shape
carat
color
clarity

Jadeite earring quality?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know very little about Jade except that there are many fakes, treated and poor quality ones out there. I'm looking for a decent pair of jade earrings; nothing top notch or flashy but nothing to scoff at either. What do you think of these? Jadeite Earring

I am so tempted.
emsmilep.gif
The fact that it is in pure gold adds to the temptation. I've requested for more info from GemWow but in the meantime, I'd like some other opinions from PS.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Chrono:

I think they''re very pretty....I''d be tempted, too!

The only thing I know for sure about good jadeite is that it should be transluscent...

I do know that Mogok, a highly respected gemologist who posts here frequently, is somehow associated with Gemwow. I suspect that you could trust them them that the stones are as described...

Good luck!
widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not too difficult to ID anything - all it takes is a lab report. If you really want to know what is what.

I wouldn''t know more than how nice any drop of color looks on high carat gold, and there are showing nicely green on my computer.
2.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are very attractive earrings and for $180 bucks...I think you should go for it..

A lab report for the price your paying might not be good economics since the report even if 20-40$ is still about 10-20% of the purchase price of the earrings..

Mogok might be able to give you some insight also..
4.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
The price sounds cheap for jade that green unless the stones are really small. I would suggest to find out if the stones have been color enhanced and the dimensions. It''s hard to tell from the photos, but good jade should be more translucent.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got more information from Gemwow:
1st stone: 5.72x5.52mm
2nd stone: 5.72x5.40mm
One stone is slightly more round and it is hard to see the stone''s depth.
setting: 7.71x7.80x5.15mm
stem length: 11.5mm

It appears that the jades are of a decent size. I''m not expecting top of the line jade but at least something better than the norm sold. I gather the quality appears more than decent from the photographs? Thus worth buying?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I like them, and the price certainly seems reasonable. An added bonus is they''re mounted in 24k gold...

I read somewhere on the gemwow site that all their Burma gems are natural and untreated. Did they mention this when you corresponded with them? You might check with them again to be sure...

The only thing that''s a little weird is that they''re described as "transparent", when obviously they''re not. I think even the finest jade in the world is only "transluscent".

Does Gemwow have a good return policy? If they do, I''d go for it!

Good luck!
widget

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget,
Yes, GW only sells natural and untreated gemstones. They do have a return policy but it''s only 14 days from the date of purchase. A little short for my personal comfort. The transparency or apparent lack of it did bother me a little. I''ll have to ask. Thanks.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Well, It is sure that I know about gemwow.com as I was collaborating with them quite a long time (mainly about Burmese gemstones and crystals)...
Most of the gemwow.com people are my former students. If you want to have some more details about this specific item i advise you to send an email to the website and ask to Anera about the item. She will go to see the owner and have a look at the stone for free... She is a very nice, trustful and devoted person that will do her best to help you.
Now if you want a lab report you can ask the website to send the item to a lab and they will provide you a lab report. You can choose several lab at your convenience.

The thing is that now I''m working full time at AIGS laboratory and I dont have too much the time to help them anymore,... but I''m all the time happy to look at their stones when they have some interesting new items!

All the best,

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I am certainly not an expert, and in fact have not purchased any jade in a very long time(my experience has been from shopping with my mother), but from the pictures I would venture to say that the price is fair, considering the gold setting. It seems to me that it''s very difficult to find a good quality jade these days, and that set looks like it''s relatively good quality jade, if it is in fact real/untreated. A bit hard to say on the ''transparency'' issue until you see them in person, at least that has been my experience, esp as the gold setting completely covers the back of the jade, making it harder to tell.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link, Camelia. I think I''m going ahead to order it. It sure looks promising and if I don''t like it, I can either return it or keep it since it''s relatively inexpensive anyway.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/11/2005 5
6.gif
5:37 PM
Author: flopkins
I am certainly not an expert, and in fact have not purchased any jade in a very long time(my experience has been from shopping with my mother), but from the pictures I would venture to say that the price is fair, considering the gold setting. It seems to me that it''s very difficult to find a good quality jade these days, and that set looks like it''s relatively good quality jade, if it is in fact real/untreated. A bit hard to say on the ''transparency'' issue until you see them in person, at least that has been my experience, esp as the gold setting completely covers the back of the jade, making it harder to tell.
Here''s a beautiful piece of Jade with nice color and good translucency at around 2,ooo per carat...Yummy lucious apple green..
9.gif

jaded.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2000/ct are there for a reason, but jade is quite lovely just about anywhere on the price scale. It''s not common to see that color even if the material is opaque !
Anyway, ''got to love jade well before I knew it can get translucent and that expensive. Can''t wait to see those earrings at work
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results