shape
carat
color
clarity

J with medium fluorescent blue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
would the medium fluor bump it up to H? or even G?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 4:24:49 PM
Author:swl
Do you mean visually - that a J with med blue could be mistaken for a G or H colour? It would be hard to predict that it would help a diamond face up to match a certain colour grade or even how much medium blue would have an effect....It might help a J face up a bit whiter perhaps but as to any great extent such as 3 to 4 colour grades I wouldn't think so. Maybe one of the experts can tell you more if they have compared such diamonds in person.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:30:35 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 4/2/2009 4:24:49 PM

Author:swl

Do you mean visually - that a J with med blue could be mistaken for a G or H colour? It would be hard to predict that it would help a diamond face up to match a certain colour grade or even how much medium blue would have an effect....It might help a J face up a bit whiter perhaps but as to any great extent such as 3 to 4 colour grades I wouldn''t think so. Maybe one of the experts can tell you more if they have compared such diamonds in person.

ya, that''s what i mean, visually facing up.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
I know this is no help but you''d really have to see the stone in person and compare it with a G or H to see how much the fluorescence is contributing to the color. Each stone is different. There are no hard and fast rules.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If you see the fluoro it's only going to be under certain conditions like black lights or direct sunlight. So while it may help the stone look whiter, it won't all the time.

That said, I have a K and a G. there are times when i see no color at all in my K. Then there are times, when it's quite obvious.

I think most people can see a color difference within a few grades. Like Plethora said, you need to see them, and away from jewelry store lights to decide what you're comfortable with.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Cut also has a lot to do with how the color grade of a diamond is perceived face up. I have an I color cushion that is so sparkly no one would ever guess it''s an I color. Going down to an I color but making sure it had a good cut was the BEST decision I ever made :)

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. If it is a very well cut stone, a blue fluorescence might help it look like a H face up-wise. But only under certain bright light conditions, not all. Personally I think a well cut J with MB fluorescence punches above its weight...
9.gif

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
There are many perceptions of the effects of fluorescence on diamonds though the GIA in their study of this subject (see http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf) found little impact of fluorescence except in some cases with strong blue fluorescence.

The GIA concluded that even the experienced observers did not consistently agree on the effects of fluorescence from one stone to the next - so I would say that it is difficult to predict the answer to your question without seeing the diamond in different lighting conditions and the answer would dependd on the colour sensitivity of the observer and the lighting conditions.

Even without fluorescence, it is hard for many observers to see a difference FACE-UP between colours in the same group e.g. D-F, G-J: hence FACE-UP up G to J are all considered "near colourless".

Here is a summary from that GIA study:

"Some gem diamonds fluoresce, most commonly blue, to the concentrated long-wave ultraviolet radiation of a UV lamp. There is a perception in the trade that this fluorescence has a negative effect on the overall appearance of such a diamond. Visual observation experiments were conducted to study this relationship. Four sets of very similar round brilliant diamonds, covering the color range from colorless to faint yellow, were selected for the different commonly encountered strengths of blue fluorescence they represented. These diamonds were then observed by trained graders, trade professionals, and average observers in various stone positions and lighting environments. For the average observer, meant to represent the jewelry buying public, no systematic effects of fluorescence were detected. Even the experienced observers did not consistently agree on the effects of fluorescence from one stone to the next. In general, the results revealed that strongly blue fluorescent diamonds were perceived to have a better color appearance when viewed table-up, with no discernible trend table-down. Most observers saw no relationship between fluorescence and transparency." For more information."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results