shape
carat
color
clarity

Jackson Crossroads Amethyst?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I know Amethyst source inquiries have popped up quite a bit on this forum, but I haven't seen a whole lot of info specifically about sources for JXR amethyst, other than mtlilygems. Any others I should contact?

Thanks so much!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Erin :wavey:

You could definitely try speaking with Brad @ The Gem Trader. That is where I got my JXR amethysts.
I know that the mine itself has been sold to new owners, so things are probably changing a bit.

Good luck on your quest for purple goodness!

~ faegrace

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks faegrace!

I don't think I have ever seen any pictures of your jxr amethyst. Do you have any to share ?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Erin ~

I haven't taken photos yet. :oops: My only excuse is that my pics aren't PS caliber.

The distinctive blue flash of the JXR is like a present every time it flashes it's stunning self! My oval shows slight zoning face down.., I think typical to this material as well. However, it faces up beautifully. I have no clue how to set it. I have a matched pair on the way too. A sweet suite, if you will.

What shape, size are you looking for?

~ fae

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Faegrace,

I have a handful of stones that I have purchased recently that I haven't posted yet as my photo capabilities are not pricescope caliber!

Not sure about the size or shape, I was thinking this would be for a RH cocktail ring. I am also looking at four peaks, Uruguay and Zambian and my head is spinning as to which I prefer!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a precision cut one that is very large. Well priced too. I have bought from this dealer before. He specializes in exotic gems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amethyst-48-29c...ultDomain_0&hash=item255962229c#ht_500wt_1156

This one is a bit light. The African material, in particular the Zambian, is very dark, and has lots of blue in it, and red flashes. This is my Zambian. I love it!! I bought it around 14 years ago, when the mines were producing more.

TLzambianamethyst4.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Go to www.digforcrystals.com
He has more JXR amethyst gemstones, rough, crystals than anyone and is even mining and finding crystals at his new location called JXR site 4 and 5. If you ever get a chance to make it to Georgia stop by and check out his shop. He has quite a lot of cut stones and a number that were cut by Jerry Call. He has gemstones from 1ct to 60ct in all kinds of cuts..scissor, portuguese, rouuds, trig's, cushion, square, and many variations in between. He also has huge bag of fantastic zambian amethyst rough that he bought like 8 years ago in Tuscon. I used to buy my zambian material from him and have never found anyone with better rough from there....

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info amethystguy, that is very helpful!

TL, I love that amethyst. But I love all of your gems!

I would love to get a 4 peaks, JXR and a Zamibian and compare them!

I am also trying a 4 peaks from Colorado Gem and Mineral Co...

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Erin ~

Here is my JXR with a few friends....

More%20Stones%20ND%20002.jpg

~ faegrace

PS
Why limit yourself to just one amethyst?!? :naughty You may fall in love with a few, starting your own treasury of purple yumminess!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1308928373|2954003 said:
Thanks for the info amethystguy, that is very helpful!

TL, I love that amethyst. But I love all of your gems!

I would love to get a 4 peaks, JXR and a Zamibian and compare them!

I am also trying a 4 peaks from Colorado Gem and Mineral Co...

Thank you Erini,
I had thought the Zambian mine was under water. My stone is very old material, and I'm not sure how the newer material looks. Much of the amethyst I see nowadays does not have the rich blue/purple background with the quintessential red flashes, which is known in the trade as "Siberian color." Siberian is the top color for amethyst. Much of it, even if it is darker in tone, is very flat, and lacks the red. Therefore, I often post my stone as an example of what to look for because I think that photo does convey the various color play inside of a fine amethyst. I haven't seen much out there in the retail environment or at gem shows with this colorplay, and you always have to be suspicious of hydrothermal amethyst (synthetics), which have the dark color too.

ETA: I had heard on this forum that the old Zambian material is the best of the best, so if you can score some of that old material, it might be worth it. I have not seen four peaks in person, but I hear it's also very beautiful. The old Uruguayan material is gorgeous too. Just stay away from Brazilian material. Almost all of it is very pale, flat and not that saturated. I'm sure there's exceptions, but that's what I've noticed over the years. Most of the inexpensive amethyst you see in jewelry at mall stores, and on television shopping channels is Brazilian.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Touching on what TL said.., Siberian amethyst tends to be dark, dark, dark. I had a conversation with Barry about amethyst when I was looking for a ring stone. He said that though the darker material is somehow the standard, it basically turns black in dimmer lighting and also has that tendency when set. He actually steered me away from one of his more expensive ovals because he felt it wouldn't set as nicely as the lighter (still medium though), less expensive amethyst. TL's amethyst does a fine job of flashing the array of colors that can make or break an amethyst, IMHO.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
faegrace|1308941231|2954190 said:
Touching on what TL said.., Siberian amethyst tends to be dark, dark, dark. I had a conversation with Barry about amethyst when I was looking for a ring stone. He said that though the darker material is somehow the standard, it basically turns black in dimmer lighting and also has that tendency when set. He actually steered me away from one of his more expensive ovals because he felt it wouldn't set as nicely as the lighter (still medium though), less expensive amethyst. TL's amethyst does a fine job of flashing the array of colors that can make or break an amethyst, IMHO.

