carat
color
clarity

Jade barrel bead?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooo, ok. I’ll check it out!

Ok, so my budget isn’t large (under 1000) which I know is nothing in the jade world. Still, I hope to get the nicest bead I can afford right? The seller has emailed and said for the budget an unpolished stone is necessary and then after payment, the factory will polish for free??? :confused:
That seems strange to me. Other sellers who might have some stock are ultimatejadeite, this one
https://www.ebay.com/str/jadelosangelesandco I e known people who have purchased from both of these.
Also, here is a new to me seller , no experience with them, but it might be worth further inquiry.
https://www.m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?sid=blue-lavender-jadeite&isRefine=true&_pgn=1
It’s a good idea to ask about what beads they have but aren’t pictured.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

These are beads of the other jade: WWW

The www pages show what can be had in some quantity. The rare and the interesting are to be asked for.

Not sure what you will be offered if you ask for one bead of cca 1K! (attempted humour)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Polishing costs more them simple carving in Burma. Labour cost and getting the wax into nooks and crannies to shine. China factories may have better tools.

FB page of HK based seller.

Screenshot_20181025-224349_Facebook.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'll ask. I'm...quite unsure of myself through this process - buying online.

I'm looking for a small barrel - shaped bead under 15 mm. Closer to 10 - 12 mm is fine too as I want to hang it on a fine chain. I asked another seller on Facebook and they are sending all sorts of videos but none of them interest me. Not sure how to politely say they are nice but not what I like. They are just ok, you know? That might be a result of my budget and am wondering if I should back off, save more and up the budget? If I knew the terms of jade colors, I could be more specific but when I look them up, different names for different colors.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly, Begonia. I have terms like spicy green, icy (but not icy looking - just looks white to me), water crystal, egg noodle, glutinous type bangle, apple green and imperial green. No idea what they all mean. And I feel like if I say to them oh, actually I am looking for apple green, then suddenly, all the apple greens they show me cost ten thousand times more and I think maybe I am going crazy and imagining it......

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I knew it was going to be a challenge going in with my inexperience. That is really the problem. Jeez, I can only imagine how overwhelming it could be if one was at a market or place where all this jade is sold. Overwhelming but wonderful! A trusted guide would be invaluable. Still, I’m going to forge on and see what crosses my path.
ChaiK - what are you trying to find?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
A cabochon something. No luck. And I hold back because all the greens look the same. And everyone is saying theirs is imperial green.....but they all look different.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yeah - trusting what I’m being told concerns me too. Coming here helps, or I would be alone and beadless. I wish I had some wisdom to pass on to you!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
See if you can find a photo online closest to what you are after, send to the online sellers and get a quote from them.

Apple green runs a whole gamut too :)

I'd save up to get a better barrel if none appeal right now. Colour and translucency will drive up the prices though. Jade rough and cutting jade isn't an exact size. The colour may be fainter after cutting too, as my jewellers have shown me from rough to cut over the years. The price difference may also be owing to how much they had paid for the rough since there is no "set" price.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that is exactly what I will do...save and up the budget. I don't want to frustrate the seller too much if my expectation-for-price is unrealistic.
Being a newbie - that may well be part of it along with not being familiar with jade descriptions. Then too (and this is the worst part), I'm not really sure what I want. I'll know it when I see it...in the translucent white and greens. White with green veining perhaps. I do look online but so many of the photos are glamour shots and the colors would not be true on my neck LOL.
Yes, I'll still try to get them somethingas close as possible - it's the only way to accomplish this.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha remember that skin tends to enhance the colour of jade when worn. Sorry, *exact science. Mistake in previous post.

Imperial green colour is thrown around. But if the dome, proportions and translucency aren't there, it's not considered imperial green jadeite. So the former is way more affordable.

My tiny green jadeite cab ring is the former. Even then it was still a few hundred for the cab, small as it may be!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm starting to see very common shapes in the videos now - like very very fat cheerios. Also tubes like the picture I posted but all the videos are fat cheerios. This must be bc of the doming you are talking about? Makes sense the need the depth for effect of color. Some nice icy jade colors altho all clearish white. For me that is not as interesting in a stone - I do like some opaqueness with veining or speckles.
Glamour shots are both exciting and frustrating. When I get close, I'll ask for a normal lighting shot.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think donuts (cheerios) are more preferred than barrels. I see more donuts than barrels on the b&m stores too. Same case at the gem fair today. Just a buyers' preference I think.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh, ok. Yup, pretty much all donuts. Beautiful donuts tho LOL.
I wish I loved lavender (saw a few of those) - and I do - just not in a bead. A single bead that is. I saw someone's lavender strand here and it was lovely.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My mum visited a couple of months back and got herself a jadeite barrel. This is probably petrol or oily green. Old stock. Opaque. Handcarved. A couple of hundred bucks.

IMG-20181026-WA0004.jpg IMG-20181026-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181026-WA0005.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That’s really lovely Burmesedaze! How does she wear it? Chain or cord...? Carved beads are so beautiful too. A whole other world to explore LOL.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With a thin gold chain :)

It's too dark for my liking but works for my mum I guess.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My mum visited a couple of months back and got herself a jadeite barrel. This is probably petrol or oily green. Old stock. Opaque. Handcarved. A couple of hundred bucks.

IMG-20181026-WA0004.jpg IMG-20181026-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181026-WA0005.jpg

It’s stunning. Normally I don’t like dark green jade but this one is beautiful, maybe because the grain is so fine.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
@Begonia did you try all about jade? I was just browsing their site and there were a few barrels on there under pendants. I don't know much about jade, I'm just learning and haven't even bought any yet, but I thought some of them looked nice!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
No I haven’t clumbelove - just got home from work, but I’ll go check. Thanks!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia the website that @icy_jade posted with 20% off also had some nice beads! I didn't know about barrel beads until you wanted one!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Okay!
Checking...Thank you!!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Okay, where are you talking about...?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks icy_jade. Have you ordered from them before?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks icy_jade. Have you ordered from them before?

Yes quite a few things

I also bought from allaboutjade before. They have more things in the store so again you can write in to check if they have what you are looking for if nothing on the site.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia

Was at AAJ and took this pic for you. As mentioned they have far more stock than what was posted. And mostly less than 1k I think. If you see anything you like you can write in to ask or I can help u check. Just circle the pic.
708480C9-8D3B-44C0-9B20-1004BC53AF48.jpeg
46D4DE46-0540-46E4-A9D1-186327F29305.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results