shape
carat
color
clarity

Jade or Jadeite

mixer_star

Rough_Rock
Hi. My mother is trying to find out how to get a ring with jade or jadeite in it appraised. She lives in WY, but can come down to CO for an appraisal. She's found that most of the people she's talked to at jewelry stores or gem and mineral shows have little knowledge of jade.

She has already gotten a bad opinion on the ring (a quarter oz of gold and a halo of approximately ten point diamonds around a small jade cabochon-I wish I had a picture). The guy (not sure who this was) who originally looked at it said she had "probably $10,000 of diamonds and gold alone". This is part of a family estate, so she didn't buy it, thank goodness.

Does anyone here know who we should take this ring to? I'm about to send her to an antique dealer who sells mainly asian goods. But any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Take some time and buy a Hanneman filter for jadeite. Over at the Gemology Online Forum, you can find threads on how to use them to distinguish dyed jadeite from natural jadeite.

gemdynasty

Rough_Rock
Guangzhou, China have many reputable jade appraisal centres and they will issue certificate to prove the jades are A-grade 100% natural. You can get a UV torchlight which it will tell if the jade has artificial inclusions or colour dye.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results