Thanks Facegrace. Actually I think dark flat amethyst can go very black in dimmer lighting. My stone does not at all. It's a medium dark tone, and it is very saturated, and in artificial light, it can go very reddish. The above was taken in indirect sunlight. There is a difference between dark toned amethyst that is not saturated and stones that are saturated. I have a "learner" amethyst, that is very dark, and I don't like it at all.

As for the Zambian amethyst above, when I first bought that stone from a gem dealer many many years ago, he had a darker one and that one which he sent me, and I picked the lighter toned one. The other one was way too dark, and I'm glad I passed over it. My eye for color was still not that great, and I always had assumed darker tone meant better saturation, but it does not.

If you look at much of the Imperial Royal Russian amethyst owned by the Czars, that was the original "Siberian" amethyst as the color was first found in the Urals of Russia (hence the name "Siberian"). Their stones are not dark at all. This is a bad photo of Catheine the Great's earrings, and as you can see, not too dark. They were mined in the Urals.

http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/jewels-of-the-tsars/romanoff-amethyst-girandolen.htm

Some more links to royal amethysts can be seen here. Awful photos, but most of these stones probably came from the Urals.
http://theroyaluniverse.com/amethyst-royal-jewels-february/

Having seen candid shots of royals wearing these gems, I don't think they look dark at all. While I don't like amethyst that is too light in tone (Brazilian), I don't think dark tone necessarily makes for an attractive stone as well. There needs to be saturation going on there.

The gemtrader had a Zambian for sale recently, and in this photo you can see some red flashes.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Mar 11 ZAmethyst Page.htm

Some really fine amethyst can be mistaken for Tanzanite in certain lighting. I know mine can in sunlight since that tends to bring out more of the blue in the stone.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I always love when you post a photo of your amethyst. I saved that photo as a reminder of what to look for, because my learner amethysts were so disappointing I gave up on that species for a long time. Thanks for the links, too, I really enjoyed looking at all those beautiful and historical ammies.

Faegrace, your family photo made me smile, it's a lovely gathering!

Erinl, I'm looking forward to seeing what you find!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Aoife ~

Thank you for the :)

~ faegrace

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I contacted Brad at the Gemtrader to see what he has for JXR amethyst--he has several in stock and I am awaiting pictures and specs--thanks for the info Faegrace. I will also contact digforcrystals, especially if I am not in love with the ones I see through Brad

I am holding myself back from seeking a Zambian right now. Control yourself Erin....... ;-)

In the meantime, I am also having this 7.76 carat Four Peaks from Colorado Gem and Mineral mailed to me:

5319_small.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that's what I think of when I see Siberian color. It gets very reddish like that in some lighting.

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
For what it is worth, it was a VERY fun and fulfilling experience for me to source some JXR rough, then work directly with a cutter (George Ellis) to get my finished gemstones. If just hunting down and buying a finished gem is your thing, then you should go that way.

Color, is like other things. It's all about personal preferences. Four Peaks stuff to me is just kind of blah. Some folks swear by it though and that's cool. Zambian stuff is fairly comparable to fine JXR. For me, I can't get past the blue flash in the JXR's coupled with the fact I have personally busted up dirt there. I know, it's an unfair fight for anything else to catch my eye.

Keep your eyes peeled for some JXR's that have been pictured on here to show up on one of the major auction websites if you don't find anything you like elsewhere. I have been mulling it over for a few weeks now and I think the time is right to move some of my JXR's in my personal collection to make room for some new stuff.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
erinl said:
In the meantime, I am also having this 7.76 carat Four Peaks from Colorado Gem and Mineral mailed to me:

Very nice ammy ::)

Hmmm, have u also considered an Extra Fine grade Uruguayan Amethyst? I've searched for a nice, saturated amethyst for a long time and just recently, I finally bought my 1st ever grape treasure. It's an Emerald Cut Uruguay material & I guess it's all worth the wait ::)

Best wishes on your fine Amethyst hunt! Excited to see some RL photos of that 4 peaks from Colorado Gem :wavey:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1308942351|2954203 said:
faegrace|1308941231|2954190 said:

Thanks Facegrace. Actually I think dark flat amethyst can go very black in dimmer lighting. My stone does not at all. It's a medium dark tone, and it is very saturated, and in artificial light, it can go very reddish. The above was taken in indirect sunlight. There is a difference between dark toned amethyst that is not saturated and stones that are saturated. I have a "learner" amethyst, that is very dark, and I don't like it at all.

