other than the stone type and wether it’s gold , the purity of gold or sterling silver. I don’t think they were able to read the markings either. They just said it is 18+ kt gold. I’m assuming they tested it. I had a feeling it was Chinese writing as the markings look like symbols to me. Thanks so much for the info.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

I love Tong Heng for their egg tarts (and Loong Fatt in Balestier Road for their 豆沙饼!)。 And On Cheong has good jadeite pieces (the last time I saw them in 2018)。

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
dun jin
I love Tong Heng for their egg tarts (and Loong Fatt in Balestier Road for their 豆沙饼!)。 And On Cheong has good jadeite pieces (the last time I saw them in 2018)。

Heehee, I am also a Loong Fatt fan (salty variety) :love::love::love:
Sorry @Mrts511 for the thread-hijack :P2

This is absolutely fascinating to watch unfold... :geek2:

That will be fun! I love to bake. We will feature my home made pizzelles!

Yes, pleeeeeease...
drool.gif

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I'm reading with delight! And now I wanna sample these tarts and cakes!

@stracci2000 I wish I could send you some! The tarts are rhombus (or diamond) shaped!, Just right for Jewellery lovers. The tart shell is thin, and the filling is wobbly!
Here’s a video.
Pizelles plus Jewellery sounds like just the thing!
@Autumn in New England I didn’t get pastries today but my new friend Alexander Laut treated me to some wine and chocolate from Basel, and he gave me two books!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
So you think Eastern Happiness is the manufacturer of my ring?

Yes, Tong Heng or Dongxin is the manufacturer. I even tried searching for jewellers with the name Tong Heng or Dongxin. Surprise, there is a jewelller called Tong Heng in Singapore, but it is not an uncommon name for Chinese shops.
If the ring is made in Singapore , it would usually have a number eg 916 for 22 K or 750 for 18K Gold. For pure gold, some Chinese jewellers stamp 足金. Does the character that we cannot really see in the photo look like 足?

Mrts511

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure, maybe lol I tried another photo 2A47210E-1DDF-4CB3-8D2F-73201D30ED85.jpeg 8FE1E429-074E-4FA9-9E54-DEAA992EC219.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’m not sure, maybe lol I tried another photo 2A47210E-1DDF-4CB3-8D2F-73201D30ED85.jpeg 8FE1E429-074E-4FA9-9E54-DEAA992EC219.jpeg

Can you use macro lens to take the pic? This is too blur to make out. Or use a magnifying glass and take the enlarged image.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 I wish I could send you some! The tarts are rhombus (or diamond) shaped!, Just right for Jewellery lovers. The tart shell is thin, and the filling is wobbly!
Here’s a video.
Pizelles plus Jewellery sounds like just the thing!
@Autumn in New England I didn’t get pastries today but my new friend Alexander Laut treated me to some wine and chocolate from Basel, and he gave me two books!

what do they taste like ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results