As for the Zambian amethyst above, when I first bought that stone from a gem dealer many many years ago, he had a darker one and that one which he sent me, and I picked the lighter toned one. The other one was way too dark, and I'm glad I passed over it. My eye for color was still not that great, and I always had assumed darker tone meant better saturation, but it does not.

If you look at much of the Imperial Royal Russian amethyst owned by the Czars, that was the original "Siberian" amethyst as the color was first found in the Urals of Russia (hence the name "Siberian"). Their stones are not dark at all. This is a bad photo of Catheine the Great's earrings, and as you can see, not too dark. They were mined in the Urals.

http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/jewels-of-the-tsars/romanoff-amethyst-girandolen.htm

Some more links to royal amethysts can be seen here. Awful photos, but most of these stones probably came from the Urals.
http://theroyaluniverse.com/amethyst-royal-jewels-february/

Having seen candid shots of royals wearing these gems, I don't think they look dark at all. While I don't like amethyst that is too light in tone (Brazilian), I don't think dark tone necessarily makes for an attractive stone as well. There needs to be saturation going on there.

The gemtrader had a Zambian for sale recently, and in this photo you can see some red flashes.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Mar 11 ZAmethyst Page.htm

Some really fine amethyst can be mistaken for Tanzanite in certain lighting. I know mine can in sunlight since that tends to bring out more of the blue in the stone.

She selected her lovers with more taste than her stones... Sorry, TL, I like your amethyst more. Her spinels were huge, but not the best.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Orlov_greg.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Levitsky_lanskoy.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Rodney at Digforcrystals also has a huge bag of real good zambian amethyst rough. He bought like 5 kilos of gpood gemgrade stuff in Tuscon 13-15 years ago. I bought 300 grams of it and sold it like hotcakes. The color is very consistant and most are fairly clean with some good pickers. Lots of blue and all are well shaped for yield as all good gemgade zambian material is cobbed anbd has been for years. I bought lots of them from him and they were one of my best selling pieces of rough which was surprising for amethyst. They are all similar to TL's stones color. Pretty much the material from JXR is identical to zambian but the zambian will always be more consistant in color from one stone to the next where as JXR will be very random with gemgrade cleans ones that have the flash of a zambian fairly rare. Literally tons and tons come from zambia each year and have been for 30-40 years where as JXR is only a little 1-2 acre site with maybe not even one ton worth of gemgrade material coming out in it's lifetime(20 years+). Still the finest amethyst I have seen out of all the ones I have seen and sold is a piece of rough Rodney has from JXR...the color is the best I have ever seen (amethystguy has seen lots of amethyst hence the name) and not only that it's big100+cts and clean clean clean. If you want blue flash try to snag some zambian as you can't go wrong...the JXR material typically needs to be hand selected to suit your needs since some will have not much blue in them and others will have tons and what one person considers a lot of blue another may not. I know he has some zambian rough left as of 3 weeks ago..no cut stones and he has lots of JXR material in all forms.

Does anyone know from whom Brad at Gemtrader gets his JXR material?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dana at Mastercutgems also has a stash of fine Zambian amethyst. Here are three cabochons which I purchased from him a while back. This picture was taken next to a window and under a lamp. You can see the reflections of the lamp and the window to the right of each stone. On the left side is the light after it has passed through the amethyst. Notice that the light from the lamp is reddish in color, while the light from the window comes through as blue.

Attachments

• Zambian amethyst cabs.bmp
    506.3 KB · Views: 1,502

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I got some pictures of available JXR from Brad at Gemtrader. Here are my two favorites, a 3.79 round and a 5.36 oval. Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks again!

JXR3_79ct.gif

JXR5_36ct_I.gif

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Erin ~

I'm glad he got some photos to you! First, let me say that my experience is that Brad's photos do not do the JXR amethyst justice. I realize it's all you have to go on, but please keep that in mind. Second, of these two I prefer the oval. Being larger in size, it is naturally a darker, richer color. It's actually very similar to mine. ;))

I received my JXR oval pair from Brad today. They are extremely well-matched. Keep this in mind if you ever want a suite. :naughty: I think your idea to compare amethyst from various regions is a good one, Erin. Each person is obviously drawn to different gems. Even the pair, smaller ovals than my other JXR, have that incredible blue flash.

~ faegrace

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
erinl|1309224778|2956684 said:
Hi All,

I got some pictures of available JXR from Brad at Gemtrader. Here are my two favorites, a 3.79 round and a 5.36 oval. Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks again!

Those both look pretty good to me. Also, kudos for the good pictures that Brad took of those. As I have stated several times before, those things are SUPER-tough to photograph and get to look like what your eyes see in person. The blue-flash that JXR's are known for is a subtle difference than what your eyes are used to seeing in amethyst unless you are specifically looking for it. Once you see one in person, you'll know what I mean.

If I had to choose between those two stones, I would go with the round. Could be just a shape thing with me, but I personally find it more visually appealing to the eye, at least in the photos.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Erin ~

Have you decided yea or nay on the JXR?

~ faegrace

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Faegrace,

I ordered both, I really liked the size of the oval and the color looked great, but something about the round kept calling me. He also had a couple other ovals and a square radiant, but the two I purchased appealed to me the most. I have three 4 peaks stones coming to me soon. So sometime later this week I will be having an American amethyst viewing party--JXR and 4 Peaks!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
:appl: Woo-hoo! I cannot wait to see them.

One of the reasons I purchased a JXR in the first place was because having an American gem really appealed to me.

Cheers ~
faegrace

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Faegrace:

I have an Arizona peridot, three Arizona amethysts, and two Georgia amethysts coming to me this week. I guess in celebration of the 4th! :lol:

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
amethystguy|1309010196|2954748 said:
Rodney at Digforcrystals also has a huge bag of real good zambian amethyst rough. He bought like 5 kilos of gpood gemgrade stuff in Tuscon 13-15 years ago. I bought 300 grams of it and sold it like hotcakes. The color is very consistant and most are fairly clean with some good pickers. Lots of blue and all are well shaped for yield as all good gemgade zambian material is cobbed anbd has been for years. I bought lots of them from him and they were one of my best selling pieces of rough which was surprising for amethyst. They are all similar to TL's stones color. Pretty much the material from JXR is identical to zambian but the zambian will always be more consistant in color from one stone to the next where as JXR will be very random with gemgrade cleans ones that have the flash of a zambian fairly rare. Literally tons and tons come from zambia each year and have been for 30-40 years where as JXR is only a little 1-2 acre site with maybe not even one ton worth of gemgrade material coming out in it's lifetime(20 years+). Still the finest amethyst I have seen out of all the ones I have seen and sold is a piece of rough Rodney has from JXR...the color is the best I have ever seen (amethystguy has seen lots of amethyst hence the name) and not only that it's big100+cts and clean clean clean. If you want blue flash try to snag some zambian as you can't go wrong...the JXR material typically needs to be hand selected to suit your needs since some will have not much blue in them and others will have tons and what one person considers a lot of blue another may not. I know he has some zambian rough left as of 3 weeks ago..no cut stones and he has lots of JXR material in all forms.

Does anyone know from whom Brad at Gemtrader gets his JXR material?

Just to piggyback off of AmethystGuy, I went digging out in the JXR are at a newer find, but in the same area today. Found a lot of crystals, but were lacking on color and clarity. That being said, if you are looking to get a JXR, let me reassure you that you are getting a rarity when you get one. There's just not that much facet-grade stuff from there floating around. Also, Rodney from Digforcrystals did have some very nice Zambian rough still in stock. I picked up 2 pieces myself since it was pretty good stuff. After I get them cut, I will try and do some side by side comparison photos with my JXR gems and post them up here. It will probably 3-4 months out though before that happens.

Hope you like the JXR's you ordered. I think they will be fine looking gems when you get them. Just remember, they will looking kind of junky in incandescent lighting, but they will sparkle like mad in sunlight and "daylight" flourescents.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Heywood and I cooked today out at site 4. We found about 1/2 gallon of pieces right in the veins, but nothing would get an "Ah". There are others to cut before I get to those pieces.

I have 2 pieces of Zambian from Rodney (and both guys mentioning it are the ones who gave it to me.) It is that ultra-fine color you see in the Uraguay stuff. Unlike JXR though, it does not have a blue component that I have seen.

On JXR, I have seen JXR at both ends. The first crystal I found is flawless, and looks like a Herkimer that has a hint of purple. It sits in the front of my collection of stones. I have also cut a piece that was a 10mm SRB and almost too dark. It was collected by one of the pro mineral guys from South Carolina. But it would still get blue flashs and red ones indoors. The lighter pieces are less pronounced on the flash.

If you are buying JXR rough in person, watch for this. The color can strongly zone in many of the stones. Look at piece from all angles. That strong color will make the whole stone be very purple. Also, it must be clean. Any clay can make it look darker than it is. When it is zoned, inspect along the dark zone line and along the clear zone line. Look for cracks at these places. The cracks can change yield and the amount of inclusions in the stone if you go for size. They can also fail in a cut stone, so be aware. Having a zoned piece is NOT a bad thing. A faceter will orient the darkest part into the pavilion and it will saturate the whole stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results